• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

News on Premiere Next at Adobe Max

Advocate ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Join us today at our #AdobeMAX keynote, live at 9:30 a.m. PT with CEO Shantanu Narayen and SVP @DWadhwani: http://adobe.ly/AdobeNext

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 1857 Replies 1857
Engaged ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just opened a project I completed in Adobe Premiere Pro (version 1.0). I did so in CS6. Guess what? It popped up, stuff reconnected and it works great. I had some filters in the old project that I no longer own but I replaced them easily. But even that's not really an Adobe issue. It took me just minutes.

Guess what... try opening a project from CC into CS6 or CS5?  Not backward compatible.  Of course your old projects will open in newer versions.  That's not what I was talking about.  The problem with CC is eventually when you're sick of paying for it you can't edit your CC projects on old versions.  Guess what?  You're stuck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tclark513 wrote:

I just opened a project I completed in Adobe Premiere Pro (version 1.0). I did so in CS6. Guess what? It popped up, stuff reconnected and it works great. I had some filters in the old project that I no longer own but I replaced them easily. But even that's not really an Adobe issue. It took me just minutes.

Guess what... try opening a project from CC into CS6 or CS5?  Not backward compatible.  Of course your old projects will open in newer versions.  That's not what I was talking about.  The problem with CC is eventually when you're sick of paying for it you can't edit your CC projects on old versions.  Guess what?  You're stuck!

I just opened a project I created in Premiere Pro CS6 on one of my editors machines that is running CS5 (not 5.5, mind you). It opened fine. It asked to save it as a copy (because of the difference in versions) but it opened and everything was there.

For what it's worth, I cannot guess what you intend by a statement unless you actually state it. You said "Good luck when you need to make changes to a project you did with old versions you can't get any longer!" So I explained that yes, I can indeed make changes to a project I did with old versions I can't get any longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian, you are a force for sanity in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think "insanity" is the word the rest of us think is more appropriate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

Wow, that was an awfully blunt statement. I used to have a lot more respect for you. Apparently you don't know better than to not take out your frustrations on a fellow forum user. I would not have guessed this previously. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian Jolly wrote:

Apparently you don't know better than to not take out your frustrations on a fellow forum user. I would not have guessed this previously. Thanks.

I think in the absence of any Adobe employees to take the heat, we apologist, shill, cloudvacates are taking the brunt of the frustration. I wouldn't take it personally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we apologist, shill, cloudvacates...

FYI... I get a residual every time that term I coined

(see post 6) is used in this thread.

Keep at it... that's what's going to pay for my CC subscription!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's cool. Adobe gives me a free month for every positive thing I post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lasvideo wrote:

...for what it's worth, I'd welcome you to continue the debate on this matter specifically with reasons for what you believe, countering what I percieve. If you don't have anything of value or I have rendered some point of your's moot, it's quite alright to simply concede as much, or not bother reposting at all, but you really don't need to just poke fun for no reason. It makes you look bad and adds clutter to the discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mad Hatter: “Why is a raven like a writing-desk?”

“Have you guessed the riddle yet?” the Hatter said, turning to Alice again.

“No, I give it up,” Alice replied: “What’s the answer?”

“I haven’t the slightest idea,” said the Hatter”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some numbers to ponder.

Users posting to this thread who have expressed concerns: 22

lasvideo

Biggles Lamb

joe bloe premiere

John T Smith

Jason Van Patten

ExactImage

shooternz

Christopher Duncan

CAOLSEN

Kopy-Rite

W_J_T

Peter Wiley

Felix Dames

tclark513

srukweza

Matt J Kuhns

Luvfilm

7marcin

StormMarc

Alan Craven

matkeane

Undots

Users who have posted to this thread that have no concerns,

and / or are directly advocating the subscription model: 8

Christian Jolly

Fuzzy Barsik

Evil Edison

Nancy O.

Alex Gerulaitis

Jim Simon

Steven L. Gotz

Dave Merchant

Users who have expressed a hopeful sentiment: 6

Jeff Bellune

Stu S

Stan Jones

Bill Gehrke

KGCW

P_o_B

I apologize if I have misrepresented anyone's intent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that this represents a larger opinion.  People, by nature, are more inclined to race to an online forum when they have something to complain about than to cheer about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion...

I jumped to no conclusion... simply tallied the count without comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

I jumped to no conclusion... simply tallied the count without comment.

Further, were one so inclined, they could hunt around on other Adobe forums (and non-Adobe forums) to see the general reaction to the new licensing model.

jas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used Premiere for the best part of 20 years and will continue to do so but not the CC version. 

Adobe have a consistent track record of issuing releases with bugs, even more so for major upgrades have you guys forgotten that: -

Premiere 6.5 was the first version that offered real time playback of SD without the need for a third party card

Premiere Pro 1 had bugs galore

Premiere Pro 1.5 solved most of the problems

Premiere Pro 2 had many bugs

Premiere CS 3, worked great for me

Premiere CS 4 had bugs galore

Premiere CS 5 could not handle AVCHD correctly so I bought and used Edius 6 now that is a serious competitor

Premiere CS 5.5 handles my AVCHD files great

Premiere CS 6 has far to many issues being posted for me to ever consider upgrading to it

That is my take on Premiere for the last few years and why I miss versions which are just not up to scratch

So if automatic updates have bugs and screw up your system what are you going to do then?

I do not mind paying a subscription but lets get real with the cost and have it cheaper and the same throughout the world

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if automatic updates have bugs

I'm pretty well convinced there won't be automatic updates.  It states as much in both the published FAQ as well as the Creative Cloud Terms of Use.  And in a year of using the Cloud, all updates have been manually initiated by me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

-

Jeff Bellune

Stu S

Stan Jones

Bill Gehrke

KGCW

P_o_B

I apologize if I have misrepresented anyone's intent.

Apology accepted.  Hopeful only that they're sincere about continuing with bug fixes, off to Media Composer reather than the monthly shakedown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Here are some numbers to ponder.

Users posting to this thread who have expressed concerns: 22

Users who have posted to this thread that have no concerns,

and / or are directly advocating the subscription model: 8

I apologize if I have misrepresented anyone's sentiment.

Worth noting is that human tendency is to complain. Think of the number of times you've been out to dinner and thought "wow, good food, good service, plenty of available parking, amazing!" and made sure to write a letter, phone a call, or just stop and chat with the owners/operators on the way out. I'd bet the average percentage is quite low...maybe 1 out of 10 times you have a great experience, you go overboard telling someone about it. But probably close to 100% of the time (or 9 out of 10) when things go south (meal is wrong, staff is rude, bathroom is messy) you complain. Worse, our tendency to complain is really not limited to truly bad experiences, but just lack of perfection. I personally know some folks that will LOOK for problems and then nail someone to a wall about the smallest thing.

Sorry, long point, but it's this, that you will never have any trouble finding hoardes of people to complain about anything...whether it's just a small bad, big bad, terrible or massive failure is not relevant. Try to collect positive opinions, and unless you're giving away a free iPad or free gas for a year, it's kind of hard to hear good things. I am resolutely personally bound to optimism and encouragement whenever possible, so if it comes across as pie-in-the-sky, it's only because I refuse to be just another always-angry cynic in a world jam-packed full of them. I apply this attitude to Adobe, Microsoft, McDonalds and my obnoxious friends all equally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worth noting is that human tendency is to complain.

It's a bit cynical and dismissive to simply say:

"people are instinctively more inclined toward complaining"

Also, these folks are for the most part long-time and regular

Forum members and contributors... not people "racing to the Forum"

with the only intent of hearing themselves rant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Maybe a little cynical but it's kind of true.  People are more likely to complain about a bad restaurant meal than to compliment the chef for a good one.  Human nature.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain.  Personally, I'm a little surprised that Adobe made this decision.  I just don't share your level of alarm nor do I think forums are necessarily an accurate way to guage a general reaction.  Obviously, time will tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just don't share your level of alarm...

I think resigned disappointment is a better description.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evil Edison wrote:

joe bloe premiere wrote:

Maybe a little cynical but it's kind of true.  People are more likely to complain about a bad restaurant meal than to compliment the chef for a good one.  Human nature.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you don't have a right to complain.  Personally, I'm a little surprised that Adobe made this decision.  I just don't share your level of alarm nor do I think forums are necessarily an accurate way to guage a general reaction.  Obviously, time will tell.

I guess I should also say that I too am surprised Adobe just completely cut off the perpetual licensing, but I was expecting that maybe next year instead.

I'm not an early adopter type person...I was pretty late to the game acquiring a smart phone, I still don't use tablets, and my home TV was only last year swapped out for an HDTV. But I jumped on the Creative Cloud last year because I knew it worked for me both financially and feature wise. But I do this for a living - every single day, and sometimes it feels more often than that - so it's just an embedded cost that's really no different to me than what it used to be, just more manageable now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You didn't get an HDTV until last year???  Gasp!  Not sure I can take anything you say seriously from now on, Christian

In my case, I personally owned the CS5 Master Collection and chose to go with Creative Cloud instead of paying $1300 for an upgrade.  I look at it this way--wherever I work I will likely be using Adobe and I will always want the latest and greatest.  Plus, I'd rather pay a small monthly fee than a big chunk all at once.  I do get what people are saying though.  If you don't use all or most of Master Collection it isn't as good a deal.  Maybe Adobe needs to dream up a few more creative options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Evil Edison wrote:

You didn't get an HDTV until last year???  Gasp!  Not sure I can take anything you say seriously from now on, Christian

In my case, I personally owned the CS5 Master Collection and chose to go with Creative Cloud instead of paying $1300 for an upgrade.  I look at it this way--wherever I work I will likely be using Adobe and I will always want the latest and greatest.  Plus, I'd rather pay a small monthly fee than a big chunk all at once.  I do get what people are saying though.  If you don't use all or most of Master Collection it isn't as good a deal.  Maybe Adobe needs to dream up a few more creative options.

An HDTV for the house/living room....the studio had some really expensive HDTV stuff.

All the HDTV options were either cheap garbage or overpriced. For my everyday entertainment, I just wanted a good screen that did a lot and didn't cost a lot. Last year that happened, when LG released a 47" LED SmartTV with very good 3D (passive) and a low price tag (it was an $1,800 screen, but we actually got it for closer to $700 because of some instant promotion thing). It's an amazing TV, no sacrifices, no overpricing, just awesome entertainment.

Erm....anyway....yeah, I always wanted the Master Collection because I still was paying extra for Dreamweaver and Acrobat sidecars to my Production Premium (it was cheaper for that setup than going full-blown Master Collection). The Creative Cloud took the financial question out of consideration in that way.

You know, I also believe they need more a-la-carte choices, like build a bundle...3 or more apps, you get 30% off your monthly subscription, so Premiere Pro, Photoshop and After Effects would be more like $40 a month, still less than $50, and give the user all they really need. But maybe in time. Right now it's simpler to just say there's only the 1 thing I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Christian Jolly wrote:

An HDTV for the house/living room....the studio had some really expensive HDTV stuff.

I was pretty sure you were talking about your personal set    Not to be a shill for HDTVs but I got suckered in from the start.  I think I'm on my fourth one already. Wish Best Buy would lease them to me but unfortunately I had to buy them all outright. 

A-la-carte would definitely help quell the anxiety.  Seriously, if people in our market are upset, imagine how the guys doing desktop or web are feeling?  Getting saddled with AE, Premiere, Prelude, Speedgrade!  I think it's easier to imagine us using apps for their segment than the other way around.  I doubt that Adobe will bend on the perp licenses but hopefully the CC pricing model will evolve along with the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines