• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will a graphics card upgrade help my stuttering timeline playback?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2018 Mar 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My current PC has an i7-4790 CPU and 32gb RAM. The graphics card is a 2Gb GeForce GT730. It does ok with HD footage but I am working on a 4k UHD project and even with proxies at times the playback stutters.

The Bottlenecker website identified that my GPU is very underpowered for my CPU and causing a 100% bottleneck! Would upgrading the GPU assist with timeline playback? I have read that Premiere Pro mainly used the GPU acceleration for rendering so I am unsure whether it would affect timeline playback.

The Bottlenecker suggested a GeForce GTX 780 Ti as best suited for my configuration but that appears to be an older card and not available new. It is also only available with 3Gb and if I was replacing my GPU I want at least 4Gb for use with Davinci Resolve for colour grading.

Would a GTX 1050Ti help my system?

Also I am still currently running Windows 7 - would an upgrade to Windows 10 make any difference?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The biggest factors in playback will be the hard drive speed where the media is located, and the actual codes used.  If you have 4k h.264 media on a 5400rpm drive, that will cause major issues in playback because the compression is very high - the system already needs a great deal of power just the read it, then its sending that through a slow pipeline because of the hard drive.  After that is considered then you would look at the graphics card to help speed up rendering previews of your sequences.  Any red bar over clips in your timeline will require rendering first to see it at full speed.  Your CPU may have issues with 4k due to the cores/clock/cache combo, but you can help it along with having your media on a SSD or raid configured HDD.  That will help the pipeline flow faster.  Also consider transcoding any highly compressed 4k footage, (h.264, mp4) into an intermediate file format like ProRes, Cineform or DNxHD before hand.  This will put less strain on the processor and can help playback and rendering.  Just keep in mind the it will require more storage space. 

It would be a good idea to upgrade the GPU when you can, but that is more or accelerated effects, and increased render/export speeds or then straight playback.

Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, yes, that underpowered GPU can - and does - slow down CPU-only performance significantly, even in apps that make no use of the GPU whatsoever. And although there are some 2GB GT 730s that use a newer GPU with 384 CUDA cores, most 2GB GT 730s are actually a rebrand of the GT 430 from 2010, with only 96 CUDA cores. And the GT 430 itself was a lousy GPU even back then, and is a complete joke today.

And I did test my main PC, with an i7-4790K CPU and various cards (the cheapest card I had was a GT 730 with 384 CUDA cores and 1GB of GDDR5 SGRAM) - and the lower-end card proved not only itself sluggish, but also severely hurt the system's CPU-only, non-GPU-accelerated performance. In fact, its CPU-only score with the GT 730 was almost as slow as a same-generation dual-core i3 CPU with a GTX 750 Ti. This is because the low-end GPUs actually misuse the hardware CPU resources (addresses) that higher-end GPUs hardly touch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By the way, I looked at that Bottlenecker site. Even the GTX 1050 Ti still caused a 22% bottleneck (The Bottlenecker considers anything 10% or more to be "significantly bottlenecked"). A GTX 1060 - either the 3GB version or the 6GB version - would have been a nice match for that i7-4790 CPU; however, the GTX 1060s cost way more than they should because of the cryptocurrency mining craze.

And when that "bottleneck" rating approaches 100%, that is when the CPU-only performance starts becoming significantly or even severely degraded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines