• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Vector Paint" was removed from After Effects CS5

OK.  And how was that dealt with?  If you had a project that used it, what happened if you opened it in CS5 or later?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't dealt with it was just not available (like a missing plugin) and older projects who relied on it were broken in CS5. Well you could open the projects but all you did with vector pait was not available. but I don't want to discuss specific things here I just say it could happen as the past has proven.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually now that I think about it, weren't there some Blur effects also removed from PP?

Still, we dealt with the situation.  We found a new way to create the effect, or changed the effect.  We didn't go back to using the older version just to get that effect.  (At least, I never did.  Even though I really liked the Radial Blur.)

The point is, the older project did still open.  It didn't suddenly become unusable and absolutely require you to have the older version of the software to open it, right?  So...why be afraid of that now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, I think you guys are running on paranoia here, 'inventing' reasons to dislike the Cloud which, to my eye at least, have little basis for genuine concern.

You the same Jim that never used to have your editing rig connected to the internet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope.  It's always been connected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using After Effects as secondary compositing system for years (main being AVID DS, though, as it's slowly been dying for years, we are looking into alternatives). Eventually I even purchased a CS license for myself to doodle around with at home, although I really only needed Photoshop and After Effects.

Like others have already expressed I, too, am immensely disappointed about yesterdays announcement. The whole thing was a big kick in the teeth for me. I will NOT be moving to the cloud. The simple reason is, that I want to own the software I pay for. If Adobe can offer a way for CC users to opt-out of the membership, while keeping a working installation, it may be a valid course to take. But I'm not holding my breath and suppose, that Adobe will lose me and the company I work for, which was ironically just about to switch their editing suites from Media Composer to Premiere, as customers.

... thanks for all the fish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a link to Walter Biscardi talking about new features in Premiere Pro CC. Not a direct comment on the CC itself, but thought some folks would like to know anyway:

http://blogs.creativecow.net/blog/12706/my-adobe-premiere-pro-next-top-ten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Walter needs to cut down on the coffee. I feel like I need to import it into Premiere Pro and slow it down to watch it.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I foresee headaches for creatives at corporate jobs trying to convince higher ups that their software requires a subscription.  It's very difficult to get one occasional purchase through in the corporate world, let alone a purchase every month until the end of time.  It was tough enough in my own experience to get the company to pay for a new release every year and a half.  Not every creative producer is self-employed  and can only beg so much of the company before being a negative blip on some executive's radar.

Personally, I'm not totally opposed to the subscription idea (lower price or eventually owning the software would really help convince me).  There's certainly a middle ground to explore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack - "Personally, I'm not totally opposed to the subscription idea (lower price or eventually owning the software would really help convince me). "

If I could eventually own it I would be up in the clouds in a flash. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

Jack - "Personally, I'm not totally opposed to the subscription idea (lower price or eventually owning the software would really help convince me). "

If I could eventually own it I would be up in the clouds in a flash. 

That makes two of us.  Unfortunately it won't happen so on to better things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's 10Q statements make interesting reading. At AdobeMax Creative Cloud was presented to the creative community as a boon. In Q3 of 2012 is was a risk.  See the section on risks in "Part II: Other Information" in the following PDF.

http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/invrelations/pdfs/ADBE_10Q_Q312_FINAL_Certified.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page 42 :

This cloud strategy requires continued investment in product development and cloud operations, and may give rise to a number of risks, including the following:

• if new or current customers desire only perpetual licenses, our subscription sales may lag behind expectations;
  • although we continue to support our perpetual license business, the increased emphasis on a cloud strategy may raise concerns among our installed customer base;
  • we may be unsuccessful in maintaining our target pricing and new seat adoption;
  • our revenues are expected to decline over the short term and may decline over the long term as a result of this strategy;
  • our shift to a subscription licensing model may result in potential confusion among our customers, partners, resellers and investors;
  • our relationships with existing partners that resell perpetual licenses may be damaged; and
  • we may incur costs at a higher than forecasted rate as we expand our cloud operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in Adobe's most rcent 10Q (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/financials/drawFiling.asp?docKey=137-0000796343130...) the Company says:

"Subscription pricing allows customers to use our products at a lower initial cost when compared to the sale of a perpetual license. Although the subscription model is designed to increase the number of customers who purchase our products and services and create a recurring revenue stream that is more predictable, it creates certain risks related to the timing of revenue recognition and potential reductions in cash flows."

Note that phrase "lower initial cost"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I think Adobe's biggest misstep here is in the opportunity to finally rename Premiere Pro back to just Premiere. I think the "Pro" part should be self-apparent at this point. Like After Effects, which used to have a Standard and Professional version, Premiere Pro is just by itself now (and Premiere Elements is just fine as it is). So the chance to simply rename it "Premiere CC" appears to be lost.

I mean, everyone pretty much just refers to it as Premiere at this point, and the icon is simply "Pr" and not "PrPro"

I'm thinking of cancelling my Creative Cloud account over this greivous error!

(not really)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least this bombshell has got us talking about editing rather than hardware.  Take a look at the Hardware forum - not a single post for 22 hours.

Christian Jolly wrote:

FWIW, I think Adobe's biggest misstep here is in the opportunity to finally rename Premiere Pro back to just Premiere. I think the "Pro" part should be self-apparent at this point. Like After Effects, which used to have a Standard and Professional version, Premiere Pro is just by itself now (and Premiere Elements is just fine as it is). So the chance to simply rename it "Premiere CC" appears to be lost.

I mean, everyone pretty much just refers to it as Premiere at this point, and the icon is simply "Pr" and not "PrPro"

I'm thinking of cancelling my Creative Cloud account over this greivous error!

(not really)

The change to this high value subscription model makes it more "Pro" rather than less, in the sense that it is going to shut out amateurs like me, who cannot justify spending nearly £50 per month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is like you spend your whole life buying the cars you drive.  When the car is paid for, you can choose to drive it or park it.  Now you are being told that you can only lease the car, and no matter how long you make lease payments on it, if you stop making the lease payments, we will come and take the car.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about an Angry Hitler video to lighten things up a bit?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Iw9q2X9cU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're not a pro (remember who build the Titanic and who made the bomb, Heaven's Gate), but say an advanced amateur and want good editing software, where would one go?  I have paid for creative cloud for a year, the time is about up, and I might consider "renewing" if premiere CS6 even worked (for spanned clips).   The last "promise" was May 7.  Today is May 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rmartin215 wrote:

If you're not a pro (remember who build the Titanic and who made the bomb, Heaven's Gate), but say an advanced amateur and want good editing software, where would one go?  I have paid for creative cloud for a year, the time is about up, and I might consider "renewing" if premiere CS6 even worked (for spanned clips).   The last "promise" was May 7.  Today is May 8.

Avid Media composer,

Sony Vegas

Edius

FCPX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Avid of course. I worked on Media Composer for 5 years and Avid DS 10 years. Very solid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sucks. I really enjoy Premiere Pro and the CS5 suite. I'm a pseudo - hobbyist. I make family videos, but do a few commercial ones per year. I aslo regularyl use Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, After Effects, etc,

I'm on CS5.5 now. I normally upgrade every 5 -6 years to keep costs reasonable. So I was planning on waiting until CS7 or even CS8 to update.

What I dont' get: why doesn't Adobe just put a line in the sand on the CC product every so often and sell that as a boxed version upgrade, if the main complaint is supporting two different versions of the product. Just release features real-time to cloud customers. Every 18 months or so, package up all teh changes, and release a new CS release for purchase.

$600 a year is not small potatoes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Espeecially when you consider the fact that for the last decade+ I have upgraded yearly for about $360!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For good or ill, Adobe has bet its business on a subscription model. They are doing it to increase revenue, but don't take my word for it. Here's what the Adobe told the US Securities and Exchange Commission and investors in their March 2013 10Q statement:

"In May 2012, we launched Adobe Creative Suite 6 (“CS6”) which is at the center of Adobe Creative Cloud, our new subscription-based model for creating and publishing content and applications that was also released in May 2012. The launch of CS6 included major updates to all of our core Creative Suite (“CS”) point products as well as four suite versions. Late in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2012, we launched Creative Cloud for teams, a platform for teams and workgroups to access all applications and online services in the Creative Cloud. Over time, we expect Creative Cloud to transform our business model and drive higher revenue growth through an expansion of our customer base by acquiring new users through a lower cost of entry, as well as keeping existing customers current on our latest release. This model will drive our revenue to be more recurring and predictable since revenue is recognized ratably. We continue to implement strategies that will accelerate the adoption of our Creative Cloud subscription model, causing our traditional perpetual license revenue to decline. We currently plan to continue to offer the perpetual licensing model as we transition our customers to this new subscription-based model."   

"Rent" vs. "own" appears to be a settled question at this point, and as an issue it is really beside the point.   

The better and more important question is: can Adobe, even if they manage to "transition" their customers to the new model,  really manage their new business model. For the reasons Adobe itself points ot in the risk secion of 10Q, I am not pursuased that it will be easy, or, in the long run, that they can do it. The track record of large established businesses pulling off such a transformation is spotty at best.  If Adobe can do it, bully for Adobe. If they can't, well, there a lot of people who are going be annoyed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As me too, a company has to decide.

They have done.

Me too.

When I have a look to all corresponding forums I only can see deep disapointed long time users & Profs.

Refusal everywhere.

Most of the Pro-Clouds are Newcomers, Home-Users or people who didn´t think this model to it´s end.

(as Adobe planed, when I read your threat)

It´s not my problem if Adobe needs more Revenue.

With this short thought software distribution model I will not be "transitioned".

Nothing against the monthly or a yearly rate.

Nothing against the cloud - if optional (for the people who think they need that).

But a missing Buy-Out plan is absolutely unacceptable.

This cloud hype babble is only marketing.

There´s no need to change license model without that one "have to look good to investors & market".

There´s no "real"(good for users) cause for Adobe to do what they do now.

For the users nothing is better after that change (as revenue has to grow also the price...)

The spirit behind is simply "bind as many old customers and catch as many newcomers as possible"

Thas for market - not for customers (like me).

Adobe once was focused to customers - now to the Moneymakers.

That´s it.

I am in doubt if Adobe will establish this model.

I realy hope not.

Wrong decisions have to be punished.

(And I´m of the opinion that Adobe did a lot last years - There where so many useless, not wanted things developed, the help-systems is a disaster, the marketing is pumped up mor than extremely...)

Sounds strange - but I have to look for my intressts and needs.

Not for that guys who can´t get enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines