• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to become a better cameraman?

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New guy here, glad to meet you all. I'm learning Premiere and After Effects and will be asking software-specific questions as they come up. But what I want to ask first is how to become a better amateur cameraman so I shoot my films the right way?

I think the editing software won't help if the movie had been shot incorrectly, like most people who have expensive camera, but their camera work is amateurish. They just pan around like my amateur dad when he got his first VHS camera 30 years ago.

I took a film class almost 20 years ago, don't remember much except that you are not supposed to pan!

Help me find some resources I could study!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to the Video Lounge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't know you have a video lounge. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing wrong with panning angles in my opinion, of course, it depends if the shot warrants it or not but I wouldn’t outright refuse to pan.

It’s mainly based on your equipment, it’s all well and good having a $5000 camera but it’s still going to poor if for example you don’t have a gimble stabilizer and the shot is moving with the subject.

The best way to learn is watching videos and if I like a shot I will watch it back and try to mimic the camera persons work, what could they have used for this shot, why did I like it.

1 last bit of basic advice is understanding the rule of thirds

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2017 Nov 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you can make the action fit your frame, with or without panning, that is good. Zooming is regarded as a no no. To change the size of shot during action most camera operators would track instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines