• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

new computer to replace mouse

Guide ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was a nervous wreck today ( this morning up to now ....cause now its BEER THIRTY YIPEE ! TIME to relax )

Reason for nervous wrecklessness is I went to micro center in MN. area to pick out new computer components and see if they could build it for me, and be within my tight budget.

It took about 3 hours . But luckily the sales guy I met up with was fantastic and very cool.. and knew a LOT of stuff about high end machines and monitors etc.. through his own computer use ( serious gamer but aware of video editing and photoshop on pro level ). He did a lot to lessen my anxiety... and between us we think we got a good system for starting out. I can add stuff ( drives and better monitor(s) later as needed ).

This is what I got...and I will pick it up in 3-4 days from now...and it will weigh about 40 pounds !  Yikes !  It's HUGE !

components copy.jpg

After I pick it up and bring home I'm gonna install cs6 hard copy creative suite... update both windows and CS6 to newest versions and patches and fixes and whatever... and then unplug the ( disable ) new computer from internet.

We figured on 1 SSD for OS

1 SSD for scratch disk ( cs6 ) and probably those temp rendered files etc that PR likes...

2 Hard drives in raid 1 for source material

1 Hard drive for exports.

Then I can use my ext hd graid for backup of exports or for transit.

I'm probably gonna need help getting this set up right and adobe loaded properly.. and hope this thread can do that even though we are in lounge and typically dont deal with tech issues... I'll see how that goes down the road.

I really don't wanna spread myself all over the map and share posts with people who are frankly a bit less than interested in trying to eek out the best 'pro' system I can get going with this startup system...with an eye for adding to it later ( like when I get a client for example.. which would be nice at some point.. duh )

Anyway, regardless, it's BEER THIRTY ! YIPPEEE ! 

AND I GOT A NEW COMPUTER ( almost )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

notice the scarf and French motif....scarf and wine if I may so bold...and remember strauss kahn...who tied up the maid...

scarf and wine.jpg

in THIS scientific " study" the woman is going out the " in " door...and has claws for hands... but wears a beautiful scarf ...probably to tie up her lovers...

imf scarf2.jpg

whereas... in this pic the current IMF genius is wearing a scarf to tie up her 'enemies'

She knows that being close to her enemies is important and talks to bloomberg via secret twitter stuff ( bloomberg is trying to get

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 391 Replies 391
Guide ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed that if you're doing stuff with SNAKES it's sorta easy to fill a 16:9 frame... but if you have stuff that is much higher vertically...it leaves a lot of empty space on the left and right....

have you noticed that too ? I think ADOBE should FIX IT !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont know why I just thought of this...probably the beers...but

BY THE WAY...

as I need shots ( movie clips ) of people having fun and family stuff that is beautiful ( and there's no end to this subject matter )....it occurred to me that JEFF BELUNE might have some nice stuff to share. Kids playing in yard, birthday parties, Xmas unwrapping of presents, dogs jumping up and down with tails wagging, and ( now thinking of Jim ) people at a wedding celebration having a great time...etc etc.

This includes fishing fun, sailing fun ( on lake not ocean ), all of humanity and our neighbors and kids and families living.

living is the important thing, and I'm focused here on the fun stuff. The beautiful stuff. Like 'its a wonderful life' good parts.

If anyone wants to share any 1920x1080 2997 stuff like that ( 3 second clips )...lets do it. If you can think of something you have that fits ( not americas funniest home videos unfortunately ... I dont want that ).. gimme !  Nobody will know it's not Mound, cause where YOU live is just as cool....know what I mean ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I think that it's the fault of all those architects, with those tall, skinny buildings. I mean, you can't just crop off the top, or the bottom. I think that ALL buildings should be constructed in 16:9, and be done with it.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just move back to NYC and you can shoot widescreen and still not get all the buildings into the shot. Even standing in NJ.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you don't like the idea of using the Internet or credit cards, but in seven days you could download 120 video clips from Videoblocks for free. Many of them are exactly what you want. And they give you a model release.

One Videoblocks example... This is the lower quality MP4 and not the better MOV file, but you get the idea. This could have happened in Mound instead of Utah, couldn't it?

But Jeff does have quite the collection of kids at his place.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

============

I think that ALL buildings should be constructed in 16:9, and be done with it.

========

yeah, everything should be sprawling ranch style ONLY...

Hey, how's chuck mcIntire ??? Has he been around in the other forums ??  I miss him.

Yeah, Steve, hehe... Jeff probably has a real nice bunch O kids. Think of all they can learn from him too...yikes...that would be cool.  computer stuff, etc.

I'll go out and shoot my own stuff... is free and will get me out of the stupid apt. anyway... be good for me.

it's nice to see someplace with collection of cool clips.. thanks...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill, dont know if I mentioned it but your psd file with guides is perfect.. imported that layer just to chk against the monitor action and title safe and it was spot on !  thanks !

used your line for text (a bit above center) and it looks good too.

If I was framing artwork I would lower it a little for the matt size but its great for text IMO. I put the center line of this text (title) on your line and like it. (text at end of 40 sec clip )

http://rodneybauer.com/whiteboard8.htm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

color test

http://enchroma.com/test/instructions/

my results

You are a MEDIUM DEUTAN. Deuteranomaly is a type of red-green color vision deficiency related to a genetic anomaly of the M-cone (i.e. the green cone).

recommended type glasses they make for this

http://enchroma.com/shop/enchroma-cx-d-explorer/

is only good outside cause they are sunglasses... not good for computer screen or indoors unless it's really really bright, according to review I read...

this is SO COOL !  FIRST TIME ANYONE has even tried to help color blind people that I ever heard of....

the guy that did review said it didnt help him see the color test better ( shapes in circles of colored dots that make up the test ) but didnt explain why.  weird.

but he DID say that outside he could see WAY MORE STUFF than ever before...

so maybe this is at least a first step toward better stuff in future...

yipee !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of those made me nervous at first. There were a bunch of "nothings" in a row.

But I passed the test with normal vision. Nothing for me to worry about.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've known a long tme about my sorta minor color blindness but never knew what it was called. I think most doctors that give the test don't know the specifics as well as that auto test does, when it goes through the results in its database. I think that test gives you samples based on previous answers too... to narrow down stuff... ??? Just guessing.

pretty cool though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always worried a little that I might be slightly color blind so the test was somethat reassuring. My father was badly color blind.

I work with wires every day. They are color coded. Some CAT5 cable has very easily identifiable differences between the orange and the brown pairs. Some? Not so much. Often when I need to use a long run of cable, I have to put the connectors on in dimly lit rooms or warehouses. My flashlight has a bit of a tint to it so that just makes it worse.

My boss ordered a box of cable a couple of years ago that had slightly translucent wires inside. I just couldn't tell the difference between the orange and the brown except in strong lighting. After the first couple of tries, I brought it back into the office and told him to order a different brand. I refused to work with it. I would not even make cables with it in the office because sometime I would get to the field with those cables and have to cut an end off for one reason or another and the color coding would mess me up.

That box was relegated to use in the Central Office environment only.  The box of cable (1000') that I have in my company van now is great. Easy to see.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. when I went to work for ny tel as repairman I failed the color test and had to talk the guy into giving me a 'practical' test instead...

using the wires in the field ( solid color and then thin stripe of diff color ...those ones with a kinda 'cloth - like' insulation ? )...

Some of those are really difficult but matching them was no problem for me ( I had been working with stuff at home for years during time my dad was doing elec courses with me ). The other thing was the color bands on resistors ( denoting the ohm rating )...

I passed the practical so was able to get hired.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Aug 18, 2013 Aug 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven Gotz wrote:

But filing cabinets make great legs, don't they.

To revive a sub-conversation about workstations we were having almost a month ago...

Here's my solution for a 'cheap' computer desk.  The door was trimmed down in length by the folks at the hardware store, but you get the general idea:

IMG_0018.jpg

It isn't stylish or beautiful.  But it is functional and sturdy enough to hold 3 22" CRTs back when I used those types of monitors (ie, 50lbs a piece).  That's my gaming station as I don't trust Windoze for anything but.  For work, I turn to the right and see this:

IMG_0019.jpg

I bought that desk long before I did the door-and-filing cabinet thing, and it was a waste of money.  But since I still have it, and it serves a purpose, I figured I'd continue using it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very cool Jason...nice going.

I laughed when I saw kitchen towel over that thing ( printer ? ), as I do the same thing...

where does all the stupid DUST come from ????   it's a never ending battle....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh oh... pig is not happy !

after 50 seconds of timeline with this basic stuff....

http://rodneybauer.com/whiteboard8.htm

at 1920x1080p 2997

I took out the stupid last couple secs ( mound logo ) and put a map of MN. (psd with transparent background).. on timeline..and the pig is now gagging on something !

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

well, no worries.. pig happy again.. made new psd file, pasted the bad psd file map into new psd file and put on timeline and all is well...

very bizarre, left weird artifacts in another level of video ( looked like pinpoints of white ), but just cut that out and fixed and new psd map is working okay.. just wasted about an hour or so...no big deal.

is it possible the ps7 psd file layers ( with transparent backgrounds ) are not liking this cs6 stuff ???

who cares.. time to move on...

yipee ! ITS BEER THIRTY !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod

I have something important to say

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES POWER UP THIE PC

It will cause you nothing but grief and desperation

You will spend endless hours in total frustration

But there is a solution

A very simple solution

A solution that I am surprized all the other guys have not already put forward

Simply pack up the PC and send it DHL to me

I'll then spend endless hours sorting out the problems that are inheritantly in the PC

I'll spend even more time testing out the programms

I'll then re-pack it up ad send it back to you

I estimate that it will only take me about three or four years

Now how about that for the deal of the day

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I think that Biggles might be planning on watching a 3D feed of the upcoming F1 races on your new box!

OTOH, he does make a great offer, and one that you might want to consider...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other caveat is that Biggles will likely work on some of that PAL stuff. Once that gets into a PC, you can never use NTSC again. Just something to think about.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill

You are just jealous that I got in there first with my once in a lifetime, too good to resist offer

Col

F1 or Suzi Perry have nothing (well not much)  to do with it

PAL, thats a brand of dog food in the UK that prolongs active life (PAL) and they say we Brits are not subtle.

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW,

Did Suzi appear at the F1?

I have got to try and catch Ms. Perry, when I am over in October. Hope that the Park Lane has her in the line-up.

You are correct. I was about to suggest that I set up Rod's Pig, but you beat me to the punch... !

Maybe THAT is the PAL, that messes up those computers?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the pig is the answer... when I like it a lot it is " the empress ".... in honor of the empress of blandings castle....( the empress of Mound ).... and when I'm mad at it, it can be the pig, or the FAT pig !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe... pig exercise ...funny...

Steve Buscemi is a very talented and smart guy. Years ago he was directing some episodes of that weird TV show OZ... I think that was the name of the show...

He stars in boardwalk empire and the producer / director guy is also really really good, and they work well together. It's unfortunate that his 'looks' will keep him sorta stuck maybe ( parts ) but who knows, maybe not.  But anyway, he is really smart.  And quick witted. also stand offish on sets but not mean.  so says me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dont remember him on sopranos.. but i only worked 2nd half of first season.

That turned out pretty weird...

At first hbo was non union and in order to get hbo to go union and shoot in nyc a special 'contract' was drawn up. It gave away the farm more or less... lots of giving up stuff... which subsequently affected certain 'conditions'. For example, production could work the crew 18 hour days without really having any money reason NOT to do it... ( eg. overtime, meal penalties, a cap of 8 hours pension welfare paid per day, stuff like that ).

The first season of sopranos you COULDN'T GET CREW to work on it, even with lots of begging ....cause it was the WORST contract in NY then. The lowest scale rate, the worst conditions.

After about 1.5 seasons the crew finally said to production, " we will not work more than 16 hours per day in a general sense... if once in a while it has to be longer, okay, but we won't work 18 hour days anymore as a rule ".. that sorta thing.  So the hours got a bit better in terms of the length of day ( dont forget there is only a 10 turnaround between when wrap is called and the next call time ...and your travel to and from work is your own time ).  Working 18 hour days just kills people basically.. they end up falling asleep on the roads and get killed etc.  IMO it is not cool.

Meantime, hbo also got into sex and the city some more...and these 2 shows ( sex and sopranos ) basically showed hbo that they could get quality work in nyc and work union.

Then, as time went on and various 'raises' were applied to the hbo contract etc ( voted on every few years or whatever )... and other things in ny changed ( more pressure from majors to cut costs etc )... it eventually turned out that the hbo contract was actually one of the BEST contracts in NY !!!!!  Things got so messed up with give backs to the majors to accomodate rising healthcare costs etc .. that now HBO was not so bad to work on at all.....

To some extent that's where things stand now.. a sort of lowering to the lowest common denominator.. and the low came up a bit, and the high went down a bit...

One thing that changed for everybody is the call time determination. It used to be that scheduling ( due to $$ pretty much keeping production to a set schedule with tight shooting .. no shooting 10 masters of same scene from different angles ) was pre determined mostly. If you were keying and needed extra day players the next day ( for a crane or whatever ) you could call the guys and book them and give them location and call time at least a day ahead of time.

NOW productions shoot until they stop.. it's cheaper than before and can shoot over the schedule and it doesn't matter that much.. which means ( due to turnaround which is now 9 hours instead of 10 ... 10 gave the crew too much time ! )...

So NOW you could be getting done with shoot at say 2am and the production company tells you your call time...and you as key have to call your 'day players' at 2am to tell them what their call time is....

This tends to wake up the whole house of the dayplayer ( phone ringing at strange hours for last minute call time info ).

ITS UGLY... boy, I'm glad I don't do that anymore !!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Empress works for me, though I have not read much PG Wodehouse. Think most pieces were serialized in Playboy, back in the 50's - 60's, but I may well be mis-remembering? What's the adage, "if you remember the 60's, you weren't there... "

From the size, you might consider "Blandings Castle."

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines