Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Apple gives notice legacy Final Cut Studio apps dead in OS High Sierra

LEGEND ,
Aug 24, 2017 Aug 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heads up:

Apple is distributing letters to owner of Final Cut Studio that those apps will not run in High Sierra, which is to be released this fall -

Screen Shot 2017-08-24 at 8.30.49 AM.png

More info here: About Apple Pro Apps and macOS High Sierra - Apple Support

While Final Cut Studio apps (FCP-7, Color, etc.) have been officially not supported since the introduction of FCP-X, most FCS apps (with the exception of Compressor 3.x and below) ran in some form right up to OS Sierra.

This means, if you choose to upgrade your OS to High Sierra you will either need to:

1) Give up functionality of all FCS apps

or

2) Create a dual boot computer so you can boot to an older OS to run the legacy FCS apps. This may not be viable if you upgrade hardware, as older OS's may not support any new hardware that Apple introduces, so you may not be able to dual boot to an older OS on a new machine.

or

3) Bunker a workstation with an older OS and move on to new hardware to run OS High Sierra

MtD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People with old Adobe programs (CS6 and earlier) already have problems with the current iteration of Sierra... so I wonder if this means that old Adobe programs will simply stop working at all with High Sierra?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2017 Aug 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a technical person myself, but someone told me that High Sierra will not support 32 bit apps. Don't know it that applies to early versions of CS.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2017 Sep 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you were given good information, that means that 32bit Premiere Pro CS4 and earlier will not run at all... I guess we'll find out later if 64bit PPro CS5/CS6 will also not run

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2018 Feb 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Adobe and Apple working with each other as a silent Monopoly rather than working for their "Consumers"? People like me, "independents", can't always afford to UPGRADE every time the AP or OS upgrades. Especially when we use these products as "hobbies", or for "fun" or  just for the "satisfaction" rather than a Full Time Profession. Both Companies are pushing the "little guy" out of existence! Shamefully Greedy!

The Apps need to work with the OS! Why do the "end users" have to suffer the Frustrations and the Costs? Hmmmm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2018 Feb 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to keep using old programs (CS6 and earlier) you need to keep using a matching old operating system

And FYI... Microsoft did the same thing, and all under their own control... The perfectly good MS Office 97 I owned stopped working (would not even install) when I moved from a WinXP computer to a Win7 computer... Microsoft had TOTAL control over their own products (unlike here, where Adobe has NO control over Apple's operating system) and I was forced to buy MS Office again to be able to use it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2018 Oct 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's ^^^ why some people call Microsoft The Evil Empire!

It would be nice if Apple could, um, "Think Different," when it comes to that kind of thing.

But I know that's a very naive thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some told me that high  Sierra was in an auto update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines