Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Oracle...Team Emirates NZ

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.K

Who is supporting who ....come Americas Cup Racing ..starts in 2 days.

Go Kiwis!

Team NZ.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 399 Replies 399
Guide ,
Sep 26, 2013 Sep 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a crazy idea.. but there must be a way to get a server thats got a really fast connection and can get set up to deliver video in all its permutations to the gazillion browsers and gadgets out there...and play around with putting little videos together as a 'group'...

Just for the fun of it, but everyone would probably learn something from the process... and learn to work with others where the adobe products are used in a cool way.. ???

Like, maybe everyone decides to so something at 720p at  x FPS ...and then shoots a clip of about 30 secs.

have a simple script.. like

sc 1 ext day

Man goes into door of small building

sc 2 int

man looks around room just inside door

sc 3 int

pov

man sees HUGE ROOM full of people

( the fact that its a different man, and the room is WAY too big for the building entered, will add to the humor of the thing... )

each person shoots one sc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See, if I had won, the next America's Cup would involve vessels from the Lipton (tea trade) era, and the crews would have to talk like a pirate... harkening back to the "good old days."

The venue would be the Isle of Wight, to provide emphasis on the history of the competition. Not sure that we could get Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth to be the Official Starter, but I'll bet that at least one member of the Royal Family could be recruited to act in that capacity.

Obviously, we would have to do away with that 40' time limit, as the vessels would be much slower, albeit much more majestic. Just think, if that time limit had been 45', the ETNZ would have won the regatta.

Since we will be doing a tribute to Snuff the Seal, we probably need to get the folk at Pixar involved, as there is little footage of Snuffy, as a pup. As a matter of fact, unless we can locate some old S-8 footage, and have it telecined, we probably only have the footage of the last few moments of his life available - animation will be the way to go. I think that Fuzzy should be the coordinator here.

I nominate Biggles to do all of the historic and geographic background footage, on and around the Isle of Wight. He can bring an insight, that few of us "Yanks" can ever hope for. Also, he can be the liaison with the Royal Family, and provide translation to/from UK English and US English, where required.

That would be a great, and multi-national production team, if there ever was one. Kevin can be our Lead Editor, and Adobe software will be prominently featured on our AC Web site. We just have to promise that we can secure a seat for him, right at the start and then finish - he is owed this, after giving up his lunch hour, and not getting close to the action.

If nothing else, this Reply has helped me work on the speed of my typing... Getting better, but far to go. Maybe if there were fewer commas used, I would be quicker?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rodney,

( the fact that its a different man, and the room is WAY too big for the building entered, will add to the humor of the thing... )

I think that Joe Bloe has the ideal location for the exterior - Prada Marfa! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prada_Marfa

For the interior shot, we could probably rent the NASA Michoud property, as it is not being used so much anymore. http://www.nasa.gov/centers/marshall/michoud/index.html#.UkRThtLMB8E

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

those ideas are better than mine... I was thinking a porta potty for the ext....and once that door closes behind the person the next shot is int of tavern on the green... with all those windows facing the park...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that works too!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, seeing you guys do not care for my idea about the boat, how about the next America's cup boat being designed by...............Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May,.......... aka the Top Gear guys

Now that would be a boat and a half, or would it just be half a boat, or a Chevvy Impala with a mast and sail

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. Col....we dont know that the boats that competed can't reach speeds equal to cigarette boats ...cause they had 24 knot wind limit or something for the races...

In a stronger wind they might beat the heck out of anything the top gear guys can put together for the water !

hehe...time will tell...I bet they increase that limit on wind a few knots in the next race...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles,

That is an idea that I had not thought of - Excellent!

If nothing else, the craft would be innovative, and most of all FUN. I could see them built around old Vauxhall frames (maybe from the early 70's?, with sails made from wash, stolen from near-by yards... For those who do not know of Vauxhalls, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Motors#1945_to_1970 Skip the later models, as we would probably want some of the old-timers.

Also, talk about commentary, that would be worth the price of admission, alone. Interviews with the participants, will irreverent as heck, would be kicks.

Let's make this happen,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is the tea trade we are after, and knowing the proclivity of sailors to drink, I am thinking that the races should involve the rum route too.

To heck with these short races. Put them to a real test. Boston to Barbados to Africa and return.

Or at least run the races in the Caribbean so we would all have an excuse to take a nice vacation, spend a week in a nice Timeshare or hotel suite and really have some fun before and after the races.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod,

That sounds like fun. I'm in. You organize it and we'll play along.

What a shame you guys are so anti CC, the sharing capabilities would really help.

In any case, if we all shoot it, will you edit it on the Pig?

Each contributor shoots a person emerging from a door all the way to the next door. Nobody shares what they are doing and when you put it all together we are all surprised. Sounds like a lot of fun.

We keep it to a minute of video per contribution, at most, so the files you have to download remain relatively small. Or we send you a data DVD with up to 4GB on it.

While it would be a different person each time, we could agree on the way they would be dressed. Let's say blue jeans and white short sleeve shirt for example.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, that "Rum Route" could add a whole new dimension to the Cup. Now, there is probably some group, such as MADS (Matadors Against Drunk Sailing), that would boycott, but we can deal with that.

The concept of an "ocean race," has been going on for some time. The problem has been that the coverage will always be lacking. Now, some reporter on one of the committee boats, might get some camera phone footage up, but for the most part, the general public is out of it.

Even in the local papers, in yachting communities, I never recall seeing mention of the Isla Mujeres races: http://www.regatadelsolalsol.org/

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, for that matter, even the amer cup had NO COVERAGE in the USA ....if it wasnt for your play by play Bill.. I woulda had no idea what was going on during those races !

luckily you stepped up to the plate and filled me in...

Steve.. write a script that is loose and fun and that everyone can contribute to.. and lets do it !

would be fun.. and I can use adobe cs6 just as well as you can use CC... mix it up ...should work fine...give adobe a boost ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the immediate problem is setting 'standards' for dim and frame rate and an eye toward final product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 27, 2013 Sep 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My local sailing club which was situared adjacent to a river estuary used to hold a pint to pint race.

Down a pint in the club house, set sail up the tidal river inland to a pub about three miles away, down another pint and back down to the club house to sink another pint.

Last team back picks up the beer tab.

It was all dead serious with a handicap system in place and timecards to stamp at each way point, the evening degenerated somewhat when all had returned

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a great way to spend a day!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"What do you do with a drunken sailor?" See International Talk Like a Pirate Day link above for the full (or partially full?) song, performed by various "wenches," and "pirates."

Does sound like fun!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hehe.. that musta been fun to watch... guys rushing around chugging pints and back to boat and racing ...maniacs....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a scene from last year's race: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDofjYb3hxU

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the Committee Boat had issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjf2n0imF9M

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a friend out sailing one day out of city island... rented a 25' merit for the day..( at a mooring, no motor on boat ). He brought a friend, another guy. They arrived with this HUGE cooler full of ice and beer.  LOL...

They never sailed before.

Soooo, I figure I can handle the boat alone and we go out...and sail around the LI Sound for the day... throw out the anchor someplace and eat lunch ( I ate sandwich, they drank more beers )... and eventually we sail back to mooring. I manage to hit the mooring under sail and take down the sails and so on... and someone from marina comes to pick us up in a skiff...

As we are getting into our cars to go home my friend says to me, " That was kinda fun, but NEXT TIME LETS GO SOMEWHERE ".

He missed out on the whole point of sailing for the day.. not a clue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That guy was Haddon Hufford, a fellow grip at the time, now a famous silversmith in Montana. He quit drinking but was a lot nicer when he drank it turns out.. cause now he is a warthog.

Haddon-Hufford.jpg

I took that shot for his website before he became a warthog.

Another day I took some people out sailing , same deal.. same type boat etc.. , with another fellow grip and 2 chics I think...4 of us.

Same thing.. nobody knew how to sail. The grip guy was late getting there but made it. He had not slept the entire night before cause he was coming straight from an after hours club in NYC to the marina...and was totally WRECKED.... like really really wrecked.  LOL....

So we go out and sometime around 1pm the wind dies on the LI Sound. We got no motor. We sit there in the swells....bobbing around, the main sail and jib just totally dead.. really hot ...sun is blaring...stuck in the middle of the LI Sound ....luckily not near main channel with barge traffic etc.

My grip friend, lying on the floor of the cockpit like a dead mackerel moans, " CAN WE GO TO A NICE AIR CONDITIONED RESTAURANT NOW ???? "

hehe.. one of the funniest things I ever heard someone say..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

merit 25 is a cute little day sailing type thing.. you can stretch it out.. like going "camping"...stay along shoreline and go for a week or so...and can put a little outboard on the stern...to get to marina docks etc...

2 people ( preferably in love ) would be best IMO.....as the 'cabin' is kinda like very intimate if you know what I mean...

you can also get a little potty thing and make it work ...is kinda fun if you live in area where there's tons of harbors and safe ports etc...

city island to block island to nantucket is do able...and back.. week or so...  kinda favor north shore or CT.. whatever...

merit copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

once you go beyond approx this " size" boat.. ( shooternz, correct me if I'm wrong )... the rigging changes ....pretty much you go from 3/8" sheets to 1/2" sheets.. the standing rigging changes upward, the winches , everything gets WAY bigger.. and more hefty.. and therefore more expensive... so IMO you might as well go to about 40 feet once you go beyond this size....

You can still rig it to single hand sail it...no problem... but now you might wanna to a self furling jib and get a bit fancier....( auto pilot, nav stuff, will have inboard engine, etc ).

boy, in a way I would love to have a 40 foot sloop... but then again.. Im too old for that stuff now...and like to stay home mostly....

go figure...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not familiar with the Merit, but friend had a similar craft on Lake Pontchartrain. The cabin area would sleep four, and it could be sailed by one. Do not remember the make now? Unfortunately, he and a first-date were on the Lake, when a Summer Storm hit - quick and bad! He went onto the rocks, and was thrown overboard. Date was still in boat. He swam to shore, and got some help. After the boat beached, date climbed over the rocks to shore. He was able to salvage boat, but date never spoke to him again. Last I heard, he had moved boat to some lake near Dallas.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ps...

dont be fooled.. you cannot stand up in that merit cabin...and your sail bags will be in that fore area...plus anchor rode and so on...you really only have the sides to scurry around in comfortably... if you wanna take a nap, sleep etc...

is fast though.. points into wind very well... close hauled is tight to wind...and is very stable in high wind re: keel weight .. is safe...

I like it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines