Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution that will save you hours of run-around, and potential days of redos

[link removed by moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve is a solid and full-featured option, but I'm pretty happy being able to quickly move between Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Media Encoder, and Audition not to mention access the entire collection of Adobe Type.  What's also very impressive with Adobe is being able to work with ProRes on Windows for both import and export.

That said, depending on one's workflow and delivery needs, the Adobe Photoshop plan paired with Resolve can make a cost-effective solution for video graphics and video post-production.

It's probably worth mentioning that issues one runs into on the Resolve side are not unlike the ones that one might run into on the Premiere Pro side.  A quick visit to the Blackmagic support forum shows issues with file formats, system configuration, display drivers, storage media, so forth, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of these video post apps are tools. Just tools. Fancy hammers.

Use whichever one works best for your gear, media, and client needs.

Like Warren, I work in both PrPro and Resolve. I love the UI in PrPro, intensely dislike the UI in Resolve. I've got good and highly respected friends on the other side of that fence. We look at each other, smile and shake our heads.

Because everyone's mileage always varies.

I love the adaptability of PrPro, and dislike the non-adaptability of Resolve. Including how all control surfaces are locked down by the Resolve engineers. No matter if it's a Tangent panel or BlackMagic panel, the user has no ability to change the mapping of the app to the panel in any way, shape, or form. And they keep the Elements panel locked to half the controls doing nothing at any one time, and have a bizarre navigation process from control to control.

Resolve has wondrously deep controls for color including the ability to set keys for nearly all tools and to copy grades clip to clip easily. Which SpeedGrade, the sadly dead Adobe app could also do. And Lumetri ... can't really.

I can do a lot of things in Lumetri in PrPro that many don't think you can, and do them quickly and productively. Up to a certain point, of course. Sadly.

I can do a lot more things in color in Lumetri even into subtractive sat ... but getting really extensive work done to a clip takes techniques that simply cannot be easily copied clip to clip. Most ... unfortunate.

And yes, the engineers have heard and seen my views on this ... in detail. There's actually a fair amount of sympathy there. And some comments that they are trying to get more user controls in color into the app. Maybe ... someday ... we'll be back close to what SpeedGrade could do back in 2015. Sigh.

But still, for nearly everything I need, I can work in PrPro for color and get what I need done quickly. Partly due to that marvelous Tangent Elements panel, which also now can do audio track volumes/pans, resizing & rotating of image/graphic elements, and many more things.

So for me, for general work, I prefer the Adobe apps. If I needed to do a ton of deep, precise color, yea I'd be over in Resolve immediately. Again ... they're tools. Fancy hammers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines