Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What configuration do you recommend?

Explorer ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have

1 disc M.2 Samsung 250Gb-> Windows 10 and programs Adobe.

1 disc SSD Intel

2 disc HDD  in RAID 0 2Tb

1 RAM Disk.

That I recommend for Premiere to work properly?

I can configure to make this configuration default and not have to change the settings with each Project?

thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend losing the RAM disk, then work towards the following

C: System

D: Project files, audio files, still images

E: Cache & Scratch

F: Camera media/proxies

G: Exports

This will offer both excellent performance and easy organization.

C, D and E can be SSDs.  F and G will typically need the most space, and while they can be SSDs, those tend to get very expensive at larger sizes,so HDDs might be the better option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you set the program to have this setting by default?

It's annoying to have to set up every time each Project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well here is the way I would set up those components.

1. Intel 330 for the OS/Applications
  2. Samsung 960 EVO for Projects, Media and exports.
  3. Break the RAID and use the two hard disk drives Independently
  • Using the 960 EVO for the OS/Applications is a waste of this very high speed SSD because after booting up Premiere Pro runs at memory speed, use it for your Project files and media
  • Leave the Adobe default location for the Media Cache, Media Cache Files folders on the boot drive, SATA III at 6 Gbits/second is fast enough.unless you are producing feature length productions.
  • Get rid of the RAID 0 which has no redundancy and use the two drives independently for your backup and archiving
  • When you finish a project move it, the media and exports to the hard disk drives to make room for the next project.
  • This is a minimum setup solution,  All new projects and media go to the Samsung. No moving of files for This is what I use on my laptop and desktop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could supply more details on your SSD's it would help  Just saying M.2 or Intel does not give us specific details so we can best help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always thought that in RAID 0 you get a lot of read/write speed, especially in 4k projects.

I hadn't thought of installing the OS and applications on the SSD Intel and leaving the M. 2 for files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Nano+Kan_Pro  wrote

I have always thought that in RAID 0 you get a lot of read/write speed, especially in 4k projects.

It also carries a significant risk:

You lose everything on all of the drives in that RAID 0 array if even one disk fails. To the point where it becomes astronomically expensive, if not completely impossible, to recover. In fact, "RAID 0" should not even be called "RAID" at all - but just "AID" (without the "R").

And even the fastest 2-disk SATA HDD RAID 0 is still slower than a single SATA III SSD, let alone a PCIe m.2 SSD.

And if you have that much video content to work with in a single session, there is absolutely no free lunch: You either spend an astronomical amount of money (thousands of dollars) for ultra-large-capacity SSDs or a super-expensive RAID controller that does the job properly (unlike motherboard RAID controllers that misuse CPU resources that could have been utilized for performance enhancements).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

even the fastest 2-disk SATA HDD RAID 0 is still slower than a single SATA III SSD, let alone a PCIe m.2 SSD.

But a hell of a lot larger and cheaper.  And whether one RAIDs or not, camera footage should always be backup up for easy recovery.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines