Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wireless Mouse Problems

Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Last month I built myself a computer based on the ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard

This month I built one for my wife with the same motherboard... i9 for me i7 for her

Both of us immediately noticed problems with our wireless mice... she has a Logitech trackball, I have tried two keyboard mouse combinations... one Logitech and one Microsoft

All 3 wireless mice are VERY jerky... which I first thought was due to the new computers being so much faster than our old computers, that I tried to fix the problem by lowering our cursor speed from 10 down to 4 which helped "some" but did not fix the problem

I had an old wired mouse in my spare parts box so I took the battery out of my wireless mouse and pluged the wired mouse into a USB port... problem solved

I Googled and found ZERO hits for "ASUS Prime Z490-P wireless mouse problem" so this is a real oddity... but at least my mouse is working now that I've removed the wireless mouse and went back to an old USB wired mouse

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried updating the mouse drivers?

Is the wired mouse the old ball type or is it optical?

Also, check for interference from other wireless devices.

Try a different USB port if the receiver is USB.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going all the way back to my first Windows computer in 2002 I have never had to install anything extra to use any mouse

Correction... 1st editing computer was 2002, Windows 3 computer a bit later

Her Logitech trackball worked perfectly with Win10 and Intel BOXDH77KC LGA 1155 motherboard

Same trackball and Win10 (cloned drive to write to new M.2) does NOT work well on ASUS-Prime-Z490-P motherboard

My Logitech 'regular' mouse worked perfectly with Win10 and Asus Sabertooth X79 MB motherboard

Same Logitech and Win10 (cloned drive to write to new M.2) does NOT work well on ASUS-Prime-Z490-P motherboard

Brand new Microsoft wireless keyboard+mouse has same problem of erratic mouse on my computer

All 4 mice (3 wireless and 1 wired) are optical... wireless=erratic wired=work correctly

My Microsoft wireless keyboard works correctly... just not the mouse

The common element is the ASUS-Prime-Z490-P motherboard

I have contacted ASUS and so far have only received a generic reply... I'll post back here if they have a fix

(I checked their update page, and they do have a beta BIOS update that is specific to a different issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been communicating with ASUS support, with the below steps the most recent

My problem was fixed by taking the battery out of the wireless mouse and using a wired USB mouse

As I told ASUS, I find it ODD that my wife's previous Intel motherboard and my previous Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard both worked 'out of the box' with a wireless mouse

I also said I am concerned about one thing he wrote... if you know that your bios needs to be changed to work with a wireless mouse, why do you not make that change at the factory?

Please troubleshoot as follows:
Plug device into another USB port.
Remove from USB hub and plug it directly to the USB port
install driver for the USB device.
1. If still persist, go to next step
Go to Search -> Device Manager
1. Go to Device or USB device
2. Right click on the device and uninstall
1. Check the box next to delete the driver software for the device
2. click ok and restart
Update drivers and chipset -
1. Install latest Intel chipset from motherboard website
2. Install latest AMD chipset from motherboard website
Update BIOS
Enable xHCI/eHCI for legacy keyboard/mouse/device - go to BIOS -> Advanced -> USB Configuration -> xHCI/eHCI Handoff -> Enable - Save (F10) and restart
[NOTE I asked why this change is not set at the factory to make a wireless mouse work properly]
Check USB device functionality on another system/computer/motherboard
1. Unplug a USB device and test it on another system/computer/motherboard to know if the issue occurs on another system or not
1. If there is no issue on another system, motherboard's own USB port is not working properly
2. If there is a issue, please contact USB device manufacturer for troubleshoot
If it still not work, please
1. Uninstall USB Host Controller and reboot to install it again
Perform system restore
Check if there is ECN - engineer change on this model .If so, please issue ECN

[I think this means to check for a BIOS update... which I did, and there is none]
If all steps and USB port not work. RMA the motherboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wife looked and decided that this German one most closely matched her Logitech wireless trackball

https://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIMICE-517-Wired-Ergonomic-Trackball/dp/B07CPW9GZC/

It comes with a 6 foot cord, which is "just" enough go from her keyboard tray out a hole in the back of her desk and then up and to the side where her tower computer sits

Problem of erratic movement is solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines