• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New project workflow, YUCH! just YUCH!

Contributor ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have tried to embrace the "new" project workflow paradigm. It really doesn't work for me.

In identifying why I hate to use it, I tried to filter out the number of little individual things that make it unpleasant and boil it down to a complaint.

It took something that worked, put it in an overdressed UI and convoluted a straight forward process.

PPro team, please quit assigning UI development to interns with the mandate to make it hip & cool, embrace all the new fads and use the "newest" trends.

YUCH!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post that here, where the Adobe engineers read all threads:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably not the smartest move to insult the people you want to listen to you...  but that said, I agree with you about the new project workflow...  However, it's not that big a deal to me...  How much time do you waste dealilng with it?  I basically just name the project and make sure it saves to my default location which is a local folder that is automatically mirrored on dropbox and then set the scratch disk settings to the appropriate media drive...  which I had to do before...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that many of us regular users will find that New Project setup usable for starting our projects. We were never expected to use it, in fact.

Like before ... type a project Name, select a Location, click Create. That's all you need do here, absolutely no different than before. Except the 'trip' across the screen to the Create button is a lot farther.

But it was built for certain very professional workflows. As I had explained to me at NAB. And no, (big eye roll), they WERE NOT thinking of YouTubers for this.

Think TV newsrooms. Editors come in, get assigned 8-15 'shorts' to get ready quickly for the evening news. Each is to have a 2:30, 1:00, and :30 second version. A senior staffer will decide at air time which gets used. (And there are thousands of users doing this daily around the planet.)

For each separate project, someone has already created a folder with the on-site shots, some audio, a talking head on the subject they found somewhere, maybe an archive clip or two.

This new page is ideal for that use. They type the subject Name, set Location, grab the right folder from the Favorites, Create. Bingo, a new project opens with all the media in place. Maybe they even use the option to have it all dropped on a sequence, perhaps doing a 'pancake' editing process to chop out the usable bits.

Am I ever going to need it? Doubtful.

I don't begrudge the thousands of other pros that do find a huge benefit from it though. It doesn't affect me, why should I be upset they got something useful?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huge Benefit? I'm not a "youTuber" and the scenario for news rooms really is nothing more than someone did the shot prep and you load it into the project. Putting a psuedo Bridge interface was unneeded. The insult was intended, because Adobe seems intent upon touting new UI paradigms that do not in fact enhance the workflow. For another example the web based help gets in the way of getting a quick, very specific answer to a program feature or control, the "old" PDF manual was far superior. Calling a feature pro, does not make it so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One of the major interesting parts for me in attending NAB or MAX or such things is getting talk with others about their workflows. It's amazing how diverse people handle doing almost the same overall tasks.

As far as I've ever seen, everyone does everything differently ... and yet, most people assume others do X the same way that they would. Which makes for some pretty intense floor discussions at events. I find that most fascinating.

And I've also learned to appreciate the wide diversity of how things are done. That any assumption on how to do X that I have, is probably not even thought about in remotely the same way by thousands of others.

So I've learned not to have such strong assumptions about "the one way PROPER pros work!" As it's going to be proven wrong in any group discussion. Yea, my opinions on other's workflows aren't assumed by me to be a concern to anyone but me.

Nor do our opinions on the workflow choices of others make it so. And in this specific case, they do have many people using the new interface in professional use. Yet you seem quite certain this is not the case, or perhaps that those people aren't as "professional" as you.

Just understand, the several thousand people using it probably think an attitude like yours is just offensive as all get out.

I'm not defending the new project start page. Simply explaining it. And even though at first I thought it was stupid, I learned that in this case I was the one with a stupid thought. And that for many people working their tush off editing, this saves them many minutes a day.

I'm not so egotistical not to admit when I'm out-thought. Or when I just didn't think of how this would work for someone with a very different workflow or set of needs than I.

No, I may well never use that 'page'. But I do understand that it is a boon to many other pros. And at that point, well ... it doesn't hurt me at all, so it's time to just move on.

I still do not see how giving that option to others has hurt you in any way, shape, or form. It hasn't changed the usability of the app for your workflow or mine, it's made it sweeter for others.

So the angst seems a bit ... odd.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines