• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using separate SSD or M.2 units, for scratch/temp files

Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started an intro thread, for non-IT-experts, on the basics of moving from spinning drives, to SSD or M.2 units. That thread is here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/Video-Hardware/Intro-for-non-experts-to-upgrading-from-spinning-hard-...

A very interesting reply was posted, re: using separate SSD drives to handle scratch/temp files. I can see the logic in doing that, but a couple of questions arise, including, has anyone who has tried that approach ever done any actual speed comparison tests, when generating a large video file (such as, say 2 Gb or greater)?

And, is that approach recommended, or discouraged?

Please keep this simple. I really would rather NOT get into digressions re: RAID, or other accelerator options, or other software/hardware packages that can be added on. I don't work at that level, and I'm just trying to ask a basic, straightforward question, which I hopes merits a direct answer. If there are links to other good threads, which get into those other questions, fine; feel free to post those, preferably with a quick summary/explanation, written for us non-expert proles; but, no rabbit-hole openings, please, 'cuz my horse stepped into one and broke his leg, once, and he hates them.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For most people, the difference will be negligable. 

If you're looking to build a "top of the line" editor, then I'd say go for it. 

Some people who have workflows that use thousands of small audio files, for example, would see a noticeable improvement. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't do a comparison test, since I only have a computer with 4 SSD drives... and my old spinning platter computer was based on a slower motherboard and CPU anyway

An EXAMPLE concerning trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing... this was written for spinning platter drives, so an SSD will be better since there is no physical read/write head to move... I do not know how MUCH better, so I built my computer with 4 SSD drives for maximum speed
You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like the operating system pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do file housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions
Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work
You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand
A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing
You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition on one drive) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines