• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

new computer to replace mouse

Guide ,
Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I was a nervous wreck today ( this morning up to now ....cause now its BEER THIRTY YIPEE ! TIME to relax )

Reason for nervous wrecklessness is I went to micro center in MN. area to pick out new computer components and see if they could build it for me, and be within my tight budget.

It took about 3 hours . But luckily the sales guy I met up with was fantastic and very cool.. and knew a LOT of stuff about high end machines and monitors etc.. through his own computer use ( serious gamer but aware of video editing and photoshop on pro level ). He did a lot to lessen my anxiety... and between us we think we got a good system for starting out. I can add stuff ( drives and better monitor(s) later as needed ).

This is what I got...and I will pick it up in 3-4 days from now...and it will weigh about 40 pounds !  Yikes !  It's HUGE !

components copy.jpg

After I pick it up and bring home I'm gonna install cs6 hard copy creative suite... update both windows and CS6 to newest versions and patches and fixes and whatever... and then unplug the ( disable ) new computer from internet.

We figured on 1 SSD for OS

1 SSD for scratch disk ( cs6 ) and probably those temp rendered files etc that PR likes...

2 Hard drives in raid 1 for source material

1 Hard drive for exports.

Then I can use my ext hd graid for backup of exports or for transit.

I'm probably gonna need help getting this set up right and adobe loaded properly.. and hope this thread can do that even though we are in lounge and typically dont deal with tech issues... I'll see how that goes down the road.

I really don't wanna spread myself all over the map and share posts with people who are frankly a bit less than interested in trying to eek out the best 'pro' system I can get going with this startup system...with an eye for adding to it later ( like when I get a client for example.. which would be nice at some point.. duh )

Anyway, regardless, it's BEER THIRTY ! YIPPEEE ! 

AND I GOT A NEW COMPUTER ( almost )

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

notice the scarf and French motif....scarf and wine if I may so bold...and remember strauss kahn...who tied up the maid...

scarf and wine.jpg

in THIS scientific " study" the woman is going out the " in " door...and has claws for hands... but wears a beautiful scarf ...probably to tie up her lovers...

imf scarf2.jpg

whereas... in this pic the current IMF genius is wearing a scarf to tie up her 'enemies'

She knows that being close to her enemies is important and talks to bloomberg via secret twitter stuff ( bloomberg is trying to get

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 391 Replies 391
LEGEND ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tragedy just seems to follow so many in Hollywood. They are but "shooting stars," glowing brightly, but for a very short time - burning themselves out, far too early. Just another such story.

Thanks for the update on Arnold. I saw him (well, her) at a garden party, up in the Hollywood Hills, but that was back, just after Green Acres ended, and things, while not great, were still pretty good. Lot of personal appearances, and a short stint in a Santa Monica petting zoo, though even that was fraught with peril, as some former co-actors' children were there, and they just did not recognize Arnold, and did not know of her star-power. Guess things spiraled totally out of control. Poor Arnold, but most of know the story - except for the tragic end.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yikes... I have like NO CLUE who arnold was ...was a girl pig ??  what happened ? ended up being bacon with eggs and pancake stack at some I-HOP ???

I dont think pg wodehouse had anything to do with playboy.. hehe.. if you google his name and also golf.. something like " pg wodehouse golf " you'll get some hits for very funny stories he wrote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Wodehouse did not write FOR Playboy, but I do think that a few of his stories were serialized and printed there. The old adage, "I only read Playboy for the stories, was actually true, at least for me." There were a lot of writers, whose work appeared on those pages, Dahl, Fleming, Shepherd, Clarke, Bradbury and many more.

Back in middle-school, I did a book report on a Bradbury story, and had an A, until the teacher found out that it had been published in Playboy. I got an F, but was able to get that removed, by doing a half-dozen other book reports, but NOT from Playboy.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

assuming your teacher was a woman, I think that probably was a good move on her part... shame on YOU reading PLAYBOY !

Like you said, " But TEACHER, I DON'T look at the pictures, I SWEAR ! I only read the really high literature stuff !!!! "

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

remember that issue with ursala andress ?? YOW !  I was in lust for her for years afterward !

Probably ruined my life !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got real estate figured out for new pig coming home....

took the printer and film scanner and put them on floor ....making room on left ...

Took old cruddy monitor off mouse and put new HP pavillion ( pavillion ?? like greek place of worship ? ) 23xi onto mouse...

Now I got 1920x1080 on mouse for first time EVER. ( old monitor maxed out at 1440x )

Now have room to put pig on floor on left of table and I will buy a 2nd HP pavillion when I pick up pig at store...and put that to the left of other pavillion..

Now....if I network mouse and pig I can keep monitors separate ( one monitor per computer ). BUT when I work with editing on pig I will put both monitors into PIG !

How cool is THAT ! ????

So now I have tons of room to work at this high tech looking table of STUFF.. and am ready to bring the 'empress of Mound' home and take good care of her etc... ( feed it some nice SD cards ! )

highTechEditSpace.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps.. the pig is roughly 3-4 times the size of the mouse.. I'm not kidding !  It's HUGE !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Free, jbp endorsed software for sharing keyboard / mouse

between multiple networked computers:

"Synergy lets you easily share your mouse and keyboard
between multiple computers on your desk."
http://synergy-foss.org/

I have used it without error for years,

connecting five networked systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, I was gonna do that ...and thought about it when at micro center.. cause for a while in Queens I shared 2 computers with stuff..where I had a switch that worked real good... for some stuff.. I don't remember now but I think it was parallel port stuff ( printer ? etc ? ) and back then it was serial ports for mouse and keyboards...

I'm on such a tight budget now, and this monitor is so thin ...I can just drag it forward and unplug the dvi cable and put it into the other computer real fast.. wont bother me. Thanks for that suggestion though.. I would do it if I had the xtra couple bucks... I am really really getting down to " eat peanut butter for the next 3 years " mode....

oh... just read that link.. I wont have the computers networked after I get the pig up to date on latest win7 and cs6 stuff.. I'm gonna disable that pig from internet connection after I get it up to date.. no network.

I did talk to a friend about leaving the pig on network but NOT have the internet connection, and he said it was really complicated to do , and he's a computer geek and I think for me it's just easier to disable or unplug the pig...end of story..no junk from internet on editing platform.

thanks for that link ..I didnt read it until after post where I assumed it was switches...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember now but I think it was parallel port stuff ( printer ? etc ? ) and back then it was serial ports for mouse and keyboards...

KVM switch. (Keyboard / Video / Mouse).

I would do it if I had the xtra couple bucks...

It's free.

http://synergy-foss.org/download/?list

http://synergy-foss.org/download/?alt

You can donate a buck or more if you want.

note:

I am using Version "1.3.1 Stable" from the second link.

I can just drag it forward and unplug the dvi cable and put it into the other computer real fast.. wont bother me.

Instead of pulling cables and re-plugging them,

you can get a monitor with multiple inputs, and use a

button on the fromt of the monitor to switch between inputs.

I have four of these... great monitors.

NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/lcd2090uxi-bk-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CS0TV3147

Mounted on one of these:

Visidec VFS-Q Freestanding Quad Monitor arm

http://www.atdec.com/mounts/monitor-stands/visidec-vfs-q

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Joe, I'll look into it more when I get the pig and set it up and install programs etc...and get to the point where I'm now wanting to have 2 monitors on pig and one on mouse.. Thanks.. knowing that option is nice.

Yeah, those nec monitors are really nice.. I know its a big drop off from " good " to " the rest of the pack "...

I looked at one at micro center that the tech guy owns for photoshop stuff and gaming.. and it was about $ 1100.00. I think it was 23 inches....

He calibrated with spyder thing I think he said...but that stuff is so out of my range now... especially without a 'client' in sight... but maybe later. The card I have can drive them I think.. so it's just a matter of buying the monitors... who knows, might wanna upgrade card too though...more than a gig.  He tried to keep me around $ 2500.00 and we got close ( a little higher ). I'll get the 2nd HP monitor when I pick up pig ...thats another $170 there.. which is not a bad price. Micro center is cool....

Then after I get the gist of workflow with mov h264 and the basics down for how it's working out... I'll get into tweaking things.. if that makes sense ....

I still have a long way to go. After I get pig home I have to install this adobe nightmare cs6 creative suite and all the updates... and all the updates for win 7... this is what it is... then defrag everything and start to set up folders and scratch disks and so on.. for working... the monitors at this point.. if I can get in the ballpark... is very nice for me now... just being cheapo junk stuff... I know... it's a start.

thank you for your info re: what you're using and doing.. I am saving the info and will get back to it when I can...

oooooo, cool mount !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only drawback to a KVM is that you need to keep up with which machine it's working with, at any minute. I do not want you getting frustrated, when the "other" computer is not working for you - shoving Mouse off the table, or kicking Pig - just because the KVM is pointed at the other computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

KVM is outdated and clumsy.

I do not recommend its use.

Back in the day, it was the only option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the process of doing several "clean OS builds" on my different boxes,

I developed a step-by-step process of BIOS / OS / drivers / OS tweaks /

software installation sequence, etc.

I keep this archived for each system for when I do a new build.

You might consider keeping a log of the steps you take as you install

in case something gets 'porked' in the installation (pun intended).

This way, it makes it easier to figure out where any potential

conflicts / errors were introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ug... okay.. I hear that... will keep notes ....

I have to recall tons of stuff now about setting things up right and which services to let run and all that junk...

the main drag will be the initial install and updates and defrags...a lot of time " waiting" and so on... very time consuming , and that is assuming all goes well... which is highly doubtful but I can pray a lot...

Will see how it goes.

If I need help I can get on mouse and get help on internet etc...

thats one reason I wanna get pig off internet when its completey set up right.. I don't want the extra " variable" of "what might be wrong" if things get wanky.

anyway, thanks a ton, I have lots of help and I've been reading about stuff for more than a year about cs6.. so I should be better off than the average person just coming into it cold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of getting jumped, I'd like to say that I have worked on

edit systems that are always connected to the internet since 2004.

I keep all firewall / security settings in Windows completely disabled,

but I have the network router firewall enabled for the net connection.

I have never had any system problems that I can

attribute to having an active internet connection.

If you are careful (and behave yourself), I think some of the declarations

that an edit system be completely isolated from the net are overstated.

(Ducking, with hands covering head)

note:

I also run a dual-boot system on both of my workstation boxes: Win7/XP.

Any odd or untested software I need to install and run goes in XP.

My Win7 64 installation stays clean, lean and mean for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

I also have a hardware firewall, that I hide behind with my computers.

Now, I do shut things down, when doing serious editing, but that is for resources only.

What I do not do is visit dodgey Web sites, or open up suspect e-mails, when editing, with the computers' guard down.

To date, I have not had any issues, over about 10 years.

No jumping from this quarter.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe... Biggles, very funny... it looks like I'll just have to deal with the frustrations here and let you enjoy the pig and all my fun times vicariously....I will keep you posted on how many times I'm tempted to yell at the pig or pull its tail ~

Joe, another friend tells me the same thing about the connection and also dual boot.. though he uses that ms thing.. essentials ?  mse ??

I just so much don't trust net security I really think I'm just gonna use mouse for internet once I'm up to date on stuff where pig is working well...

I appreciate your take on it though. I seem to be the only one in the world who feels as I do .....probably totally unnecessary paranoia (sp)

has anyone noticed there's like a TON of documentaries on TV nowadays ???  Yikes !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AP News Alert !

July 3, 2013

Customer who is waiting for the 'Empress Of Mound' ( aka The Pig ) sits by phone awaiting call from techs telling him it is " Ready to be picked up and brought home ! "

=========

tick tock, tick tock.....TICKKKKKKK TOKKKKKKKK.....TIKKKKKKKKKKKK TOKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK ( TIME SLOWS and even the 'sound' of the ticking and tocking gets deeper in tone..... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

router hooked up.. working on mouse.. now I can just plug in the pig when I get it...

a tiny step for the mouse, a giant leap for the pig !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG !  I may have alienated some genius people who can help me with avisynth and special bat files and tricky workarounds to scale down, change xml code, rewrap stuff without changing stuff, and so many THINGS that adobe couldnt do natively...and deserve to be on a pedestal with a foundation of FACTS FACTS FACTS !.. LIKE GRANITE BLOCKS !

OMG !  I'M DOOMED !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

I am having a little trouble telling the real issues from the silliness sometimes, so please forgive me, but you know that wrappers and all that crud are a thing of the past for you now, right?

Premiere Pro CS6 edits everything you will be shooting natively. Shoot the highest quality video your camera can shoot, put it into a Premiere Pro sequence, drop it on the "New Item" button, and start editing in a perfect sequence.

You will see. CS6 is a very good, very solid build (unless you shoot AVCHD - so don't shoot AVCHD. There is no need to do so.)

Also, just so you know, I have had my editing PC connected to the Internet full time since I started editing with Premiere 6.0 over a dozen years ago. I never turn off the firewall to save CPU cycles, I use virus checkers, and everything runs just fine. Always has.

Having said that, I back up my system regularly.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my mouse is saddened by this news as I am too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks Steve..

I think I'm okay with using either the destop custom thing ( if that is on cs6.. I'm using cs3 now )...or the new item thing... have read a bit about cs versions higher than cs3 for past couple years..

Mostly trying to stay in touch with what doesnt work or what people have problems with..

I figured, if I could stay in touch it might save me time later.

I'm really glad to hear you say that cs6 is way more solid and better quality etc than earlier versions... and I don't have a camera to shoot avchd...thank goodness.

I sure hope I can do the mov h264 natively and get a good product out ...that would be really heavenly.

I pick up computer tomorrow and will be on my way to installation hell ...and update hell...not to mention dealing with all the new features I'll have , and then the new programs that come in the creative suite.

I'm probably gonna be up for days on end doing stuff ...and then a final defrag and then set up folders for source materials.. lots of work to do.

I'm a little scared about 2 things now...

1) I can't afford a battery backup now

2) I can't afford backup drives now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines