• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

for those of you that think davinci resolve is a fully functional replacement for Premiere

Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trying to export an xml file from premiere to import to resolve.  12 shots wouldn't connect.  guess why?  
seems like it can't import mp4 files from a lumix camera.  premiere has no issues with it.  tried to just import one of the files directly into resolve...  just imported the audio...  updating to the latest version of resolve 17 right now to see if that makes a difference...(it doesn't).  I can work around this problem by exporting just the files used in the sequence to a better format. 

Another shortcoming of resolve is that it can't export prores quicktimes (at least I don't think it can) which can have a big impact on cross platform projects...

Just saying that resolve doesn't measure up in many ways to Premiere.  I do much prefer resolves color correction interface and that's why I've gone down the rabbit hole today wasting a few hours so far figuring out what's going on.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always fun to watch the discussions of how we each react to these apps. It's so personal ... as I frequently end posts, everyone's mileage always varies.

I've seen so flipping many posts that say something "should have been fixed rather than add something else "that no one would EVER want!!!!!!!!!!".

When I know a number of people using that thing that no one would ever want daily, and grateful it's there.

I find the old color tools ... a UI mess. You have to drag/drop to every clip, not at all like the way the Lumetri panel auto-applies the effect to any clip.

As noted above, I find the color tools of Lumetri actually quite capable and fast especially if you have a control surface. PrPro's compatibility with control surfaces blows Resolve outta the water.

Now ... the tools of Lumetri are too limited in many ways. Again, no pivot points. You can't rearrange the order of the tabs of Lumetri. You can't add multiple instances of one tab. Nor can you copy/paste a tab to another Lumetri instance.

Yet with my surface, I can do a ton of things pretty blasted fast. And for further needs ... I've got the full RedGiant Universe including Colorista V. That also works as a panel, like Lumetri, so that when opened as a panel, as you go down the sequence, stop (highlighting the current clip automatically) ... and touch the Colorista panel controls ... the effect is auto-applied with no need to manually apply an effect to one or more clips.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 08, 2021 Sep 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slight detrail here:  Neil, I never got the Colorista IV Extension / panel to work correctly.  Usually, there was a half to full second of lag between when I changed a parameter and I saw the result.  That made it untenable for me.  Did you ever experience that?  And if so, is that fixed in V?

Thanks for that insight on Speedgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had a ton of variability in that interface. Some times fluid as all get out, other times choppy. I might need to save/close Pr, then relaunch to get good playback. Right now, it's fluid.

So ... I use the Colorista when I need the specific tools that it offers. Like that double Hue setup where you can both move the Hue points and also set both sat per hue and brightness per hue separately. Past that, I can do about everything else in Lumetri, which normally works much more fluidly.

But there are some other things between Looks and other parts of the RG Universe suite that I use at times.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, 

You stated you cannot rearange the order of tabs in the Lumetri Color Panel. That is the big down side for me as well. You stated Premiere Pro has better support for third party hardware than Resolve (any NLE as far as I can tell). I agree but what if Resolve implemented suppot for 3rd party hardware that was better than Premeire Pro? Would you still use Premiere Pro? I myself would need all that implemented into Resolve but most of all the GUI of Resolve needs to be ravamped. I use Premiere Pro now but that may change at some point tin time. In my opinion Premiere Pro, Resolve, Edius, Avid and FCPX will all work but the most important aspect of any NLE is the GUI. The number one reason I stick with Premiere is because the GUI is the most efficient for my needs but I agree Premeire Pro's support for 3rd party is awesome. Having said that is control surface support the number one reason why you stick with Premeire Pro? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The customizations we can do with the interface, and the use of the control systems, are both helping me stay primarily with PrPro

I really find Resolve's choices for how their UI is setup incredibly annoying. As noted, friend Joey D'Anna thinks it's wondrous. And not being able to customize Resolve is fine with him ... because the UI seems 'logical' enough he got used to it easily.

But my Tangent Elements panel is heavily throttled back in Resolve. Only half the controls are available at any one time ... at most. And the way you get to most of the things that Resolve allows it to do is through choosing an option which isn't listed as a 'menu' option, but when chosen, it changes the mapping visible to the panel at that moment.

You've got to learn all the steps to get from the tool you're using to the one you want next, none of which is shown in any menu or the little display panels on the Elements. Sheer total memory. And it's the only way to get that panel used much.

Plus ... that Elements panel, in Resolve, is completely limited to the color 'page'. You can't use it for any process on any other 'page'.

But in PrPro, I can map that panel's various knobs, dials, wheels, and buttons to everything from any editing step you can think of, to running the track mixer in audio, resizing/rotating/positioning graphics ... a veritable raft of things all over PrPro.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niel, 

I agree. The GUI and hardware support of Premiere Pro is better than Resolve at this point in time but that can change. On a side note. Premiere Pro's integration with Encore was way better than what the competition had to offer but that is not the case in 2021. What is the case in 2021 is that no more than 10 days go by in these forums without a Premiere Pro user wanting to burn a DVD or Blu-ray disc for a client. I like Premiere Pro but in time I think Resolve might surpase it up. If owning Premeire Pro was a one time fee of $300.00 with unlimted upgrades no one would be anxious for Resolve to catch up to Premeire Pro but that is not the case and probably will never be the case. I like Audition but Cakewalk Sonar is completly 100% free and has been since 2017.  The Adobe products are good but you cannot beat free software that works great. I can only hope at NAB 2022 Adobe will have a new pricing structure and some amazing announcements but who knows for sure? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding a tip or workaround:  You can rearrange the FX stack in Lumetri by just adding another instance of Lumetri and use the component you want, and choose your rendering order in the Effects Tab.  You can rename the Effects layer after the component you used if that will help you stay organized.  You probably already know that Pr renders Effects from top to bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taught that process for years, Jim.

One BIG FREAKING PROBLEM with it though ... when you work with a control surface, like my Elements panel, that always, only, and ever works the bottom/last instance of Lumetri on a track-stack. So once you've added a second instance, you can't use the surface on any prior instance.

Way slows me down.

At least they don't do any processing whatever of unused tools in Lumetri, so stacking three instances and using three tools will have exactly the same processing load as using the three tools in one instance.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I geus but it's not nearly as Shi#tty as premiere pro with 10 plus crashes a day on a fast pc. Mpeg importer error. Adobe is running low on system memory while at the meantime the system runs on 32gb ram 3200mhz DDR4. You guys need take this program and shuf it up your a#ss. Why do you think most of your users are switching over to DaVinci Resolve? Since 2018 crashes are happening more frequently. Since I started editing on resolve for my own projects I'm a happier person in general. Unfortunately I have to use this peace of crap for some freelance jobs for other production companies. I'll never pay a monthly fee for this shi#t ever again until it stops crashing. I HAD NO PROBLEM BUY RESOLVE. IT'S A MUCH MORE STABLE NLE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kedans360@gmail.com 

Hello kedans360:

A great thing about the Blackmagic Forum is that they require that you use your real name and enforce forum etiquette

If you are experiencing 10 crashes a day, that's a workstation configuration issue.  The Adobe Support Community is a great resource.  Civil discussion and courtesy go a long way.

- Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2022 May 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I know this is old, but this might help: the reason why you are only getting audio when you import in DaVinci Resolve is because to use some 10 Bits codecs you need the Studio version (295 Euros). The free version can not import 10 Bit files from, for example, the Panasonic GH5. I am a very experienced editing instructor. Started teaching Avid Media Composer, Premiere Pro, FCP in 2004. Now teaching also DaVinci Resolve. I assure you: the majority of frustrations when editors compare editing programs come from a lack of trainning. Love Avid, love Premiere, love DaVinci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines