Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAM compatible with 3930K and ASUS P9X79 PRO + more

Explorer ,
Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all-knowledgeable computer friends,          

I am taking the plunge and am about to purchase these parts via newegg for ~$2000 to complete my DIY Premiere Pro 6/AE video editing computer for DSLR footage. I would love any feedback possible. What do you love/what do you hate? What should I change?

Some questions:

-Can anyone double-check my RAM, motherboard, & CPU compatibility? 

-Should I invest in a cooling fan?

-Will 750w be enough for PSU?

-Which RAM should I go with, 1600 or 1866 with the 3930k? Ripjaws a good selection?

[MOBO]

ASUS P9X79 PRO LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS

[RAM]

I can’t decide between the 1600 and 1866? Will one be more compatible with my CPU?  Intel’s website lists the 3930k compatible with 1600 only I think? Anyone know? G. Skill seems like a good option for my configuration (unless anyone thinks otherwise please let me know).

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 32 GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q2-32GBZL

• Vs.

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9Q2-32GBZL

[CPU]

Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73930K

[GPU]

EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1572-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI

[DRIVES]

What is the best configuration with these drives? I’m think SSD for programs, etc. but then what? Should I RAID0 the two 1TB?

Plextor M3 Series PX-128M3 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

(x2) Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

[PSU]

I am still trying to figure out this one? Anyone have any recommendations? I have an old 750w PSU that I think may work?

[CARD READER/DVD]

Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port / Extra silver face plate

DVD-RW from old computer

[CASE]

I have a large Antec case from previous computer.

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Jun 04, 2012 Jun 04, 2012

The Samsungs are definitely compatible and just may require a few tweaks. The G-Skill compatibility is completely dependant on the modules used in that batch and the systemboard compatibility updates and whether the QVL has changed because of module changes. The Samsung definitely will mean a stable system if set right. The G-Skills I can't say for sure because of the question marks.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2012 Jul 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I am planning out a new system and it will have a 3930K and the P9X79 WS. I want to have 64GB of ram so I was looking at the G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series. I was wondering if there is a huge diffrence between buying the 8 x 8GB kit of buying two of the 4 x 8GB kit, because they are normally about the same price but the 4 x 8 is currently on sale on newegg for $30 less each so it would be $60 cheeper to get the two kits. Is that worth it or do you still think it's better to buy the 8 x 8 kit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Difficult question to answer, but a very valid one. If the XMP profiles are the same (hard to tell from the packaging, though) and given the fact that the two sets are installed in different banks, also electrically, you will likely have no problems with two sets of four, but is it worth the risk and potential hassle if you run into problems? I can't answer it for myself at the moment, let alone advise you. Maybe Eric can bow in with his reactions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On newegg the 4 x 8 kit says Intel XMP support for 1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors. For the 8 x 8 it says Intel XMP 1.3 ready. I don't know if this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You normally want to avoid using multiple kits incase the ram is from different builds/revisions. If you feel the benefit out ways the possible problems and test the ram well then it may be worth the savings. Keep in mind though that the likely chance of problems grow in this scenario.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 19, 2012 Aug 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish the question of RAM for a X79 - i73930K - LGA 2011 rig were simple, and that there were more 8 stick/64GB kits available in stores.

By what I I've read in these forums, the X79's sound difficult to get running at first, because of the RAM.

The more I read, the less confident I am about building a LGA 2011 platform PC. Especially considering it will be my first ever build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines