• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Legacy Title: Why are you still using it?

Adobe Employee ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello fellow editors. I know that a lot of us are still using the Legacy Titler for our titling duties in Premiere Pro.

While "change" is never fun, my impression is that some people just have not taken the time to learn or become fluid or fluent with the tools, and that's understandable.

I've found the new title tools pretty compelling. I've swtiched to them. I found that some people are not even aware of the tools or how they function. Surprisingly, making a simple .mogrt is something many have not even tried. Sound familiar? No problem, here's the documentation.

Please respond here as to why you are using Legacy Titler below and I will pass along the feedback to the Premiere Pro team. Not here to judge, just to provide good feedback. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 120 Replies 120
Guide ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I almost forgot. When I last used the new Essential Graphics Panel I noticed I did not see the titles show up in the bin. I want them to show up in the bin. That is one of my biggest issues with the Essential Graphics Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy,

They've been pretty clear they're moving away from the bins thing. For example, in a Productions workflow, you use folders (it creates real folders on disc) to organize the project, and within the folders, project files to 'hold' assets. And they suggest one project file per "bin" worth of organized assets from a stand-alone project workflow. Why? Premiere has less overhead loaded into RAM/cache this way, and runs faster with bigger Jobs.

For graphics, their new process is select one on a sequence and "export as mogrt" which is then stored where you tell it, and you access them from the EGP panel. You can set that up to only show the graphics from the folder or type you want to see, and use keywords to search.

I have asked for the ability to simply store in a CC Library, drag/drop ... but that doesn't even seem likely at this point. Graphics will be accessed from the EGP.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the newer titler is just married to the timeline/sequence.  I like the idea of just being able to have a bin of titles in my project that I can just drag and reuse, especially for a TV/video series (e.g., the name title for a host, commonly featured interviewee, etc.).  Actually, I miss the days when titles themselves were separate *files* that I could just import into any project, and they weren't just married to one project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe has to realize some of us want the titles in the bin. You can click on old legacy titles and see what sequnces they were used in. Not seeing the new Essential Graphics Panel titles in the bin is a deal breaker. As far as using up more RAM is concerned it is 2020. You can get 64GB of ram for cheap. Moving forward 32 core CPUs will also become less expensive.

This thread should encourage Adobe to make some updates to the old legacy titler and the new Essential Graphics Panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"should encourage Adobe to make some updates to the old legacy titler "

As Kevin has said, that won't happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I miss the days when titles themselves were separate *files* that I could just import into any project, and they weren't just married to one project file.

You still can, it's just a slightly different process. Select one, "export as Mogrt", and tell it where to store the thing whether in a Library or local file storage. Then you access them from the Browse tab of the EGP. You can set the Browse view to local storage or CC libraries in any combination you select. You can search by keyword even.

When you move over to say a Productions workflow, you don't even use bins anymore. You segment out what you once put in bins into a project file, organizing project files in folders of your Production. So you can have a Media folder, with project files for Day 1, Day 2, or whatnot.

Yea, there's a lot that's changing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from the fact it's unintuitive and badly designed, I am often forced to use legacy titler because it's simply more stable. So frustrating when you click the typeface only to find the programme freezes / crashes / is missing half the fonts / or just doesn't do anything. And no, this issue is not with my computer, which is high-spec and specifically recommended by an Adobe expert. So annoying when Adobe constantly adds new features while neglecting much of the basic functionality of video editing, like basic text editing. And don't get me started on fluid playback...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I undersand the frustration, although most aren't having the issues you are. Which makes it all the more maddening. I haven't had a problem with type choices since they changed the way they handle fonts a cycle or so back. What is the issue on those computers where this sort of thing is happening? Wish I knew. I've been on the short list of a few users with a stupid bug myself. Wasn't an enjoyable experience.

I would have one correction ... give me the list of all the new features of 2019 and 2020? That would be ... oh, auto-reframe, and Productions. Productions came out of the work of the separate Hollywood team, so ... it really took rather little effort by the main team. Why so few?

Because they have been ... finally! ... working on getting bugs out and stability up as the main focus. They've dropped the main things hitting the majority of users, and are wading into the things hitting smaller and smaller groups. Which are the harder ones because ... the reason a bug or stability issue exists is they can't replicate it in-house. What you can't see, you can't fix.

So ... please ... file a detailed report over on the UserVoice system. Either add on to a previous filed report, or create a new one. Either way, give FULL details of your gear, OS, media, effects, and general workflow so they can try to sort out what the factors are that are involved here. I've talked with one of the engineers tasked with reading every flipping report, and he had only one complaint: too little detail.

"X is broke, fix it!" doesn't tell them squat if X ain't broke on any machine they've got access to. And ... no, they don't respond to most posts, but there's been a number of folks that had been posting here, filed a UV report, and were stunned that they got an engineer wanting more detail. Yea, you give them something useful, they are gonna be able to work with it.

And getting rid of the backlog of crud in this app is something that helps us all.

Neil

Neil  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the legacy title because I don't have the title tab which would normally show at the top (I'm quite new to Premiere Pro). Is there a way in which I could add the title tab to the top. I see in videos people have the title tab at the top (with the other tabs) but I don't. Is this because I'm on Windows?

Thank you,

All input & advice is extremely appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add or move the Essential Graphics Panel and create a custom workspace:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until just recently, I was using Legacy title for Arabic typing, may I say everytime I would have a problem with Arabic in essential graphics. Since the latest CC update and the ability to instal software with Arabic support this has been slowly phasing out.

But I can imagine a reason why people might still use Legacy is that it creates it's own assets in the Project panel, hence making it easier to find them, label theme and organize them, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most users don't realize that the Browse tab of the EGP is the place they expect graphics to be organized, and once you start using it, the system works fine. It's just so different.

But you can keyword your graphics, tell Premiere where to store them whether on local folder/disc or whichever Library you choose, create sub-folders and such. Search by name/keywords.

It's just in a different place than the standard project file and bins.

But then, when you start working in Productions, they recommend you stop using bins anyway. Create project files instead of bins, and weirdly ... it does work.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But that applies to mogrts, or templates that we create, but not to the individual assets that we create.

Let's say I have a 1hour project, with lower thirds, subtitles, titles and keywords animation. At least there is 500 titles in there

My client comes back with a modification request... "Please change Brian to Bryan"

Goodluck finding Brian.

With legacy title you would have an asset in the project pannel, when you create your title of Brian you can name it (if it does not automatically rename). And hence it will be easier to find it when needed, just type in "Brian" in the search field, double click, change and here you go. I can't think of any way to do that with essential graphics

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian,

I agree. The leagacy titler has more drawing options but the real deal break for the EGP is I want my titles in the bin. I could use the EGP for simple titles but until the titles from the EGP show up in my bins I will not use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Essential Graphics you could do a search in the timeline. Hit cmd or ctrl F and search for Name/contains Brian. It should point you to the next graphic with "Brian" in it. That is not possible with Legacy Titles on the other hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 18, 2020 May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil

It seems the most common request is to have titles appear in a bin / folder. Wouldn't it be simpler for Adobe to automatically create a .mogrt file in a folder labelled EG in the project directory whenever a new graphic is created and then have it appear in the "normal" place (ie  the project window). Having another EG tab to browse just for graphics takes up more screen real estate and seems unnecessary and clunky. If all you're changing is text for example, then just dragging it from your project window to the timeline and editing it directly on the screen seems more efficient. Once you do that, in the background PP creates another .mogrt file and it magically appears in the right place. Doesn't seem like anything that couldn't be handled in preferences and with some coding.

Also when it comes to organising project directories rather than bins, isn't that something that could also happen using the existing interface? ie - whatever you create in the project panel is automatically reflected in the actual drive? That would be cool, although I can understand the issues when working in a team environment.

Thanks

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quick assembly of title plates.  (for 50min+ pieces)

I guess I could self organize with the bins, but it always was efficient -> until Legacy Titler broke in OS Mojave on a 5,1 mac pro.

btw~ I've used  the mogurt templates and after effects when appropriate alternatives (like, worth the time).  Titler Tool is an old fave for organization's sake.  I admit however, it has many limitations - but in quick assembly allows a bit of muscle.

*What REALLY gets me is I 'jumped past' this issue by upping to the Premiere Pro Beta application in CreativeCloud.  I just contacted support (via chat) to report (unrelated bugs to the working Legacy Titler) in Beta (not showing the Workspaces at top bar) and they blew me off to 'the forums'.  'Adobe User Voice' has a lot to say about the Customer Relations Adobe seems to keep as a whole.  For me, a rather unpleasant taste occurs on the pallete after most interactions.

YOU'D THINK that in testing a beta version they'd want input easily amassed.  However, IT's ADOBE though, i guess not. <shrug>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two icons at the upper right of the Public Beta versions of the app ... the Beaker icon will show what's new, the bubble with three dots takes you directly to the Public Beta board to comment on things. And yes, the developers do monitor and respond on that board.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I hope that they do.  Chat support just dissapointed me i guess.  Glad there's a quick way to report!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe ... sigh.

There's so much about working within their sphere that is great.

And some things that ... aren't always so great.

Product Support manager Kevin Monahan routinely suggests that anyone going to either phone or chat support IMMEDIATELY ask for the Video Que on getting a live body response for either form. And that right there can make a huge difference in the "user experience" because getting a generalist working from a cheat-sheet or someone who actually knows something about working in the program ... those aren't even close to the same response.

But how are the main users to know it even exists? Well ... someone says "You should try this next time." It ain't written down anywhere!

I've had the opportunity for the last six years to meet some of the staffers for Premiere, AfterEffects, Audition, and CharacterAnimator at NAB in Vegas in their booth. And for the last four years, at Adobe MAX. (Sadly, neither even has or will be held this year.)

There's some wonderful, talented, and enjoyable people there. And they're happy to talk and do listen.

But in the general 'help' area, well ... not so great an experience.

It's sad, isn't it?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

こんにちは、Kevin_Monahanさん

グラフィッククリップにはまだ使い辛い項目があります。これらを改善すればグラフィッククリップに移行しやすくなるのではと思います。
以下は私が思うグラフィッククリップの改善要望項目です。

①日本語フォントは、日本語表記にして欲しい。
英文表記ですと見た瞬間に分からず探すのに時間がかかり作業効率が落ちます。
②フォントをフォルダー分けが出来るようにして欲しい。例えば、よく使うフォント、日本語フォント、アドビフォント、欧文フォント等のように。
フォントは何十種類もあるので、探すのに時間がかかり作業効率が落ちます。
③フォントのストロークをマイターに設定した時、とげが発生しないようにして欲しい。
④ペンツール、長方形ツール、楕円ツールの頂点の操作方法を、Photoshopと統一して欲しい。
⑤各レイヤー独立にエフェクトが適応できるようにして欲しい。
⑥グラフィッククリップ、ローカルテンプレートフォルダー、ライブラリ、mogrtファイル等の関係が複雑で分かりづらい。
「タイトルとモーショングラフィックスの作成」文書の中で、それぞれの関係を図付きで説明して欲しい。

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because it works good for what I need. Fast and simple. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like a feature request is being created for the EGP. Putting the titles in the bin should be number 1 on the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keyboard Shortcuts? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2020 May 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Every keyboard shortcut for the olde-tyme Legacy Titler was ported out to simply being a graphics keyboard short in I think April of 2019, so ... yes, you can use about every keyboard shortcut from the Titler in EGP work.

I'd been after that pretty directly with some of the staff at NAB and MAX. As had many, many others. And yea, it's SO much better to be able to nudge 1 or 5 pixels with a key-press. Increase/decrease font ... yea ...

Neil

PrPro EGP Keyshorts list p1.PNG

PrPro EGP Keyshorts list p2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines