• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

best gaming laptop in budget on market right for video editing

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, I was wondering if anyone could recommed a good gaming laptop that would be suitable for editing in budget? Thank you in advance! 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"In budget" is relative. Could you provide a budget range, as well as what type of footage you will be editing?

HD requires far less processing power than 4K to edit.

Do you need a lot of internal storage or do you have a fast external drive? You don't want to be editing off of a USB 2 drive, so this would have an impact on what gets chosen.

Do you use a lot of effects that rely on the GPU, such as color grading?

There's a lot to consider here, but without any idea what your budget it, how you work, and how you want to grow with this machine, nobody will be able to give you good advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for getting back to me. i was hopig to get away with £800-900. I am a beginner wanting to get into editing, so i suppose this will serve as a learning phase but also able to do more series work eventually. I am aiming at editing 4k (but would like to use proxy workflow). Nope, I dont have external drive yet. I would need to use graphics/titles for sure, maybe a bit of colour grading yes.

I was looking at this laptop, can you please advice, would it be suitable:

HP Pavilion 15-cw1598sa 15.6” AMD Ryzen 7 Laptop - 512 GB SSD, Silver

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Pavilion-15-cw1598sa-Touchscreen-7-3700U/dp/B07SHJ7GRF

Thank you!

is there an issue with this, w

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not the most ideal machine for editing; it doesn't have the fastest processor and it only has an integrated GPU, which I do not recommend for editing and graphics, and certainly not for dealing with 4K material. You're going to want a dedicated graphics card if you can get it.

You're also paying for a touch screen here, so I would trade that for higher specs. 

Also, do not underestimate how much storage and processing power 4K requires. If you don't need to be working in 4K I don't reccomend that you do. It has 4x as many pixels as HD, not twice as many, and it requires significantly more processing power, especially if you're working with a highly compressed format. Proxies are great, but they take up storage, so 512 GB might not be enough storage for all of your files. You always have to consider your tradeoffs. Highly compressed formats take up much less space, but they require a lot more processing power to decode vs intermediate formats which are much easier to edit, but take up more storage.

Something else to consider is that Intel has a technology in its processors called Quick Sync which makes encoding and decoding H.264 significantly faster when the new "Hardware Encoding" feature is enabled in Premiere or AME: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/gpu-acceleration-and-hardware-encoding.html#Hardwareaccele...

This feature is only supported by Intel processors with QuickSync, not AMD ones.

So that, coupled with the strong recommendation for a dedicated GPU, and the question of whether you really "need" 4K means you might have to make some tradeoffs in your expectations, whether those are regarding price or performance, 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

What do you think of these below?:

HP ZBook 15V G5 Core i7-8750H 16GB 256GB SSD + 16GB Optane 15.6 Inch Quadro P600 Windows 10 Pro Mobi

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-zbook-15v-g5-core-i7-8750h-16gb-256gb-ssd-16gb-optane-15.6-inch-q...

Lenovo Thinkpad E590 15.6" Business Laptop Intel Core i7-8565U, 16GB, 512GB SSD

DELL Inspiron 15 5590 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, 512 GB SSD

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5590-15-6-laptop-intel-core...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Neither. Both the P600 and the MX250 are extreme weaklings by today's gaming and GPGPU processing standards. You see, the P600 is actually a significantly cut-down version of the GTX 1050 Ti, with half of its shader processing units disabled. And the MX250 is a slightly higher-clocked version of the GT 1030, with absolutely no hardware H.264 or HEVC encoder at all.

In fact, both of those GPUs are barely suitable for even 1080p, let alone 4k, video processing.

And as Peru Bob stated, the Inspiron has far too little included RAM to be of much good for any kind of video editing whatsoever. Worse, the Inspiron 5590 has only a low-power (and thus low-performance) 4-core/8-thread CPU. Put those two together with the weakling GPU, and that laptop will choke in such a pressure situation. Intel's U-series i7 CPUs did not get updated to a 6-core/12-thread configuration until the current 10th-Generation Comet Lake mobile line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Video Hardware forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DELL Inspiron 15 5590 15.6" Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, 512 GB SSD

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/dell-inspiron-15-5590-15-6-laptop-intel-core...

There is not enough RAM to run well even on the most simple projects and media and the graphics is not powerful enough for 4K, among other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP ZBook 15V G5 Core i7-8750H 16GB 256GB SSD + 16GB Optane 15.6 Inch Quadro P600 Windows 10 Pro Mobi

https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hp-zbook-15v-g5-core-i7-8750h-16gb-256gb-ssd-16gb-optane-15.6-inch-q...

The graphics is not powerful enough for 4K, among other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines