• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's everyone working on at the moment?

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am cutting a 30 second healthy option lite bread TVC . Shot yesterday.

..and a 15 second cut down of the same.

And a 15 second cut down of a 30 second  cycle TV I produced 2  months ago.

Also In preprod for 2 garden product TVCs. (live shoot plus 2 &  3D animation)

Fixing my out-of-phase Wang Banger.

Wasting time and procrastinating on the Adobe Forums

Its raining and cold outside!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 138 Replies 138
Guide ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

keeping up with Bill's traveling has been difficult and a new non-profit has come up with the idea of putting a small camera on Bill's head...to update live where he is at any given time...

This POV is from a large bird Bill is using as a local " jump" between large airports...

billFying.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sample of dna sequencing for strange " migratory " behaviour of Bill....

BillsSequence copy.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

updated gene sequencing....

BillsSequence+copy2.jpg

Soon to be updated ....and the supercomputer with CUDA technology ( see list of approved cards ).. is working non stop to get this up to date !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

black cloth ....easy and simple and you can stuff it into camera bag when not needed....

blackCloth.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh well.. bad news....

my documentary is a dead duck.

Since you've been following this for over a year...on and off...I feel obliged to be specific...

I finally got the historical society to vote ( board meeting ) to give me access for free to their images etc.. in this little town on the west shore of Lake Minnetonka ( is a nice town ).

Today I had emails with this nice woman ( volunteer ) who does tons of charity work around here ...and has been scanning and saving TONS of original images ( photos , newspapers, etc ) for the society. She's nice but IMO really stupid when it comes to dealing with ME...

Cause...today ( after the big break through for me to get shit without cost..which took a year to do ) she tells me her life story ( all the charities she's busy with etc ) and then says, " I don't have much time, so tell me what you think you need and I will pick out some stuff for you to start with ".

I'm looking at another month or so before she might be available to sit at the computers with me and work together.. and that is her "solution " ... to give her some idea what I need and she will pick out some stuff for me to " start with "....

SOOOOO.. basically ( you know me.. ) I FREAKED OUT ! LIKE, WTF !!!!!  She's gonna write my freaking screenplay for me and tell this STORY I've literally been working on for a freaking YEAR .. giving her and her cohorts updates every WEEK...

And now she writes " let me know what you have in mind and I'll try to put some pictures together for you to start with "....

PLUS.. she writes ... and I quote , " I grew up here and raised a family and have been here for 40 years " or some stupid stuff....like huh ???? now it's about me from NY and her from HERE ? 

GRRRRRR

So anyway, I deleted every single thing about the Mound documentary from my computer, including links in browser ( which was HUGE ..hundreds of links )....all the sound files, email folders , research stuff... everything..

and wrote HATE MAIL to at least 3 people here in Mound... ( if you are one of them you deserve it !!!! )

I told Jeanne that " I wouldn't work with you on a real job if my life depended on it ! "

I meant that if I was producing a movie in this area and she was around I would ask the cops to say to her, " it's a closed set so get outta here ".

I went from being 100% into doing this thing to being ZERO percent in about 1 minute...and thank Gawd ! 

So anyway, the question remains.. " what am I working on now ?? "

( burp, scuse me )

nothin ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well... you wouldnt believe the barrage of emails going on now... between me and those I HATE HATE HATE ...

and its hard to fathom it's only been like an 'hour' beween postings.. am I in shooternz land ? some kinda time warp? IT feels like it's been a REALLY long time since I died....but I'm still here... whats up with that ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So anyway, I deleted every single thing about the Mound documentary from my computer, including links in browser ( which was HUGE ..hundreds of links )....all the sound files, email folders , research stuff... everything..

I sure hope you are kidding.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

black cloth ....easy and simple and you can stuff it into camera bag when not needed....

Serously. I have thought about some form of that. Perhaps an umbrella that would stick into a special backpackA Adjustable?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hist Soc board met last night and I got permission to use pics etc at no cost for my documentary.

That is MAJOR. Congratulations!

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go for it, by gingo!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

Wasting time and procrastinating on the Adobe Forums

- Editing and posting vids of my buddies and me playing the Battlefield 3 video game.  Premiere helps immensely with this task.

- Prepping my gaming rig for the next generation of video games such as Battlefield 4 and the new Batman: Arkham Origins.  Preperations include removing the single GTX680 card and replacing it with 2 GTX Titans SLI'd.

-(Im)Patiently waiting for Intel to release the new Ivy Bridge Xeons, so that I can build a dual-CPU Hackintosh rig.  Already have the Gigabyte motherboard picked as well as the case and power supply.  The decision after that: which CPUs and which video card(s)?  Perhaps 2 more Titans?  Great googly moogly!

- Stuff for my real job at work, which I can't necessarily discuss, but is fun all the same.  I still can't believe they pay me to do what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason, did you go to Clarkson University?

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven Gotz wrote:

Jason, did you go to Clarkson University?

Uh oh... I've been found out.  Poking around on linked-in I see...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poking around on linked-in I see...

I couldn't resist.

The comment about "which I can't necessarily discuss" was too intriguing.

I spent some time just after I left the military in a job I couldn't discuss, having to do with military satellites. One of the bosses didn't even have the clearance to come into the testing room where I pulled 12 hour days, seven days a week, back to back with another guy with a high clearance for a few weeks at a time during critical testing periods.

One of my uncles spent time on a little Atoll called Kwajalein back in the late 1960s and when asked about what he did for a living he said "I screw in lightbulbs."

Where you work is a rather secretive place for good reason, I imagine.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steven Gotz wrote:

Where you work is a rather secretive place for good reason, I imagine.

The "where I work" and "what I do" isn't necessarily secret, I just don't discuss them on public forums.  The "what exactly am I doing right now" part is something I don't generally discuss with anyone at all because it's really no one's business.  And I've signed all sorts of NDAs anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jason,

My last job change wasn't my idea and I took a job that just isn't very, how shall I say this.... challenging? Necessary yes. And I am glad to have the job. And management listens to what we have to say. And they recognize excellence. I like to hear "Thank You" from the bosses. It makes it seem more worthwhile.

But it isn't particularly challenging. And when you drive a van with the company name in huge letters on it, walk into offices and say, "Hi! My name is Steven and I am with ..." it becomes a moot point.

Take today for example. I have a two hour drive to swap out a router to provide additional security and backup services. This has to be done during their lunch hour and should take all of about 30 minutes. So I work from home for an hour or so then start my drive.

I will eat my lunch at the far end, then drive two hours back, and finish my day getting ready for tomorrow. Getting paid full pay to drive four hours, listening to the radio (and where I am going has better radio stations that we do) just seems a little silly to me, but it has to be done. The cool part is that quite often I end up eating lunch in places where I can wander around with my camera. Like tree lined parks, or downtown areas, or along rivers or lately, near where the America's Cup races are being held. I now carry my camera with me about 95% of the time I am in a vehicle going anywhere.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested my new lights and my new reflector tonight.

Decided that I just don't have the room to do this properly. It was OK, but I need to use a longer lens and I need to be farther away from the greenscreen. I have to wait for the garage. Hopefully that will be by the end of the month. This purchase of a house is taking longer than all three of our previous purchases combined.

It would have been OK with a black or a white, or even my red background, but I got a little spill and I don't have enough lights to counteract that. I think part of the spill was coming off of the reflector. I don't think that will be an issue in the garage.

One softbox plus the reflector were able to provide a reasonably even greenscreen. Keylight didn't have any trouble knocking it out.

Craig, you will be glad to hear that the autofocus seems to work just fine for video. I will practice with it shooting stills and see if it makes a difference.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Sep 13, 2013 Sep 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh...

well, it didnt take that long to give you that info...and maybe you can use it later on to solve some other problem. or help someone else with the info..

maybe someone else will read the thread and get something out of all that re: thread adapters, etc... who knows.

running out of room is pretty much par for the course.. its surprising how fast you suddenly find you need more space in photo stuff dont you think ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

its surprising how fast you suddenly find you need more space in photo stuff dont you think ?

Wow! Ain't that the truth!!!

My problem is that I know what to do after watching a bazillion hours of tutorials, just not always how to accomplish it in the space I currentl;y have. I suppose that is better than being clueless. As soon as I have room I should be OK. Even if the garage is not enough room with the door closed, I should be able to back the camera up into the driveway. The covered patio is plenty long enough. So that could end up being my favorite space to shoot. I just wish the darn sale would hurry up and go through!

I know I want to be at least 6 feet or more from the greenscreen, and I know I want to shoot with a 200mm lens, and I know how to light everything. I just can't get the lights, and the reflector (at 48" it takes up some room) into a 12'X10' room with lots of stuff already in it.

I got a decent key other than a little spill, so now it is just a matter of being patient.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The garage sounds like a good idea...

I have one garage experience, which turned out to be really funny... so I will share it with you.

Some guy called me to shoot a portrait of him in his brand new fire chief uniform.  This was on Long Island. We talked a little on phone about the shot and we kinda came up with a cool idea.. to have an American flag in the shot behind him...sorta "waving " instead of the more normal 'hanging flag on stand' you usually see with portraits like that ( military, cops, firemen, polititicians, they all like the hanging flag on stand thing ).

We would basically set this up so he would have to FREEZE for one second...and I figured it would take about a gazillion shots to get him good...where he isn't blinking, moving etc.

Meantime I would be making a flag " wave" by hanging flag from rafters of garage, in a wavy pattern, and hook it up to my leg via rope and pulleys...so I could pull the flag 'straight' during shot ... by moving my leg sideways back and forth.

We picked a date and time for him to come over after settling on a price for the shot(s).

I then went to Manhattan and bought a bunch of film for the mamiya 6x7 film camera.. chromes, negative, and polaroid...as I have many film backs and could load them beforehand...and shoot lots of stuff...That cost about $80.00

Then I went to some giant flag factory in nyc ( they make real big flags, like the one hanging in front of the ny stock exchange )... and bought a big flag... about 12 feet long....which cost me about $150.00... nice heavy cotton cloth...

All in all, with train fare, cabs and so on.. this cost a little bit.

Then I pre-lit the garage...blacking out some stuff, hanging flag, putting pulleys in place with rope to flag, putting key, fill and back lights in place, and so on...

Then the next day I was ready.. camera on tripod, scene lit and ready to go...and waited for the guy to show up with his nice new uniform.  About an hour late I called him, and got voice mail. Two hours.. called him, and got voice mail.  He never showed up and never called and so the next day before taking everything down and out of the garage I took this picture of the waving flag.  As I was doing it , and moving my leg back and forth, the dog kept looking at me like I was out of my mind...and barked at the flag that was magically moving all by itself...

usflag2.jpg

Pretty hilarious ... that story... hahaha.. I still laugh about it today, years later....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After all that trouble / expense, you should have done a 'selfie'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then who would wave the flag ??? the dog maybe if I tied rope to his tail and got him to wag it ??

Besides, I was so pissed off at that moron I woulda had a frown on my face anyway, plus I had no cool new fire chief uniform to wear...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

selfie.png

Salute.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very funny !  hehe...  howd you do that ?? you didnt draw a path around me did you ? and then make selection ?

I've only really got decent using ps7.. and haven't played with cs6 yet...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

able123 wrote:

very funny !  hehe...  howd you do that ?? you didnt draw a path around me did you ? and then make selection ?

I've only really got decent using ps7.. and haven't played with cs6 yet...

Ae:

Ae.png

It took about 3-4 minutes (I didn't save the setup).

This image is a re-creation... it took about 30 seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines