Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WE DO NOT WANT NEW FUNCTIONS, WE WANT PREMIERE FIXED

Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

For a couple of years now, me and thousands of people from around the globe are reporting issue after issue, bug after bug.  Still some bugs are there for a couple of years now and do not seem to get fixed.

I am not waiting for all these new functions you are adding all the time.  We are all waiting for the existing issues to be fixed.

If I would not have to use After Effects, I would already have made the switch.  So, a lot of people like me, are very desperate.  We all pay every month, for software that crashes at least a couple of times a day.  It makes me wonder if you even use the software at Adobe, cause you would have the same frustrations, no?

So, again, please fix these issues because when you keep adding more new features, just more new problems are appearing.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally understand the wish to rant ... I've posted some epic ones here myself. That said, a post like this doesn't actually accomplish much for a couple reasons.

First, this isn't the forum to communicate with the developers and the even-more-important M&E people up above the developers ... that's their Premiere Pro UserVoice site. Which does get manually logged into their system by a dev, and all posts are collated/sent up to the M&E people who set budgets & directions.

Second ... there's no specifics as to what is breaking on your system. Without knowledge of what troubles you're having, no one can do squat to fix anything. And among the apparently million or so numbers of folks with Pr licenses, many are working quite well at this time. And some, like you, are getting squat.

So it's not like everyone is having the same issues you're having. And the issues that are happening vary widely by user, OS, media, gear, all sorts of things.

This forum is great for getting people working again based on the wide array of knowledgeable users like myself and many others that 'haunt' this place. And is often better than going to Adobe's "help" systems to get users working again.

So post in excruciating detail the information on your system, the media/effects used, and the problems you're having. "We" just might make your life a lot nicer ...

And btw, I work daily in both Pr & Resolve. I also teach pro colorists how to color in Pr when they can't for whatever reason with a project in Resolve or Baselight. And ... BlackMagic has gone down the same path as Adobe, in trying to fulfill all needs of all users on all systems with all media/effects/workflows.

And as someone who's on several BM and other Resolve-based forums, the same types of issues pop up over "there" also. I think it's part of trying to be the end-all of end-alls.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am totally with you. Adobe Premiere has become a real nightmare since version 22.0. In our projects we edit with up to 35 tracks and edits with cuts not being removed but disabled. After a while of editing the program needs up to 30 seconds to react to a simple mouse click. It's absolutely unuseable for us and destroys any productivity. This is on all our systems with 64GB RAM RYZEN 3900X RTX20/30 cards. The CPU and GPU usage is less than 10% even during the wait for a response. You can see in the history that the time is needed to update the history. The more entries the slower. But you can't even set the history to 1-3 undo steps or just disable it.

I have attached a file, which shows how video editing with Adobe Premiere looks like in 2022. Yes you can see there is a ton of small clips, but the program should be able to handle this. And you know what ? It did, the versions from 2021 worked much better than current versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the Production mode? Again, that's designed to work with the larger projects that bog down with the old single project workflows.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Production mode is mainly designed for shared projects and a better workflow if more people are working on different parts of a production. But that is even more complex in terms of memory and CPU management to be handled by the software and does not solve the simple issue that a single sequence with many cuts can destroy any workflow on a single machine. This is a core problem of the program itself and it's bad software development to be honest. I am doing video editing for 25 years now and being a software developer more than 40 years i think i can have a clou what is the issue here. Sorry for being on a rant now, but our production came to a halt recently just because of those projects not working anymore. And that cost us a lot of money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your estimation of the uses of the Production mode is perhaps self-limited ... ?

I'm a one-man shop, and it has been a wondrous improvement in my workflows. I cannot imaging going back to the old style single project files. EVER. For anything.

I build a rather full folder structure within each year's Production with several different full trees, have folders with projects for different clients/purposes, folder trees for project assets like my sound library/b-roll/template parts & such.

I grab things from every place in the Production for any current job I'm working on. Never had a slowdown or glitch with it.

Plus I've had both online and in-person discussions with the developers of this and with David Helmly and Karl Soule who work with the large Hollywood-type productions this was originally built for. And yes, they all stress that this is a far simpler load for the computer with up to incredibly complex projects.

So ... for something that might be like yours, build your folder structure within the Production panel for media in one folder, sequences/working projects in another.

Import the media into different projects depending on perhaps the day of the shoot, or the camera used, whatever is useful.

Then grab the clips from the bins in those projects to use on your sequence projects.

Your total load on the computer is less ... seriously so.

If you're running a single project file with a couple hundred clips, 2-3 hundred sound files, FX plates, and sequences all in ONE project file, every metadata bit of every asset is loaded into RAM/cache as the project launches.

With a Production, it only loads that currently active project into RAM/cache. With any clips actually in use.

Not the whole blasted thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a total different usecase. If we do music videos we have about 30 clips from that specific shoot and a couple of more assets like audio files and some additional footage. All these clips need to be in the working project at once, but nothing more. There is almost zero overhead in additional assets we have in our projects, which need to be shared with any other project. And if the project is finished the video files will be removed from the working discs, because they are all in our archive with their unique ID number.

What is left is about 20-30Gbyte of files incl. all project versions, final exports etc., that will most likely never be used again. But we have the option to re-edit every single one of of them by simply adding the assets from our archive to the video folder, we have cleared after finishing the final edit. The issue we have is that we edit music videos and need to keep the cuts we did not use in the 1st place, bus just disabled. If we then need to change cuts we can simply de/activate the cuts.

But this results in a rather large amount of single cuts in once sequence, which are also part of a sub-sequence, because we have a Sync sequenz, which includes all tracks synchronised first and then create a multicam sequence for the final edit. This workflow is very effective in terms of later changes, e.g. color correction on whole tracks etc.

The problem is, that we have less issues with Premiere Pro Versions from 2021. We could edit with the same method last year and if we open those projects now, they are almost uneditable anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see how your project is setup as needed, great explanation! One of the most fascinating things about going to something like NAB is simply walking the aisles and listening to the amazing array of workflows and processes used.

No two editors work alike, but even the needs of so many uses dictate processes that are very unique to that needed result. Endlessly interesting to me.

From the discussions I've had with engineers over Productions, you have enough assets (and yes, even a sequence or multicam is a separate asset), that even though it's not "long-form" the Productions mode might help lower the stress on your machine.

That sequence ... with all the diasbled cuts besides all the in-use ones? ... that is a lot of meta right there. Not counting the files it's linked to.

So having the media assets in one folder and project structure, and the sequences in perhaps several projects individually, still might get you some easier processing.

As a suggestion.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your input, it's really interesting indeed. To give some additional explanation about the structure, which is really simple, to be honest. We do have about 30 video files in one folder and the project has usually one Sync Sequence and one Edit Sequence, where we use the Sync Sequence as multicam. Sometimes another Export sequence for the final post production effects or credits. That isn't even very complex if you compare this to a movie, which has hundreds of takes and files to process.

This allows us to do all synchronisation with audio and color correction in the Sync sequenz, so the edit sequence will only include the raw cuts and the effects we need for that specific clip. Neither CPU, GPU or even memory is anywhere near to be overloaded. We have 64GB of RAM and usually between 20 and 30 Gbyte are used. GPU Load is minimal and CPU is usually at 5-10%.

During the procedure of editing like i did in my demo video not a single number goes up. The software just waits an eternity to come back after i clicked with the mouse and adjusted the position of a cut or tracks. This is the same behaviour on all of our machines, which have a simular configuration. So no performance is used from the PC, it's just the internal management of that many cuts and creating the UNDO/REDO Buffers. But the fact, that the PC power is more than enough to handle this, is an indication of bad programming.

I may try to save one of the project files and test this one out with all assets being offline and not effects installed. I would suggest this will be as slow as with all the files actually online, because the number of cuts the program needs to handle is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here is a clip how video editing works in 2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines