• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Audition CC is overpriced

Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After using Audition 6 for years, finally broke down and gave Audition CC a try.

It just isn't worth what Adobe is asking for it.

I won't try and debate you out of it.  Clearly your market research shows enough people are willing to pay it.  I mean, not only did I think it was overpriced before, but now you had the audacity (get it? "Audacity"?  The free sound editor) to actually raise the price even more.

Oh well. I have money burning in my pocket and am more than willing to pay a subscription for it.  I do with Microsoft Office, which seems to manage a year's worth of sub for $70, not the $239.88 you're asking.

But you're going to have do to a lot better than $19.99/month.  Especially considering that once I let the subscription lapse, I lose access to all my work structures.  (Movie Magix keeps the software running after the subscription lapses, you just don't get updates anymore.)

Clearly, some people feel that price is worth it.  I won't try to talk them out of it.

On the other hand, I want to subscribe.  It just isn't worth it.

Cheers to your market research.   But a pity that you priced so many people out.  Especially considering who you bought this software from (Cool Edit/Syntrillum) and their philosophy of good software at a good price.  You bought their software, but not their value system.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure who you are hoping to talk to but here we are just users like yourself on this Audition Users Forum. If you want to contact Adobe and their marketing department you will need to find an alternative method I'm afraid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 04, 2018 Aug 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighthope  wrote

Cheers to your market research.   But a pity that you priced so many people out.  Especially considering who you bought this software from (Cool Edit/Syntrillum) and their philosophy of good software at a good price.  You bought their software, but not their value system.

To be fair about this, you have also to take into consideration what gave rise to the whole 'subscription' model in the first place - and that was some legislation that was somewhat rushed into place without any due consideration of the consequences - the Sarbanes-Oxley act and its concept of 'compliance'. What this means for software is that if you ever declare it to be 'complete', as such, you have to pay out heaven knows what to meet the compliance costs of registering it as such. The reason that it was ill-conceived is that it took the bean counters all of five minutes to realise that they could avoid this situation completely by no software ever being declared 'complete'. So you have to keep updating it, rather than starting again. And everything else follows on from there...

Sarbanes–Oxley Act - Wikipedia

As far as Syntrillium was concerned - well life was simpler back then, and you could do pretty much what you liked from that POV. But don't go running away with the idea that their software was available at a good price, as it wasn't - it was too cheap. The reason that Syntrillium was open to a buy-out was very simple - Bill and David knew that there wasn't enough money available to develop the software any further, and that essentially limited its potential sales, hence income. Also it's very unfair to say that Adobe didn't buy the value system, because to a large extent they did - they not only bought the software, but most of the development team as well, along with the product evangelist. They didn't have to do that, but they did it anyway. Okay, it was, to an extent, win-win for Adobe - they had no audio expertise, and there it was, handed to them on a plate. And they have done seriously well out of the product evangelist!

Known to fans as "Adobe Jesus," technology evangelist Jason Levine takes software training to a high...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree that Adobe bought the value system.  I saw how fast things changed.  I was there too.    If they did buy the value system, they certainly abandoned it fast enough.  But I do remember the pricing issues the design team had with corporate.

In any event, I do know about the idea of not "finishing" the product.  Other companies are doing that.  Sound Forge also has a subscription model. I'm going to try them.  Their year price is cheaper than Adobe's.  We'll see how SF compares to Audition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lighthope  wrote

Sound Forge also has a subscription model. I'm going to try them.  Their year price is cheaper than Adobe's.  We'll see how SF compares to Audition.

Yeah, let us know how you get on with the SF Multitrack system...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved this discussion to the Lounge. It's not related to troubleshooting Audition. Thanks.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines