• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
Engaged ,
May 09, 2013 May 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No there is a difference in prices for a company, when they now, all their users don´t have a boxed/DVD-Version. And will not upgrade if they don´t make great changes.

A company which is not under pressure, delivering realy new advatages (sheep will pay this or that way) will not make mor updates. Look at the Monopol at MS. PPT 1997 = PPT 2013. As long as Adobe will have it´s standalone Situation, I don´t think they make more and better updates. Only if they in fear I would change. Best example 3D Apps: The Difference between versions is worlds. Because there is a competition.

Sure you have to follow the hardware requirements. If Adobe will decide them, you can stay in the cloud with an older version. But you ever have to pay for the neweset. Totaly different from the classic model. Where you can decide to stop upgrading if requirements change.

No you do not have the same freedom of choice, changing your software. Once you subscriped and created content, you have to stay - ellsewithe your software will get off duty. So if you decide to change your software but you will be able to open and print your old files you have to reactivate (only for a single print-out the whole month): In my case theres nearly not one day where I do not open a file which is 1-5 years old. Should I convert thousands of InDesign files to PDF before I unsubscripe? Youré invited to do that for me. So I Have to pay a few years twice to be able to use my archive. Don´t tell me and the others anything else. It´s true!

Shure I can go on subscriping after I get out of business. You are ignoring what I try to say. And you knoa exactly. In the classic model I can hold my software (decide to use no new features) and that´s it - without any costs. Without paying 100$ (EU) every month to use my own work! Adobe didn´t offer a buy-out plan and they exactly know why not.

I use Freehand also 12 years after it was kicked out from Adobe and replaced with illustrator. Can you imagine what I would have paid for this under Adobes so cool cloud license?

And again: I´m totaly sure you understand exactly what I said & you also know I´m totaly right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, let's try this scenario.

I have subscribed to CC for two years and then Adobe radically change the desktop so much so I and many others do not like it and we freeze downloading and installing the update.

We still have to continue paying subscription for as long as we edit.

Would this be fair?

After all we have paid many hundreds of bucks (or far more in pounds or Euros) to be able to use the software and for that much cash we could have bought Edius, Vegas, and HitFilm outright and own these three software packages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A company which is not under pressure, delivering realy new advatages will not make mor updates.

Now that is an irrational fear.  It's irrational because it entirely discounts the competition from other NLEs, the drive, creativity and desire of it's engineers to create a product they can be proud of, the desire of Adobe to attract new customers (as well as keep people subscribing), and presumes (incorrectly, in my view) that the only possible reason for these guys to work as hard as they do on new features is to get you to pay an upgrade fee.  If you can't see the irrationality in the fear, then we just don't have a common ground for communication.  I can only point out how silly it is for readers who do have their heads about them.

Sure you have to follow the hardware requirements.

You always have.  How is this changed?  (Upgrades are still optional with the Cloud, you know.)

No you do not have the same freedom of choice, changing your software.

You'll have to explain that better.  Why can't you move to different software if you want to?  Why can't you keep using the current boxed version if you want to?  Once you subscribe and create content, you still only have to stay as long as you wish to keep using that program.  Adobe already provides integration with Avid and FCP with AFF and XML exports, and that has even been improved with the new Premiere Pro CC.  The only choice that was taken away was the perpetual license, not the choice of which software is available to you.

In the classic model I can hold my software (decide to use no new features) and that´s it - without any costs.

Agreed, and if you just don't like that, fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updates:
Disagree. Adobe wasn´t ever very good with that (Have a look to 3D-Apps: there are worlds between the version because there is competition). Adobe knows exactly, that they are a kind of monopolists in a few fields. And I´m sure - the cloud model will not change the beaviour in a way that´s good for the customers.

Without that one that comes up in june and is made to fix as many as possible. But nothing in there without I can´t live.

Hardware:

What are you talking about? You don´t have - and you know exactly. With the classic, boxed model, you can stop upgrading. Pay no more and run your system as it is as long as you want.

Freedom of choice:
You are Adobe member or what? Once you subscripe and create content, you will use features, older versions didn´t have. So at the end you cann´t open your (new) files with your then older CS6 version. CC will go on to 7, 8, 9... You create 1000s of files. Then decide to quit. Now you standing in the rain, becuse you don´t have software to open your files. InDesign - for example - was never compatibel to the version before. So a CC 8 (?) File will not be opened (or opened the same way) with CS6. If I want to use/few/print my archive from the time between subscription and the end - i have to pay Adobe only for openeing my own work.

AND DON´T TELL ME OR OTHERS YOU DON´T UNDERSTAND!

And there is no written guaranty from Adobe that you will be able future CC files with the CS6 Master Collection.

Maybe you can open PSD as TIF. But in the case of AE, InDesign, Premiere and all the others I lose access to my files if I don´t pay and pay and pay...

Adobe promised the stack-holders to rise revenue - that´s the only thing why the cloud now is a must. There is no user cause out of users sight. Ans as long Adobe don´t offers a Buy-Out Plan this BS is a absoutely NoGo for me.

Please don´t tell me again, that my fears are irrational and that you not know what I mean.

I´m responsible for many, many customers projects. And I have often to use files which are very old.

I use Adobe SW for more than 20 Years now. Payed and updated my Master Collection ever (by the way: now I should pay the same price as someone who sold photoshop?). Liked your products in the past.

But this is the end of this history.

I hope Adobe DAX ist going on in the direction it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that guys which are happy with their "coooool" cloud are mor that people who will accept everything you put them in their feeding bowl

I don't see myself that way.  Adobe brought Edit Point Selection into CS6, which apparently a lot of people asked for.  But I HATE it.  I want it gone, or at least the option to turn it off, and I've been pretty vocal about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shane P wrote:

I do understand how the "Hobbyist" is going to be upset...and I feel for you...I really do. However I don't think Adobe makes such high end industry standard software with the "Hobbyist" who wants to edit videos of his/her son's baseball game in mind. These are professional tools. Most people using these tools are using them in a professional context to earn revenue. Everyone is freaking out over the move to the CC only option and the monthly subscription. WTF???

For the "Hobbyist", again, I don't see what the big deal is. I build models as a hobby and sometimes I will spend a couple hundred dolalrs a month on paint and other supplies. On average we are talking about a $50 USD (I am aware that the prices varies on international exchange rates) subscription per month - $12.50 per week - most of us spend more than that per week on a coffee and bagel from Dunkin' Donuts. C'Mon...

So $12.50 per week - maybe one hour/half hour of someone's hourly rate for access to the world's best photo, video and design tools? Really?

So if $12.50 per week is too expensive for a hobby...then you are not to serious about your hobby. There are plently of other free and paid solutions.

Sorry if this offends anyone but the complaining about $50 per month is getting comical.

Will they take your models away if you don't continue to pay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just stay with whatever licensed version of the software you have or buy CS6 outright...you can edit/design on that version of the software as long as you like...no one is forcing you into the cloud and to upgrade to the newest versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I don't think Adobe makes such high end industry standard software with the "Hobbyist" who wants to edit videos of his/her son's baseball game in mind.

That is the market Premiere Elements is aimed at... not as many features as PPro, but costs under $100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

That is the market Premiere Elements is aimed at... not as many features as PPro, but costs under $100

Precisely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Adobe really kills the regular license model of the Creative Suites and if they will not provide a CS7 they loose me as a paying customer.

I upgraded every Creative Suite Production Premium from CS1 to CS6 and for the price I payed, I now own that software but I will not buy into a software renting model like the creative cloud is!

Adobe should rethink their decision or they will loose a lot of customers.

There is not more to say about this totally stupid "money move" from Adobe.

Adobe I'm not stupid!

Everyone in the worrld knows that permanently renting a car (or software) is much more expensive then buying it once!

And if you stop renting the car (or software) you get nothing in the end for all your money. if you would have bought it you would own the car (or software) and could use it as long as it works.

My 2 cents = I'm angry!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understandably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not so sure it's fair to compare to internet and phone.  Those are services that are used daily... it's "pay as you go".  With software, you are buying a tool.  As your needs change, you can choose to buy a new tool, or continue to use the old one.

With this new plan, we are being held hostage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What Adobe are asking me to do is to commit to regular never ending "rental" of software that I'll never own, and they can take away from me and as time goes on keep hiking the price higher and higher.

I never thought I would say this but I guess it's time to switch to another company.  Damn...the new version looked promising.

I will not pay for something I cannot keep!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel very sad that after 2 years of helping make their products better ( thru beta testing CS6 & many feature requests) and being supportive and enthusiastic about their products on the web, they turn around and kick me in the teeth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

..being supportive and enthusiastic about their products on the web, they turn around and kick me in the teeth.

Ditto... except I felt the kick a bit lower than my teeth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! Good point, Joe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's happening to Adobe Encore. Has it been dropped or users will have access to CS6! If so will this be dynamically linked to the CC apps or Adobe assumes that the whole world needs to deliver online or in the clouds...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. I dont see Encoe offered on the Cloud. Not cool at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

Good point. I dont see Encoe offered on the Cloud. Not cool at all!

Yes it is... but you may need to search for the program... something about the installer not adding a program icon?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1188432?tstart=60 - click link in #3

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195839?tstart=30

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

srukweza wrote:

So what's happening to Adobe Encore. Has it been dropped or users will have access to CS6! If so will this be dynamically linked to the CC apps or Adobe assumes that the whole world needs to deliver online or in the clouds...

Encore is part of the Cloud... either with the full package, or it is still included if someone only subscribes to Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked my cloud options (yes I felt compelled to sign up while being nauseated at the same time) and I did not see the EN logo among the other apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

Encore is part of the Cloud... either with the full package, or it is still included if someone only subscribes to Premiere Pro

I just seen a DaveTechtable video which shows that it's not part of the Cloud but CC users will use CS6 instead! Check out the list of CC apps and you will notice that Encore has been excluded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check out the list of CC apps and you will notice that Encore has been excluded.

Even with CS6, Encore is part of the "Premiere Pro Family", not a separate app.  Same with Adobe Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a major failure of Adobe to understand their customers.  One of the things that greatly alienated FCP's pro user base is that Apple asked them to fundamentally change their way of working, not because it was in the user's best interest, but rather in the company's.  So although FCP wasn't "broken", Apple "fixed" it to align with its broader business plans, and then tried to sell its customer base on how much happier they'd be if they unlearned and re-learned how to edit.  Apple grossly overestimated their ability to change their customers behaviors.  Perhaps it's because in other markets, say, with iphone users, they'd been successful at this.  But professional editors proved to be a very different kind of customer, and we all saw how well that worked out for FCP.

It's remarkable that this is happening all over again so soon in this market.  Professional editors want to own their software.  Regardless of the pros and cons of the cloud, as this thread and many others to follow indicates, this is a deeply ingrained preference.  It wasn't broken; it needed no fixing.  It may not, however, align with Adobe's larger business plan, but no amount of logical selling is likely to change this deeply held emotional preference. 

So, with its roots still shallow in this market, many users will simply uproot and move on, with little pain and less emotional attachment than long term FCP users, for sure.  Ironically, Avid, a company I and many others left for dead, may actually enjoy a renaissance in this space.  I  hadn't cut on in in many years, but I found Premiere to be very similar, so it'll be easy to hop back.   I'm also going to start watching their shares, that's for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It wasn't broken; it needed no fixing.

Adobe didn't see it that way.

"With the traditional perpetual model, product updates had to happen on a certain cycle. If the Photoshop team wanted to push out a new feature or update, it had to stay on the same cadence as the updates for other apps in the suite. The product life cycle was roughly 18 months, which meant that it would take at least that long for new features to make their way to the final product.

That's fine for some applications but it meant that Adobe couldn't be on the cutting-edge with its support for the latest web standards and technologies. To fill in the gaps, Adobe introduced its Edge tools and services as as a way of giving users access to tools developed on a more agile basis.

What Adobe found with its Edge apps was that customers really liked getting new features in their apps more quickly. Adobe could roll out the updates to users automatically and add support for new standards and features outside of the confines of a standard product cycle."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines