• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The cheapest video card for rendering Premiere Pro

New Here ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys! Help! I'm not experienced user. I need a very cheap discrete video card for my computer which take part in video rendering (accelerating) in order to render videos faster. As far as I understand - I need nvidia, but will for example very cheap gt 710 2 gb, gddr5, take part in finishing video rendering to do it faster and if yes then how faster that finish rendering (%) than without it? I need it for a few weeks replacing it with another videocard, so I don't want to spend much. Thank you!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gt 720 wont do anything but just sit there.

Check the list of supported cards.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC System Requirements

Nvidia and AMD are not supported for accelerted encoding for h264/hvec yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. I know this list, but all cheaper video cards do not take part as GPU acceleration for rendering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know the list of recommended video cards my question to experienced users is: what is the cheapest way for temporary computer? Which descrete video card is cheapest for rendering videos? Not for any comfort performance, but for SOME acceleration of rendering process. Sorry, maybe I explain very bad what I mean as English is not my native language. Video cards cost a lot of money in some countries having huge price difference from one class performance to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the GT 710 is completely useless for GPU acceleration - to the point where it might actually be even slower and weaker than software-only (CPU-only) rendering. And what's more, almost all GT 710s only come with extremely slow DDR3 RAM that's actually slower and more constrained than even your PC's main system RAM! That severely bottlenecks the performance of even everyday apps - those that don't even utilize the GPU at all whatsoever. These actually decelerate overall system performance, to the point where overall performance would actually be as slow as or slower than a mainstream system that's 14 years old. I would not take the GT 710 even if it were completely free. And to top that off, driver support will be EOL'd for all remaining Kepler desktop GPUs, including that GT 710, within the next few months (with the GPU support first going into the legacy support phase while driver improvements will continue with Maxwell and newer GPUs).

And even a newer GT 1030, despite being more powerful than that GT 710 (which IMHO is now a total waste of money at any price), still barely performs on a par with current integrated Intel UHD Graphics. That makes it a waste of money at its current street price.

So, if those cheap GPUs totally suck (or at the very least a ripoff at their current street prices), then what to get?

You will not like my answer, but you will have to spend at least triple that budget just to get a GPU that does not slow down your overall system performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, but Gygabyte gt 710 goes with GDDR5 2 GB and it is still very popular for office computers due to hundreds of online feedbacks. Anyways, I want to understand which one is supported by program itself for rendering acceleration, not thinking about comfort, but cheapest performance now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here is that the GPU itself is still much too weak to be of any use in Premiere Pro regardless of the memory used. The GT 710 has only 192 CUDA cores, whereas newer versions of Premiere Pro demand more than 1,000 CUDA cores for GPU acceleration to function properly.

And by the way, a GPU with that level of performance would be a fine fit for an office PC - simply because most office PCs have CPUs that are much too weak for anything besides light word processing use (meaning that the CPUs in such systems are completely unsuitable for anything video-editing-related). However, the typical video editing system has a far more powereful CPU, which would cause the CPU/GPU performance balance to become severely imbalanced. To the point of severely degrading the performance of everything (software-wise) on such a higher-performance system.

What I had described is bottlenecking. In other words, a higher-performance system otherwise will not only be GPU-bound, but will also be heavily bottlenecked as well. And in a video editing system, you will want to completely avoid bottlenecking at all costs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2022 Oct 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, guys. Thanks a lot for your help. I highly appreciate it. I’ve concluded that a cheap card is not an option because I won’t be able to edit videos. So, I decided to save some money 2 months ago. Eventually, I bought an AMD card according to the amd radeon r7 250 graphic card reviews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the amd radeon r7 250 graphic card reviews. It’s the best card I’ve managed to find, actually. So, I’ve been using it for more than a week. It has a great performance, so I recommend you consider this option. I understand it’s not the cheapest, but it’s worth it, man. Anyway, keep us updated on your choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hate to break the news to you, but all R7 and R9 GPUs are now completely obsolete, according to AMD. All GCN GPUs older than the RX 400 series had been placed into "legacy" support status in June of last year. This means no more driver updates ever from AMD itself after that date.

A similar situation occurs with older Nvidia GPUs: All remaining Kepler desktop GPUs were placed into legacy support status at the beginning of October of last year, meaning no more driver updates to fix compatibility issues (only critical security fixes will continue until October 2024).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines