• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

May I buy Premiere Pro for a one time payment?

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to pay for Premiere Pro one time, and own a copy of the program with life?

[Title edited for question clarity and future forum search... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2019 Dec 19, 2019

Nope, subscription only.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2021 May 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emilian, this is primarily a user-to-user Forum – so we don't really have the power to help you here, unfortunately...

If you have feedback for Adobe, you can send it to them directly at:

https://www.adobe.com/go/wish

However, it seems unlikely they would change the business model. That ship sailed a long time ago... And in actual fact, Creative Cloud has arguably been very successful with now an estimated 22 million subscribers.

Adobe overhauled the business in 2012 in part because they couldn't iterate & release their products as frequently with the old model to respond to new technological developments, and it seems to have worked out.

For more details, see this explainer post:

Why Creative Cloud Gets Ongoing Upgrades and Adobe CS6 Doesn't

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Emilian98A2, but I completely disagree with you. I am very happy with my subscription. As you stated in your first sentence, "you know you're not the target customer". And that's the thing that every successful company must understand: who is their target market? You must understand... you're probably not the person Adobe is trying to sell a CC/Premiere Pro subscription to, and that's okay! You don't have to be.

Premiere Pro and its CC littermates are marketed primarily toward people who make their living with the products, or at least do some paid work, or who are serious hobbyists. People for whom it's a business expense, or perhaps it's just that passion they're willing to pour money into (lots of people have a passion like this). If you only use PR a few times a year, and you just want to join a few video files, then aren't those free/open source softwares you mentioned perfect for you? Why even bother with Premiere Pro?

You said "try placing yourself in the position of the regular user"... by which I assume you mean people like yourself? ... but earlier you said that you're not the "target business customer". Truth is, PR's "regular user" actually isn't anything like you. And again, totally okay... you don't have to be that person. The target user is prepared to spend money on this video creation endeavor... editors sometimes need to replace their computer every 3-5 years ($2000 - $5000), they purchase stock assets regularly (buying one 30 second clip can cost $70 - $300, and they needs lots), and plugins plugins plugins. Honestly, the actual CC subscription is potentially the cheapest part for some folks. 

You said "you guess" no one needs all those features. You must assume that because you don't use those features. Adobe collects data on what is being used in its apps, and professionals do use all the crazy stuff.

Would you walk onto the lot of a space shuttle dealer (if there was such a thing) and say, why are these so expensive??? And don't you guys know that most people don't need all these features??? I'm not paying all that just to drive around town! They would smile politely and say, Toyota is down the street, sir. There's nothing wrong with their product, or their price... or with Toyotas or their price either! Just go get whatever it is *you* need. The problem is just that you're shopping in the wrong place. Space travellers should head to the shuttle dealer, and city slickers should go to the car dealer. Silly example but I can't think of a better one, sorry.

Ironically, I'm a whole lot more like you than most Premiere Pro users. I'm not a professional video editor... and I don't even create very much. I'm just a self employed music teacher who creates video for my students. One could argue to me that I'm WAY overpaying for what I'm getting. But I so appreciate the subscription model. When I first decided to get into editing, I was expecting to be asked to pay a LARGE figure for software of this caliber. (I tried all the open source stuff first... got sick of headaches/lack of documentation/lack of features/lack of support and decided, if I'm doing this, I'm getting the good stuff because I do not need more stress in my life.) Imagine my shock when I discovered I could download and start using Premiere Pro for TWENTY BUCKS. What??? I was on it within minutes. And I upgraded to the entire cloud when I was offered a promotional price.

Your declaration that Adobe is not making money is also false. Have you read about them in the news last few years, or did you just make that assumption by checking the torrents?

I don't like pirated software. I like constant updates. I like that I didn't have to pay a gigantic sum once and then I'm stuck with only those features forever. I like the way the apps all work together. I like getting support. I think subscriptions make it easy, not hard, to get started. I see it as win win, for company and customer.

I do feel your pain on "everything is a subscription now and I can't afford it all". Good thing... I think that this is making us all very choosy about what we subscribe to... only what is valuable to us, and for each of us it will be different. Rather than subscriptions making companies lazy, I think it makes them work harder. Because we are all now much more cautious about what we subscribe to. And they must compete harder to earn my subscription, which I'm not agreeing to easily or often. One time impulse purchases are easy for a company to score, even with substandard products. But you're right, I'm not about to subscribe to everything that's offered to me. If a company wins my rare subscription, it's because I've thought it through and I really believe that product is valuable to me. And I suspect that you subscribe to things that I never would. That's okay. We have different needs. I will happily subscribe to Creative Cloud and forgo 50 other things that are advertised to me daily. I encourage you to only subscribe to things you feel merit it, and forgo Creative Cloud. I don't think you really need it, honestly... nothing wrong with that.

I do sincerely wish you success in choosing the product that is right for your needs! Have a great day. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is truly a thoughtful, excellent post – thank you.

And yes, folks do seem to sometimes forget that back in the "good ol' days" of CS6, you used to have to pay $800 up front for a static copy of the software with no upgrades! Not very affordable for many people, and there was much griping about it at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always quietly laugh a little when I read the "rip off " topics.  Premiere Pro at $20 a month is an expense.  How much did it cost to get 20 or 30 minutes of film and get it processed?  Could it be that one of the reasons that Adobe is doing so well is because, in reality, digital video making is so cheap!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 31, 2021 May 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I'm on the subject (and after this I'm ready to get off)... I think the only NLEs that don't do subscriptions at all nowadays (aside from Resolve and FCPX, stay tuned) are the open source ones: Shotcut, Kden, etc.

Premiere Pro isn't the only one. Avid Media Composer is also SaaS. Even the lower tier ones: Vegas and Hitfilm have subscription versions. Maybe Filmora is the only one in that "bracket" I can think of that isn't (? don't quote me).

My point: most, or at least LOTS, of people who edit video pay a subscription to one company or another. And the more serious/ professional your work becomes, the more likely it is that you do pay a subscription. Adobe is not an "unusually evil" company. I don't think evil at all, really.

About Resolve being free: I've heard it's amazing and high caliber and I believe it. I have it on my computer, but no time or interest in learning it yet. But I read an article once explaining that DaVinci Resolve is itself a fantastic marketing strategy. Blackmagic (who makes Resolve) makes their money selling hardware: expensive cameras and editing consoles. They give away the paid version of their great editing/ color grading app with every camera PURCHASE. And they will let the world download and use their app for free because enough of those free users will eventually decide to buy an editing console for it. So the software is free and supposedly great, but rest assured, they are still making money, just a different way. It's not as if Blackmagic gives away software out of the goodness of their hearts while Adobe charges a subscription because they are greedy villains. Um, no.

Similar situation with Final Cut: not free, but a one time payment. But remember, it only works on Apple computers, and Apple makes its money primarily selling its propietary hardware. It is a shrewd move for them to sell a comparable software for a (relatively) low price that only works on THEIR MACHINE. So if you want to use that app, looks like you'll be buying computers from them! (Same true for iMovie too... why not cover all the bases?)

Bottom line... all these companies need to make money. They all sell SOMETHING. If you notice, the ones who charge subscriptions are the ones who ONLY sell software. Their apps are it... bread and butter, and the only products they pour all their focus into. They don't make anything else. The ones who don't charge subscriptions are using their app to sell you something else. Nothing wrong with either of those models, just different. 

Just pointing out that Adobe is not evil or unique for subscriptions or making money in general.

And as I stated in my previous post, if you don't want to pay for Creative Cloud, there are plenty of other free/ one time payment options. Several are named here.  The people who choose Creative Cloud do so because they prefer it for their particular needs and it's worth it to them.

K, I'm done with this topic now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2024 Mar 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is that possible? How can I do that? You can give me a proper suggestion on this. how can i buy one time this software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines