• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Spec workstation for CS 6 video editing

May 25, 2012 May 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Adobe forum!

I'm switching from Mac to PC and need help picking out my workstation. I plan on doing heavy editing on Premiere Pro (6) as well as a healthy amount of work in After effects (6), and my budget hovers around $3000. I will not be doing any assembling myself (gotta go with a turnkey/custom company).

Overall, are these general specs good enough for my needs? Is there anything I need to upgrade? What am I missing?

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz

Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan

Motherboard: (SLI/CrossFireX) ASUS P9X79 Intel X79 Chipset

Memory: 32GB (4GBx8) DDR3/1333MHz Quad Channel Memory

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB

Power Supply: 1,000 Watts

OS/Boot Hard Drive: 120GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III 6.0 Gb/s SSD

Other Hard Drives: 4x 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Raid 01)

Optical Drive: Blu-Ray Rewriter

LCD Monitor: 2x 24" Widescreen 1920x1080 ASUS VS247H-P LCD

Thanks so much for your help!

-J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been a couple users reporting that the 680 works just fine with the hack.

The 690 might be overkill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 26, 2012 May 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim, the 690 is a dual GPU card and you could run into problems.  No dual GPU cards have ever been certified by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

clearance15perc wrote:

So theoretically, would the GTX 670 and/or 690 work with this trick/hack?

I'm working with entirely DSLRs, nothing 4k. 

I'm running a GTX680 using the hack and so far it seems to run great. I was playing with some DSLR footage, looping it on the timeline as I added and tweaked multiple effects in full resolution, without any hiccups. There are a few issues with the card that are likely driver related which is to be expected from a brand new card (running brand new software), but overall it seems to be handling Mercury Playback swimmingly.  As an added bonus, the 680 was just cleared to work with After Effects and I can attest that it handles the new ray-tracing engine with ease.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the 680 was just cleared to work with After Effects.."

Where can this information be confirmed?  Does it work with ray tracing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can confirm it from personal use.  Definitely works with ray tracing.  As far as official confirmation, I think it was the last update where they introduced it.  It was in the notes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 27, 2012 May 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and one other thing about the 680 vs 570 is that it can also run a triple monitor setup wheras the 500 series cards are limited to two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines