• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Running Windows XP, want to upgrade, Will my software work on later windows. Original Illustrator is Version 7 with upgrades to CS5

New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My old computer is dying. I need to upgrade to Windows 7 or newer. My original Illustrator software is version 7 for PC. I have hard copy upgrades to CS5. No cloud versions. Will these versions load to windows 7 and then upgrade to 10. OR load to 10? Also have Photoshop CS5 and InDesign. All noncloud versions. Any recommendations on new computer that will run the old versions of these programs. Looking at a Dell.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck finding a new computer with Win7... I read an article a few months ago that Microsoft is no longer selling Win7 to builders, so you MAY be able to get a computer with Win8, but the big companies are (I think) only Win10

If you build your own, you MAY be able to find an old builder copy of Win7 or Win8 to buy and install yourself

Win10 causes problems for old programs

An idea that MAY work to install and/or run old programs in Windows 10... works for some, not for others

-RIGHT click the program icon or EXE and select a compatibility mode in the pop up option window

-or Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395 to assign FULL Windows permissions may help... says Encore, but sometimes required for ALL Adobe programs (this is NOT the same as using an Administrator account)

NOTE - Win10 anniversary update version 1607 has caused MAJOR problems with old programs, so the above may not work

-Notice http://www.computerworld.com/article/3157369/windows-pcs/new-windows-10-build-is-a-monster-update.ht...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I did find a Del that comes with Windows 7. I have no other choices at this point. I don't want the cloud versions as it is a waste of money for small graphic designers. I may not use my programs for a month or so then have work for a few months. I may not have the work to support the expense. It really is a shame Adobe has done this. I understand the reasoning behind it but it should be an option. Thanks agian for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, you will have to concede total defeat. Seriously.

This is because Microsoft will now support only Windows 10 on the newest systems running the newest Intel or AMD CPUs. And Adobe has completely EOSL'd all of its Adobe Creative Suite programs that have not been updated to the Creative Cloud versions, including the last perpetually-licensed versions of all of those programs. Thus, your old programs are not guaranteed to work on any of the currently available PCs (this means that they may not run properly or even work at all) because they will not receive any further updates or even bug fixes from this point on.

As a result, you will have to look for other companies' programs (which may or may not have an equivalent to the Adobe programs that you're currently using) if you don't want to keep paying Adobe every month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Premiere, Audition, Encore, Photoshop and After Effescts CS6 all working quite happily on a fresh install of windows 10.  They all worked on Windows 7 before that, and on a W7 intall upgraded to windows 10.

I also have Photoshop CS5 working on another Windows7 upgraded to W10 system.

i have also had After Effects CS2 working on Windows 10.

I would suggest that despite what Adobe people say - they have subscriptions to sell, after all - you have every chance of success with W7, and most likely W10.  If possible, I would install on W7  and then upgrade to W10.  I have had other software which worked on the upgrade to 10, but would not work on a fresh windows 10 install

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would post on the Illustrator forum to see if any one has your version running under window 8 or 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines