Exit

Uploading vs. Ingesting vs. Importing: Editing Nomenclature

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how did you upload them to computer

Et tu, Neil?

Upload means to transfer from a local computer to a remote computer over a network, such as the Internet.

One copies the files to hard drives, then Imports them into Premiere Pro.  Uploading is not a normal part of the pre-edit process.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just given the actual files, can't say what camera they originated from.  I have imported from an external drive. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had it explained to me several ways ....

1. "uploading" is a directional thing ... upload from card ... to computer ... to network ... to internet. Download from Internet ... to network ... to computer ... to card.
  2. "it don't make any difference, don't correct me, you know what I meant ... arse ... "
  3. your understanding.

So ... I've tried to find definitive terminology stats/definitions, and well ... couldn't.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2019 Mar 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a pet peeve is all.  If a network and more than arm's reach distance aren't involved, it's neither up nor downloading.  It's just copying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How bout Import vs. Ingest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that Ingest refers to Importing from tape-based formats.  It's a multi-step process that copies, possibly converts, and them imports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thanks for the input.  However, it doesn't really address this.  I have now cleared the files from Premiere and imported the MXF files again to see exactly what the error message is and it states

"Unsupported format or damaged file"

Can anyone advise me on converting the files if this is what needs to be done, maybe to H.264 or whatever it needs

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines