Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

editing with music?

Engaged ,
Mar 08, 2022 Mar 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello this is a general question, not premiere related

I am fllowing a master for filmscoring, and they say that  to do music for film you need to sync to the film , or scene, bpm

So the theoty undelying is that edito always use a music to make theyr edit, even if they are not going to use music in that scene

I can immagine this for scene where music is supposed to be there, but is it really this the workflow for scenes/sequences when no music is supposed to be?so every cut is always at music time?

For me is not even that nice to have the music in sync with cuts all the time...

wait to know from who is well aknoledged on this

thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is no rule. Do your own style. Sometimes to make video more interesting for viewer, you can cut the scene of video based on music beat, but not at all.

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends upon the video.  Sometimes I cut at the beat, sometimes before or after the beat. Each method results in a different "feel".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello this is a general question, not premiere related

By @stefanocps

Moved to the Video Lounge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes and also, i think, there is not a rule that say that cut should be insomeway related to a regular time..isnt'it? i could cut freely where i like or need

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing is like painting.  You hold the brush.  Do what you find pleasing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, there are many answers of course.
Some even say to edit a scene for energy / rythym BEFORE adding music so the flow comes from the cutting and doesn't rely on the music.

As to cutting on every beat - here's an analogy for you: It's called

Five Words

“This sentence has five words. Here are five more words. Five-word sentences are fine. But several together become monotonous. Listen to what is happening. The writing is getting boring. The sound of it drones. It’s like a stuck record. The ear demands some variety. 

Now listen. I vary the sentence length, and I create music. Music. The writing sings. It has a pleasant rhythm, a lilt, a harmony. I use short sentences. And I use sentences of medium length. And sometimes, when I am certain the reader is rested, I will engage him with a sentence of considerable length, a sentence that burns with energy and builds with all the impetus of a crescendo, the roll of the drums, the crash of the cymbals–sounds that say listen to this, it is important.” 

So write  edit  with a combination of short, medium and long sentences clips.
Create a sound that pleases the readers ear. 
Don't just write words. Write music. 

― 

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i did not mean to cut at every beat, but in terms of music, lets take a four measure bar..cutting at time to me means cutting at any of the musical scansion of that bar at that bpm. So it could be at 1,2,3,4, it coul be 1,2;5 and 4..and so on..in music , at quarter time, at 1(, 1/16 and so on

Cuttig at time could mean any of these scansion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree.

Here's something I posted a while back about ryhthm in editing.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/faq-discussion-learning-to-edit-get-into-a-c...

Best regards, Euan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines