Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Buying a semi-professional - but not too expensive - camcorder

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there:

I'm looking for a semi-professional product for a reasonable price. Of the four options - sourced from Amazon - listed below, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the more expensive JVC. Intention is to shoot high-end quality interviews and footage without breaking my bank. Prices are Canadian... Any comments on the JVC from people familiar with the camera? Any other suggestions in that price range? Using Premiere Pro CS6. Any constructive feedback is much appreciated.

Sony PXW-X70 2399.95
https://www.amazon.ca/PXW-X70-Professional-Camcorder-Replacement-Microfiber/dp/B0176YCEZQ/ref=sr_1_2...

Sony HXRMC2500  1728.95

https://www.amazon.ca/HXRMC2500-HXR-MC2500-Shoulder-Camcorder-Accessories/dp/B00S6SMWKE/ref=pd_cp_42...

JVC GY-HM70U 1329.95
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06XXHSGY6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2L8PJ8A72NL45&psc=1

JVC GY-HM170 4KCAM 1829.95
https://www.amazon.ca/GY-HM170-Compact-Professional-Camcorder-Accessory/dp/B01MU2QI9G/ref=cm_cr_arp_...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 11, 2017 Jun 11, 2017

The top Sony model you've got listed has double the Mbps, 10-bit 4:2:2, and at B&H in USD is 2250 with a 4k-license so you can shoot 4k with it ... has more options for outs from SGI through HDMI. I'd take that over the JVC you mention without even thinking about it. And has a much larger sensor.

The bottom JVC model also has a vastly better Mbps, 4k, and other things than the one you are thinking about. Of them, I might go there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The top Sony model you've got listed has double the Mbps, 10-bit 4:2:2, and at B&H in USD is 2250 with a 4k-license so you can shoot 4k with it ... has more options for outs from SGI through HDMI. I'd take that over the JVC you mention without even thinking about it. And has a much larger sensor.

The bottom JVC model also has a vastly better Mbps, 4k, and other things than the one you are thinking about. Of them, I might go there.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. By bottom JVC I assume you mean JVC GY-HM170 4KCAM 1829.95 (1/2.33" CMOS Sensor; 4K Ultra HD 24/30p Recording at 150 Mbps)?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That one is the more expensive of the JVC models and shoots 4k. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that one. Having a larger sensor and 4k capability is something that you should go for even if you're not planning on delivering 4k right now. Also 10-bit and Mbps is important.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks again...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 03, 2017 Jul 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

The top Sony model you've got listed has double the Mbps, 10-bit 4:2:2, and at B&H in USD is 2250 with a 4k-license so you can shoot 4k with it ...

Neil

The camera has an optional upgrade. If you want 4K it cost about 500 dollars more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines