• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Adobe Premiere Pro CS Run/Work On A 32-bit Edition Of Windows 7?

Sep 03, 2012 Sep 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to know if Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 will be able ot run/work on a

32-bit version of Windows 7.

I.E. on a laptop. Yes, The laptop will be just able to run the program, providedthe program will run on a 32-bit operaing system.

Thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alex,

It can be similar, when a high-end graphics user looks to a standardized computer supplier. They sell and build for 99.0% of the computer users out there. Few have a clue what Photoshop, PrPro, or After Effects even requires. They have a set menu, with but a few choices.

That is why one will see recommendations for companies, like ADK, who understand the programs, and what it takes to build for those programs.

Some years ago, I spent some time looking for a custom builder, who was local to me. I interviewed several shops, and not one had a clue what I was talking about. Most of their recs. were horribly off-base, and in some cases detrimental to using my Adobe programs. They just did not know what I needed, and would tout how many servers they just delivered to Honeywell, or how many desktops they built for AIG. Finally, I found one fellow, who built specialized systems for medical imaging, and he knew ALL of my Adobe programs.

Most folk just do not get it, and that is where this forum becomes very handy indeed.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2012 Sep 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most folk just do not get it, and that is where this forum becomes very handy indeed.

I take it, calling Adobe for a referral to a good local integrator - wouldn't be very effective?

Back in the pre-FireWire days of Adobe forum being on Compuserve and Bertel Schmitt sysop-ing it, things were simpler, in a way. The main way to get a video editing system was through an authorized VAR, for better or for worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it, calling Adobe for a referral to a good local integrator - wouldn't be very effective?

Back in the pre-FireWire days of Adobe forum being on Compuserve and Bertel Schmitt sysop-ing it, things were simpler, in a way. The main way to get a video editing system was through an authorized VAR, for better or for worse.

It would not be very effective because the company itself tends to be biased towards HP and Dell - the "big corporations" in the PC business. As such, they tend to favor companues that deliver the poorest bang for the buck (or one that charges the absolute highest price for any given level of performance). Sadly, the local integrators aren't much better these days: They build mostly office configurations with minimal RAM and minimal graphics - and few of them stock any higher-end parts at all whatsoever. And most of the local integrators I've been to recently sell mostly used parts that are two or more generations old and carry few if any current-generation parts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would not be very effective because the company itself tends to be biased towards HP and Dell - the "big corporations" in the PC business. As such, they tend to favor companues that deliver the poorest bang for the buck (or one that charges the absolute highest price for any given level of performance).

This sounds like some sort of a sinister conspiracy for Adobe to recommend "big corporations" for no good reason.

This also sounds like you'd have to be absolute bonkers to recommend a Z820.

Uhm, a little extreme?

I agree with you though that purely on PPBM-score-to-price ratio, the big ones (HP, Dell, Boxx, etc.) trail behind most customs or DIYs.  This doesn't mean there is absolutely no good reason to recommend a Z820.

Also agree that calling Adobe might not be very effective - probably because their sales reps simply don't know who the good local integrators are - not because they blatantly promote "big corps".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also sounds like you'd have to be absolute bonkers to recommend a Z820

Not for people with deep wallets. If your name is Bill Gates or you can charge it to the company account, a HP Z820 is nice. With a single E5-2643 CPU, and a nVidia Quadro 4000, and for the rest very comparable to my own build as it currently stands, the Z820 is only € 7530 versus my costs at € 4125 (but you can easily deduct € 550 from that last amount to make the chassis comparable, so € 3575). Same amount of memory, same SSD's, same BD-R's, similar Gold+ PSU, only HP has a Quadro 4000 and I have a GTX 680/4G and the HP has a simple E5-2643 and I have an i7-3930K. But my system has 15 hot-swappable bays for 3.5" disks and 4 hot-swappable bays for 2.5" drives and a multicard reader included, all missing from the Z820. I have space for 31 3.5"disks, the HP not even a quarter of that. So the conclusion must be that HP is at least twice as expensive as my own build.

Why do you think licences for Adobe products are so expensive? To justify the huge costs of their HP systems they demonstrate on every road-show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm, far reaching conclusions based on a single example - that's just not like you. Or is it?  A single socket system against a dual one, capable of up to 512GB ECC RAM?  Harm, is that you?

At the very least, use similar systems with equal or similar components (a Q4K against a Q4K, not a GTX), and follow your own rules by choosing the bare minimum Z820 (or a Z420) config with the right core components, and then add on to that. That may be a GTX-680 or a Q4K, HP or 3rd party memory.

Did you have a chance to ask your son if there are engineering reasons to buy an HP or Dell?

Nobody asked you to buy your superserver components at a Beverly Hills boutique shop - so why would pitch the most expensive way to configure a Z820, against your DIY single socket build?  Harm, is that you?

Sure, HP workstations will always cost more than the sum of equal or similar COTS components.  There'd be no way to include a 3-year on-site warranty in the price otherwise, or include the same level of R&D and engineering that went into it.  At the same time, the total cost is usually within US$1-2K of a similar DIY build - (added) which, by the way, is in line with ADK pricing - for a very, very good reason.

The last remark, about the cost of Adobe licenses? Harm, is that you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the very least, use similar systems with equal or similar components (a Q4K against a Q4K, not a GTX), and follow your own rules by choosing the bare minimum Z820 (or a Z420) config with the right core components, and then add on to that. That may be a GTX-680 or a Q4K, HP or 3rd party memory.

The similarity is single hexa core CPU, both 64 GB memory, both dual BD-R burners, both dual 256 GB SSD's, both Gold+ PSU, etc. There is no alternative for the HP configuration that makes it somewhat similar to my build. The price difference is clear. Even if I were to change my GTX to a Quadro 4000, it would only increase the cost of my system by € 91. If I were to get a similarly clocked single CPU in the HP the price difference would be even bigger.

Did you have a chance to ask your son if there are engineering reasons to buy an HP or Dell?

The only engineering (dis)advantages he could come up with are the non-standard dimensions of HP PSU's, the non-standard Dell connectors, the crippled BIOS of both and the mediocre attachment of the mobo's in the case and the inherent limitations these entail, plus the rigid disk bays.

Nobody asked you to buy your superserver components at a Beverly Hills boutique shop - so why would pitch the most expensive way to configure a Z820, against your DIY single socket build?  Harm, is that you?

The most expensive Z820 that I configured, but without a Tesla C2075 card came in over € 17 K. Seems you can't add a Tesla card to the Z820 with dual CPU's. The absolute bare Z820 with a slow single E5-2640 hexa core, 4 GB memory, ATI FirePro card, single 500 GB disk and no optical drives starts at € 3770. For that price I know I have a way better computer with far more capabilities.

That Beverly Hills boutique shop gives far more acceptable prices than either HP or Dell and they usually deliver within 24 hours.

If one needs product A that is sold by HP or Dell for € 250 and one can get the same (or better product) at the boutique for € 100, where do most people go? Seems pretty obvious to me... but hey, I'm Dutch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2012 Sep 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no alternative for the HP configuration that makes it somewhat similar to my build.

Right, and that makes it a justified comparison along with the fact that you don't find anything about the Z820 useful.  Buy a Škoda or put together a kit car - yet keep talking down a lighter, more nimble (yet more expensive) Lotus Elise just because you can't use it - despite that it will circle the track twice as fast.

Certainly, the guys at Dreamworks are just clueless for using HP. Will they ever see the light of the day?

(Gotta say, that's a strange approach for someone who maintains a supposedly unbiased benchmarking web site.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for people with deep wallets.

Simply not true.  You will find many an editing professional, including on this forum, where the choice of a Z-series system had to do with neither deep pockets or ill-considered recommendation.

A group of people tweaking the hell out of their DIY builds to get the highest PPBM score possible does not even begin to cover the market of pro level editing systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 15, 2012 Sep 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harm,

I agree with all of your statements. I have had many clients, who were the only graphics people in larger organizations. They were the "outcasts," as far as IT was concerned. They focused on the mass, and the poor users, who needed something different were always completely out of luck. That does help standardize what the IT department does, and makes the majority of their work more efficient, but at the expense of the one (or few) person, who is doing graphics, or video work. I believe that each of your IT comments has been passed on to me, at one time, or another, and in one form, or another.

Well-stated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2012 Sep 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you remember me I'm the guy who was trying to come up with solutions regarding would PPCS4 run on W7 64bit and would PP CS6 run. I discovered this not crazy about W7 64 bit. My CS4 would only run a second of video. Before video was not a problem in 1920X1080, I went through every possible change I could make, no good would't run on computer. W7

So even though my system did'nt match requirments for CS 6 I installed anyway runs like a dream. With CS4 on my previous XP system I was not able to use multiple camera edit ran to slow to work. Using W7 64 CS6 working in muliple camera no problem.

With what I use it for no problem this way

Have a good day

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2012 Sep 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about CS6, but the CS5 Master Collection I have included PPro CS4... so Adobe certainly seems to think it will work with Win7 64bit

If you have problems, and since you have Win7 64bit Pro, you could download the Windows virtual XP compatibility addon

This is only ONE example of using Virtual XP http://forums.adobe.com/thread/702693

-And a Tutorial http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/using-windows-7s-xp-mode-step-by-step/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2012 Sep 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I would like to know exactly which laptop that you're currently using, and what exactly the specs (processor (CPU), RAM, hard drive(s), GPU or integrated graphics) are. After all, if you are running 32-bit Windows because your laptop is simply too old to run 64-bit programs properly (or if the components fall short of Adobe's minimum requirements, such as too little RAM or a CPU that simply cannot run most currently available programs properly), it's definitely time for a new laptop.

Remember, the reason why CS5 and higher is 64-bit only is partly due to its tremendous requirements as far as the amount of RAM is concerned. In fact, CS6 really needs 16GB of RAM - far more RAM than any 32-bit version of Windows can address (remember, the most amount of RAM that 32-bit Windows can address is 3.99GB total minus the 700MB or so that is reserved for hardware interrupt caching) - just to perform acceptably, especially on weaker-performance laptops. And Adobe's official minimum is still 2GB although that amount barely runs Premiere Pro CS6 at all, and you would not have been able to do much if anything at all in that program.

And had I given advice about a low-end laptop back then, I would not have picked a model with 32-bit Windows Vista or Windows 7 at all due to their extremely small amount of headroom between Microsoft's minimum RAM requirements (IIRC, Windows 7 requires a minimum of 1GB of RAM just to even run at all - and yet it cannot utilize 4GB of RAM) and the maximum amount of total RAM that it can address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently do not have a laptop of any kind. I have 2 desktops, one 12-year-old one I use for the internet and a few other things. The other desktop machine is my gamming machine that I use mainly for video games. I have premiere on that machine because my internet one can't run it (Too slow, and 32-bit). I want a laptop for basically everything, internet, music, DVDs, premiere, iTunes, some small gaming, etc. I'll be going into collage in a few years, and am probably going to need one. I don't care if it is a little slow with Premiere, all I care is that it will run, and work properly. It's obviously going to run slower than my one machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link that John T. posted (Reply # 6) will offer two possibilities:

ADK (they design computers to run Adobe programs, plus some others) and Sager (they design extreme gaming laptops, but those can be easily adapted to run PrPro, and most other Adobe programs).

I currently have an older Sager, but will be going with an ADK to replace it.

While those are not the ONLY suppliers, their machines are stout, and extremely powerful. I have had zero issues with the Sager Customer Support, and two of the main folk from ADK, Eric & Scott, post here and in the Hardware Forum constantly. They too offer great Customer Support.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your assistance, but I do not have $1,500 I can spend on a laptop. Plus, There is a computer place down the street from my house, and they build computers and laptops, at a discounted price. And yes, I trust them. If anything I would get my laptop from that place. I understand your recomendation, but I do not entirly trust websites with big purchases like this.

Thank you all for helping me, I know where I will get my laptop from, if I get the money for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the local shop works with custom laptops, and understand Video editing, then staying local will be a benefit.

Good luck, and I think that John T. also linked to some useful material, on what is required to edit Video with PrPro on a laptop. Take a look at that, and do not hesitate to give the shop a copy.

If they have any questions, the Hardware Forum would be a great place to ask those: http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/hardware_forum?view=discussions

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want a laptop for basically everything, internet, music, DVDs, premiere, iTunes, some small gaming, etc.

Bad idea.  Again, best practice is to use your edit rig only for editing, with a second machine for anything else you want to do.  Quite often a lot of other programs will interfere with your editing software - codec packs, video games, office suites, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been fortunate with having other programs on my laptop, which does see quite a bit of video and image editing. I have Office, plus full e-mail, including MailWasher. Now, no CODEC packs, and no games (other than the stuff that installs with Windows), so it is otherwise fairly clean. I also do NOT do much multi-tasking, when editing video, other than maybe having PS, En, AI and AE open, as they are needed.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use my computer for 2 things at once, let a lone video editing AND doing something on top of that.

THank you all for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just make sure you get a laptop that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements that ADOBE specifies (like two disk drives) and if you want any real editing capability as it should have an nVidia CUDA GPU plus as much memory as you can afford

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never use my computer for 2 things at once

That's not the issue.  Most modern computers are more than capable of doing several things at once.

The issue is with INSTALLING unnecessary software on an edit rig.  You take your chances that something in that 'unnecessary' program will screw up your edit system.  So the safe bet is to simply not do that.  Use one machine dedicated to editing, and nothing else, and a second machine for everything else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand your point. I'll consider it when buying my laptop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2012 Sep 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer has Win7 64bit Pro -and- CS5 Master Collection -and- MS Office 2007 Pro -and- a couple dozen or so "small" utility programs (Imgburn, FTP, etc)

I use one computer for everything... no room, or $$, or a 2nd computer... I also have never installed any codecs that did not come with CS5

The only game I have installed is pokerstars.com to try and learn Texas Hold'Em (monthly splurge is a small $$ poker tournament at a local card room... and I play online once in awhile to try and get better)

I edit ONLY video from my Canon vixia and wife's Flip, and when editing I do nothing else... and I have had ZERO problems

While it would be nice to have a dedicated (and faster) video editing computer, not everyone has the space or money to do that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines