• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DVD and Blu-ray

Enthusiast ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is any one still creating DVD and Blu-ray discs or are you uploading videos to Vimeo, Facebook, Youtube, etc. or using file transfer software like We Transfer, Dropbox,etc?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still make Blu-rays, and upload to Youtube and use We Transfer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What program do you use to make Blu-ray discs?  I use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Encore, but most of the time i use TMPGenc Mastering Works 5 to generate the files via Frameserving from Premiere.

TMPGEnc Authoring Works 6 is a good choice: does not re-encode files from Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had always used Encore.  Unfortunatley, it is not available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, no longer available.
Did you change your forum name?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I make DVDs with DVD Architect Studio and also upload to Vimeo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did change my forum name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this question in the context of home video distribution for independent filmmakers where DVD-Video used to be dominant?

DVD-Video and Blu-Ray authoring and publishing still happens, but video-on-demand is now dominant.  While there are serveral routes for independent distribution, services like We Transfer and Dropbox are not really part of that.  Although, Dropbox Shop is in beta.

Or this question about file sharing during post production?  While We Transfer and Dropbox are options for sharing large video files, FrameIO (included with Creative Cloud) is a much better option provided that the plan level covers the amount of storage needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to burn up to 35 minutes on a DVD disc using the AVCHD format in Authoring Works 6.  The video quality played on a Blu-ray player appears to be almost identical to Blu-ray discs I have created.  There is room on the DVD disc to burn  even longer videos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2022 Nov 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The maximum capicity of data that can be burned to single layer blank DVD media is 4.7GB; however, it's a best practice to keep the total data burned to DVD to about 4.2GB.  Dual layer blank DVD media can be used, but does AVCHD allow for accounting for the layer break point like DVD-Video authoring does?  Whatever duration AVCHD that falls between 4.2GB and 4.7GB can be burned to DVD, but burning to dual layer DVD probably requeres buring two separate AVCHD clips

Be mindful that burning AVCHD data to blank DVD media may not play in most DVD-Video Players.  You want to be certain that the device being used for playback supports reading AVCHD data burned to DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-R DL, DVD_R DL, etc.

I highly recommend Jim Taylor's DVD Demystified for anyone working with DVD content creation.

If authoring to the DVD-Video specification, it's possible to encode 90 minutes to 150 minutes at "best quality" MPEG2 encoding settings; however, the more of your bit budget that goes to video, then the less that can go toward audio.  DVD-5 supports about 4.1GB (single layer) while DVD-9 supports about 8.2GB (dual layer).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines