Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

X99-E WS (multi GPU + TBoltExII Card) issues

Contributor ,
Apr 17, 2015 Apr 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning,>

So recently I purchased a ton of gear to get into the x99/DDR4 platform.  I have 3 GPUs from my previous build but cannot get 2 of them to work if the TBolt Card is installed.  >

The LCD on the board says 95 then restarts over and over ..never going past 95.  Asus Tech support says that means there are not enough lanes to support my needs.  I am using an i7-5960x CPU.  I have 64 GB G.Skill ram.  >

My previous build (Z9PE-D8 WS board) ran all 3 GPUs just fine.>

The GPU's I have are the quadro 4000 + quadro K2000 + tesla C2075.  >

Any thoughts as to what I can do to get this to work?  I am on Bios version 1003.  I would hate to have gone this far to be limited due to the TBoltEx card eating up tons of lanes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the share and sorry for this late response.  For some reason I am not getting notifications from Adobe about new messages.

Good luck with the build!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Irenabys‌ I'd like to know how you got your Hackintosh working seeing as your machine is pretty similar to mine... was it hard?

I have given up with the stupid Thunderbolt card and is now out of my machine and sitting in a box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t give up on the thunderbolt - get it running in windows first. Follow the other posters advice. Use 1 GPU to start with and see the details in the link I posted. Let me know if you need my bios settings however its all about getting the motherboard to locate the card.

I have a very stable hackintosh on the ASUS Deluxe as described. I’ve had it running days at a time with multiple instances of parallels vms inside it even. I’m running OSX Yosemite and followed to the letter the instructions at http://www.rampagedev.com I have had no success upgrading to El Capitan from my copy or a clean install but am pretty content: Thunderbolt, apple bluetooth mouse and (version 1) blue tooth trackpad all work (incidentally the blue tooth drivers allow the mac mouse to work on windows 10 which is great too).

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2016 Jan 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am planning to allocate funds for a x99 system myself, mine is going to be only with 1 gpu at this stage, mainly for Adobe Premier / After Effects, with some Cinema 4d work if I can.

I am considering Asus motherboards because of Thunderbolt, what do you guys recommend at this stage? also for the GPU I realize A lot of people going for 980ti, but also there is this PNY Quadro m4000 card that some folks suggested for my budget, I am wondering if I will have any issues with a TB card?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an X99-E WS board with a pair of Titan-X's and still can't get my EXII Card to function in Windows 10:

- in Slot 2 with single Titan in Slot 3

- BIOS Recognizes the card.  Everything is set to what rsukhram and ecbowen showed.

- The MB header and Display Port cables are both connected.

- Tried 8.1 and W10 Thunderbolt Drivers

- Tried installing card before and after fresh Driver installs

- Tried installing fresh Chipset Drivers

After installing and running the Thunderbolt Software Package I tried connecting various different devices but none of them show in the Device Manager.  My BMD Ultrastudio DOES however power up when you connect the TB cable, so I know the card is providing power.

Thanks for any advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will be trying ASRock mobo extreme now to test their Thunderbolt Adapter instead of Asus...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

note that for me I had to install drivers from my CineRaid manufacturer's website for the device to work properly.  not sure if the same will make a difference for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 06, 2016 May 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really? for the ASRock mobo you had to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm strugglng getting this to work too...

I ve tried pulling out the TB card from the slot and leaving the cable plug in the mobo and the card but still can get the intel thunderbolt option in the bios to show up.

Any ideas ?

My rig is Asusx99 ws bios 2006

64 gb ram

5960x

dual titan x

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't get the Thunderbolt settings to show under advanced in the bios?

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi !

Yep... i leave the cable plug in at both end, but pulled out the card, it doesn't show up in advanced.

Obviously when i boot with only one GPU, and the card in the slot i ve got the option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try just running the TB2 card in the slot 2 with 1 video card in slot 3. Then go into the bios and hit F7 for advanced mode. Go to the Boot tab and disable fast boot. Then change INT 19 trap response to postponed and enable Above 4G decoding. Then go to the advanced tab and then intel Thunderbolt configuration. Make sure you have TBT reserved I/O support enabled and the Reserved I/O per slot change from 4 to 8. Then save and exit from the bios and let it boot to Windows. Shut it down and then put the 2nd video card into slot 5. See if that works.

Eric

ADK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys. I have tried all methods listed here and can't get 2x 980's and a Thunderbolt card to work with the x99-E WS. The new BIOS  (3201) actually causes the ThunderboltEX II to stop working completely, so I had to revert back to 3101.

Some other things to note:

In all the "3" versions of the BIOS, delayed INT19 response option is gone completely.

"Above 4g Decoding" will cause OSX to not boot if you're using Hackintosh with this board, so enabling it isn't really an option. However, I did try doing this and booting into windows, and the card STILL doesn't work.

Card works perfectly fine with 1 GPU.

After rebuilding the resource charts as instructed, the machine will boot, but the card does not function.

Anyone have any idea on an update to this issue? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, gsalucci​ we were running an identical 980 setup over on our end... never made the jump to 3101, still on 1302 (I believe, if I'm not mistaken).  However, we ran into an incredible amount of issues with the dual 980 setup after premiere updated to 2015.3 and 2015.3 (10.4).  Everything was great until that software bump, but ever since we've actually had to sell off our 980s and adopt a single Titan X (2015, not Pascal, pascal has many issues with Premiere 2015.3 10.4 and 2015.3.  We're running both separately in different suites to test them, and last years titan is thus far the most stable GPU we've tested with our configuration.  It's pricey, but it's worth it.

I realize you never mentioned premiere functionality with regard to the dual gpus, but I figured it might help to save you some time and headache.  Even if you manage to get the dual cards working, the latest premiere updates and nvidia drivers don't seem to be well matched at present. 

So long story short, I don't think you have to ditch the gtx 980s.  If you're willing (and this is even possible) I believe you can flash your bios back to 1302, which I believe is what we're running.  Instructions on how to do that should be online, but it sounds like you're comfortable with flashing the bios. 

If you can get it to 1302, and you run through the same procedures and tick the right settings in the bios from ECBowen (aware you've done this many times before, but this should work under this bios rev. as it has for us for over a year. 

From there, if you stick to Premiere Pro CC 2015.2 and manually install a legacy recommended certified (not beta) drivers from anytime before Mid-April, you should be right as rain, and not be out a single penny.  Also worth noting, if you are using an SLI bridge linking the two cards, ditch it for sure.  We experimented with that on our setup last year and it caused nothing but issues, all across the spectrum from program issues, to monitor glitches, to boot issues.  No performance boost for premiere, only managed to introduce glitches.  We weren't hopeful, merely curious and die-hard pc tweakers, but it wasn't worth the headache or the time to experiment with it. 

Hope this helps, and you get your system back online and operational soon! 

Let me know if you want me to expand on anything. 

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines