Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Intel or AMD?

Explorer ,
Aug 03, 2017 Aug 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts on how Adobe Premiere Pro and After Affects perform with recent AMD processors compared to Intel processors. It was my understanding that in the past, Intel was the way to go -- AMD processors apparently lacked certain instruction sets that were useful in Premiere and After Affects?

However, in reading some recent threads on this hardware forum, I've gotten the impression that the AMD Ryzen processors -- while perhaps not quite as good as the best Intel processors -- are significantly better than previous generation AMD processors. Generally speaking, can the most recent AMD processors now be used with solid results in Premiere and After Affects? Or is Intel still the way to go?

If you have any general guidelines (or thoughts about the latest round of AMD and Intel processors that are in the process of being announced), I would appreciate it! Thanks!

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is your media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what you mean.  It is not set up yet and it is a new build.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you going use to store your media files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 08, 2017 Aug 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got it all figured out I think. 

I will be using an M.2 NVMe MyDigitalssd 240GB for my OS.  I will be using a 480GB M.2 NVMe MyDigitalssd attached to a PCIe adapter for my scratch disk/media cache.  I will be using a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo for my Project & Source media.  I will also have a WD Gold internal 2TB HDD for extra storage or backup.  I also have a 20TB NAS for backup and a 2TB eSata, USB 3 or firewire external storage for backup.  I think I have enough backup sites and extra storage for my large files that I will have. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KeelerJ  wrote

Thanks, Bill! So I would want at least 20 lanes if not more. I've read that the quality of motherboard sound has risen in recent years, so perhaps sound cards aren't really necessary now. However, I did install a modest sound card in a video editing computer several years ago (the motherboard was circa 2008), and the improvement in sound quality was impressive.

There are other options like USB D to A Converters.  I used an Aune X1 MK2 with a USB connection back when I was using Windows 7.  It drove a pair of Tasco five inch monitors, and the sound quality was all you could ask for.  Unfortunately, while I still use the same DAC, it seems that no one can make that particular one work with Windows 10.   I used S/PDIF for a year or two before I broke the socket, and Windows 10 was forever getting its knickers in a twist about what sound device to use, so I now drive it via the motherboard headphone jack.  It still sounds OK to me, but I am a retired engineer, and I don't hear anything above 8kHz with online test sites like this.

Hearing Test - Can You Hear This?

USB DACs are a viable alternative to a PCIe sound card, so long as you only want audio out, and you can get them for similar cost.

Top 5 Best USB DACs Under $200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IF CPU == intel THEN GoFast();

ELSE Lack();

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2018 Jun 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: June 2018. as a current video producer that uses AMD, my advise is -stay away from AMD FX and AMD APU from 2016 and earlier because they are poorly optimized for content creation. Yes, you could get by if you are using A10+ or FX 8530+ with premiere CC 2014 or earlier, but if you want the latest CC, there are still utilization issues with the 1st edition Ryzen. my recommendation is to aim for a Ryzen 2,000 series CPU or APU 5 - 7 or the latest Thread ripper 1.5 edition. Or you could wait another year when they finalize Ryzen because by then AMD could surpass Intel. I currently use AMD A8 9600 (2016 APU) and it's terrible to work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding HDD setup, I believe this is what you should aim for withing your budget:

OS and applications: M.2 ssd

cache: 2 or 3 regular ssd in raid 0.

media: 4 to 8 hdds in raid 0.

I’m using 8x3TB barracuda drives because thy are fast, but may be that todays 8TB are faster? Respons time is key here, not top speed.

* you will need backup: either double up number of drives and go with a redundancy raid setup, or keep all media on an extra set of extetnal hdds (what I do)

export hdd: yes, send your exports to another disc. any 130mb/s or more hdd will do. This isn’t necessary but it does give a very slight improvement in export speeds.

now this was a amd/intel thread and I’m still looking for an answer..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the system requirements for the October 2018 release, only Intel chips are supported?  No more AMD?

"Intel® Intel 6thGen or newer CPU"

Full list of system requirements...

Adobe Premiere Pro CC System Requirements

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, or an AMD Ryzen equivalent. Earlier AMD CPUs such as the FX series may not run Premiere Pro CC 2019 properly or at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got an AMD Ryzen 1700x and I've had nothing but problems with Premiere and After Effects. Everything works fine on my machine EXCEPT those programs. When editing on two monitors, the display monitor just displays a white screen with no video playback. For the moment, I'm back to one monitor. An adobe engineer spent 2 hours remoting into the pc and could not figure out why. The workaround he discovered was to login to the system with the administrator user and not my user profile. That has since stopped working. Get intel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It happens on Intel too, the two monitor setup is complicated, i had the problem of having to show the desktop ( click in bottom right corner button ) then display premiere so i could use the program.

Now i don't have this problem but i didn't changed Premiere, just drivers.

The rule with this editing software is if it works, don't change it, i'll stick with 2018 premiere until i finish everything, then i'll try new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines