• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere 2020 (v14) can no longer access compatible updates on Mac OS High Sierra 10.13

Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Premiere 2021 has now been released, Premiere 2020 can no longer be updated at all on Mac OS High Sierra - even updates for 14.x that are compatible with High Sierra.

Premiere 2020 14.0 was originally compatible with Mac OS High Sierra 10.13. Later updates for Premiere 2020, up to at least 14.5, continued to be compatible with High Sierra. But during the lifespan of Premiere 2020, apparently Adobe changed the OS requirements, so according to the current release notes versions of Premiere 2020 released after 01/01/2021 now apparently require Mac OS Mojave 10.14. It looks like the December 2020 version 14.7 should still be High Sierra compatible since it was released prior to that date, but I can't be sure.

This seems to have now cut off High Sierra users from getting ANY updates to Premiere 2020. For example if you have Premiere 14.0 and want to update to Premiere 14.5 on High Sierra, you cannot do so through the usual means of updating through Creative Cloud. On High Sierra, Creative Cloud shows the new version (currently 15.1) as Not Compatible, and when I click on Other Versions to download an updated version of Premiere 14.x, I am given no options. 

I assume this is because of Adobe's policy after the major new version release of Premiere 2021, they now only offer the final version of the previous 2020 release - v14.9. But since 14.9 is now incompatible with High Sierra, apparently this means High Sierra users are now completely unable to access any version of Premiere 2020 through the Creative Cloud app.

The attached screenshot shows my Creative Cloud app under High Sierra with Premiere 14.3 installed, and how I'm shown no options to update Premiere past 14.3 to a compatible version like 14.5 or 14.7. 

Adobe, please allow High Sierra users to update their Premiere 2020 to a later compatible version of Premiere 2020 within the Creative Cloud app. I'm working with an editor right now on a feature documentary, who has an older iMac that can't be updated to Mojave. She's finding some bugs crop up in our project, but I can't ask her to update her Premiere because that will no longer work. There are lots of older Macs like this that were capable of using Premiere 2020 on High Sierra, that are now orphaned from updates they could be getting. How crazy is it that we now have no access to Premiere updates that were just released four months ago!? Many editors tend not to update their NLE software if they are in the middle of a film project for fear of breaking something. Now anyone in this position who didn't download a Premiere 2020 update before the end of the year, can never download them? That does not make sense.

As a workaround, I found that by contacting Adobe Support they were able to provide me a download link to a full (trial) installer of Premiere 14.5. So if you're in this boat, you should be able to ask support for a 14.5 download link at least. At least I was able to update my 14.3 to 14.5, although I do wish for 14.6 or 14.7 if those were High Sierra compatible too.

I assume this was an oversight because Adobe is no longer testing on High Sierra, but I hope it is corrected.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 5.37.39 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that the Premiere 14.5 download link from Adobe Support did NOT include Media Encoder. So be sure to ask for a link for Media Encoder 14.5 as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also in a similar issue where I'm trying to get Premiere 13.1.9 since the agency that I will be working at is cutting on that version at the moment. 

There has to be a place to download these updates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this helps your situation, but if you just need any version of Premiere 2019, you can download 13.0 using these links to CC 2019 installers: https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2019-direct-download-links.html

I don't know the possibility of upgrading Premiere 13.0 to 13.1.9 within the Creative Cloud app at this point. Adobe Support may be able to provide you a download for a more recent version of Premiere 2019 if you contact them. https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Unfortunately links like these to CC 2020 installers do not seem to be available. And if they installed 14.0, High Sierra users would not be able to update them to later versions of Premiere 2020 within the Creative Cloud app.

I'd suggest the simplest solution would be for Adobe to offer the last High Sierra-compatible version of Premiere 2020 (14.5?) within the Creative Cloud app as one of the Older Versions that can be installed. That way editors who started using Premiere 2020 on High Sierra when that was a supported OS, can at least access the final compatible version for their OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you contact support they will provide you with a download link for 14.0 or 14.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Daniel,

If you are trying to reach the creators of Premiere Pro, you should probably file your post over on User Voice. This is largely a user to user forum for support purposes. This post is probably be better suited for the Video Lounge. I'll move it.

That said, I will gladly upvote and advocate a request for this on User Voice.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines