• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What would be a good budget GPU for a modest system setup for premiere pro / after effects?

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My system is using a E5 2670 2.6GHz 8 core CPU, 64GB DDR3 , 500 GB SSD, Win 7 64 pro, it came with a Quadro 5000 someone suggested a GTX 1650 Super  with 4 GB of VRAM.......

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you heard does not apply, in your case. Windows 7 support had already been terminated by Microsoft itself this past January. And all currently available versions of Premiere Pro and After Effects now require Windows 10 just to even run at all. The last version of both programs that were compatible with Windows 7, the 2018 versions, is now no longer officially available anywhere.

In other words, as long as that PC continues to run Windows 7, you're stuck forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can run a duel OS with win 10 so that's not an issue any thoughts as to my question concerning a GPU?   Thanks for input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although your CPU has 8 cores and 16 threads, your system's throughput to the GPU will be limited by its PCI-e 2.0 connection. Sandy Bridge EP CPUs still supported only PCI-e 2.0. PCI-e 3.0 is not supported until the advent of the v2 versions of those Xeons (Ivy Bridge EP).

With that said, the GTX 1650 SUPER is a good starting point; however, I would prefer a GTX 1660 SUPER with 6 GB of VRAM if you're going to do 4k frequently. Don't overspend on a higher-end GPU as it will be bottlenecked by the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth: If anything, the overall performance of that now-eight-year-old 8-core CPU-based PC will be no better than a 5-year-old quad-core CPU-based PC in Premiere Pro given identical GPUs and disks.

The Quadro 5000 is now no longer supported by Adobe at all, except in the super-slow-mo software-only rendering mode, as all support from Nvidia itself for that GPU had ended in January of 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

since I'm buying a refurbished system through amazon prime ( I'm off grid in Hawaii and that's my only option ) I can change my system to a newer i7 quad, I'm not finding specs for the PCI connections but the processer speeds are higher but ram would be 32 Gigs.

I was told,  CPU is first consideration, then Ram, SSD, lastly the GPU

Your imput would be very helpful and much appresiated

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The newer i7 quad would almost certainly use PCI-e 3.0 for the connection between the CPU and the primary GPU slot. That old 2011/12-era CPU still used the lower-throughput PCI-e 2.0 for that connection.

And the GPU being (relatively speaking) last recommendation no longer holds true. In fact, a severely underpowered GPU will bottleneck the CPU's performance, while a GPU that's severely overqualified for the CPU will also fail to function at its optimum performance capability. With video editing programs these days that offer a significant amount of GPU-based hardware acceleration, you will want a slightly overqualified GPU - but not seriously so. This is why I am suggesting the GTX 1660 SUPER as the best match for that 8-year-old CPU that's restricted to PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines