• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's up with Adobe Application Manager CS6?

People's Champ ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I select within Pr (CS6): Help > Updates...

here is the resulting update check (as expected):

Help_Updates.PNG

But...

if I directly run Application Manager either from the Start Menu shortcut,

or by running the executable file (PDapp.exe) in this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\core\

Here is the message I get:

(Not logged in with my Adobe ID.)

ApplicationManager.PNG

'Sup with that?

notes:

This is the first time I have tried to run AAM since this series of events

on 7/6 (I was logged in with my Adobe ID at the time)

The steps I took on 7/6:

- Ran Adobe Application Manager from the Start Menu shortcut.

- Normal AAM interface appeared (as pictured in first image above).

- Once connected, the AAM interface immediately disappeared,

and a small progress bar appeared stating:

"Updating Adobe Application Manager".

(No screen shot available)

- At about 50-75% completion of the progress bar, an icon appeared

on my desktop called: "Adobe Creative Cloud".

- At about 95% completion of the progress bar, the update stalled.

- I killed the stalled AAM update in the Task Manager, then rebooted.

After reboot, these processes had been added to startup:

- Creative Cloud.exe

- Adobe CEF Helper.exe

I killed these two unwanted processes in the Task Manager,

then uninstalled "Creative Cloud.exe" using:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features

After reboot, the two unwanted processes

were no longer present in the Task Manager.

Now that I am logged in with my Adobe ID, I am going to run

AAM again from the Start Menu shortcut and see what happens.

UPDATE EDIT:

I am now logged in and I have just tried again

to run AAM from the Start Menu shortcut.

Error:

ApplicationManager.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AAM was replaced by the CC app.  Do like it says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about... no thanks.

If that's the case, I will avoid AAM entirely.

Why replace a CS6 application with a 'shepherding tool' for CC?

If I have no plan to subscribe to CC at this time,

why would I want these unnecessary processes running on my system?

- Creative Cloud.exe

- Adobe CEF Helper.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may need to watch for forum talk about updates, and then do a manual download and install

Starting at http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/ - which, unfortunately, will need to be done for each CS6 program

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe,

It's obviously a ruse to hook you into going to the Cloud... They will ask for your credit card, but promise to NOT charge anything to it.

If there ever is an update to CS 6, I would expect that it will add a little operation, that pops up a full-screen advertisement for Adobe CC, with animations, bands playing, and crowds cheering the CC. It will hard to find a way to exit out of that...

Hey, the US Gov is putting up ads for Obamacare in outhouses, so who knows?

Nice to see you back around - Rod missed you!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there ever is an update to CS 6, I would expect that it will add a little operation, that pops up a full-screen advertisement for Adobe CC, with animations, bands playing, and crowds cheering the CC.

Watch what you say...

the promised AVCHD bug fix might come packaged

as a "CC Subscription Required" download / install.

It would not surprise me a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you who use the avchd stuff haven't got avchd fix by now for cs6 you aint never gonna get it...

duh... how long can someone lie to you and you keep believing them ?  amazing....

Joe, I was scared you got blown out of water with that adobe stuff Joe, like your computer crashed or something...glad you are okay.. you left abruptly after the upgrade problem...to go run or something...I kept thinking, " oh oh, Joe's computer died ! He's stuck between the earth and the clouds somewhere !  oh noooooooooooooo !!!! "

I should just delete that icon on desktop to the manager thing.. it is broken.  I checked and dont have those processes running from cloud or whatever... whew...

I think I got some updates somehow when install was going on for creative suite...but kinda don't know if I'm totally up to date on everything...but am too scared now to try any more updating..

There's some update for psd that says it fixes color thing for canon mark 3 or something and I wonder if that would effect my nikon d800 too ...stuff like that is kinda confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>haven't got avchd fix by now for cs6 you aint never gonna get it

Says here the fix WILL be done http://forums.adobe.com/message/5493187#5493187 - click the link inside the link and hit page down a bit to get the relevant section

"Our commitment to customers includes those who haven’t yet subscribed to Creative Cloud or who rely on CS6, and we plan to release an update to Premiere Pro CS6 in the coming weeks that will address an AVCHD clip spanning issue"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks John..that IS good news...wow.

I wonder if I can stuff on pig updated without internet connection...like DL a fix that is just an exe that I can load into pig via a burned dvd or flash drive...from mouse ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should just delete that icon on desktop to the manager thing.. it is broken.

I fully endorse that decision.

It does appear that the AAM (as accessed from within Pr CS6),

does not require CC signup to run... that precondition seems to

only affect the stand-alone AAM application.

Also, the AAM (as accessed from within Pr CS6) appears to have

access to update all applications directly (including CS5).

Within Premiere (CS6): Help > Updates...

"About" button:

AAM_About.PNG

"Preferences" button:

Help_Updates.PNG

It would be fun to have an Adobe person clarify this anomaly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay.. gonna delete that icon ..

I looked at all the version numbers for creative suite and I think what I got is kinda close to the latest update stuff...I cross checked with the link for DL updates John supplied..but those links actually end up needing internet ...but at least have version numbers to check...

unless I screwed up something... which would be normal for me.

anyway, unless it's broke I aint gonna update nothing more...and then I'll worry about how to do it, etc.

I dont even know my own workflow yet , so dont know what will work or not etc.

It would be nice if I could just hire some local person to come over one day to my apt. and run me through the basics of

a) shoot nikon d800 mov h264

b) start prpro project for hd 1080p

c) use AE for maps and illustrations etc.

d) use audition to adjust soundtrack and voice over and sound fx ( wild sound ).

e) export to dvd, bd and something for archiving that can be put back into editor someday lossless...

and do all this with an eye toward render files codec to use for that etc etc..

in other words , teach me how to do this stuff just for my own current camera and product choices.

is this called " going to school " ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There a LOTS of wonderful tutorials all over the internet. Try using Google to find what you need. Im sure you know how to use that  . Lynda.com is the most thourough, but there are tons of free ones as well. Those can be hit or miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks lasvideo.. I started doing that and have bookmarked a few ...mostly encore export stuff so far...like that iso thing...and not using the " send to encore " route...some good stuff I found..

Lynda might be the way to go for AE and PrPro cs6...dont know yet...am still sorta into such basic workflow things..and dont care about other cameras since I only got the one and probably for rest of life at that...just add lenses etc from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rodney,

For a great, basic foundation on Adobe Encore, and DVD's, in general, I highly recommend Jeff Bellune's Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0, Focal Press. It is for an earlier version, obviously, and BD is not covered, as that was not added until later. However, the DVD specs. have not changed, so 95% of that book still covers the bases.

Some features were added by CS 6, but there are tutorials covering those. The book will be a great investment, and very informative in the concepts of authoring a DVD.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck is what I need...thanks Bill !

I would rather have a sharp stick in my eye than have anything to do with helping Jeff , unless he is in some accident or something and he and his family need help ...I respectfully decline any of Jeff's contributions to anything on earth.

If that isn't plain enough let me know...

and good luck to you TOO

and thanks for sharing !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made a substantial amount of money off of my Lynda.com tutorials so I would hate to suggest anything else. I still get paid every month for work I did in 2004. Not much anymore, but enough for a meal at In 'n Out Burger. Not enough to cover my web site costs and have not been for about 6 months or so.

The advantage of Lynda.com is the premise that they expect you to follow along with the tutorials to achieve what you see the instructor achieve. Kind of a hands-on thing rather than just watch. Although you CAN just watch.

Having said that, the free tutorials from the Creative Cow are amazingly good. And they can be accessed via the mouse.

For Premiere Pro CS6 look at http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobepremierebasics and http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobepremierepro. The 107 tutorials on CS6 are very, very well done.

And for After Effects, http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/adobeaftereffects  That is a starting point for hundreds more.

For your maps, the best way to get smooth pans isn't a secret exactly, just a math issue. Lots of Ae things are math issues, but this one is simple enough. I have an example of an export from Ae that looks pretty smooth to me. I panned across one of my early panoramas. The secret is that if you want to move something in the span of, let's say 10 seconds and you are using 24 frames per second, you are using 240 seconds. If you move 240 pixels, or 480 pixels or any multiple of 240, it comes out better because Ae does not have to interpolate or frame blend anything. No half pixels, or fifth pixels to mess things up.

Basically, I can help you with your entire list - except - and here it comes - Encore. Sorry, but I haven't used it in years. Never needed it since I could play my footage on my HDTV without a disk.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as going to school is concerned, and you have helped me with that, so thanks, I can tell you that there are amazing videos telling you everything you want to know about your particular camera. Some every high quality tutorials.

You may already be aware of all or most of these, but just in case...

ThatNikonGuy.com may be someplace to spend some time. He purports to be training an assistant and produces some interesting tutorials.

For your camera, just type "Nikon d800 tutorials" into YouTube and get access to a bunch of Lynda.com tuorials for free among others.

For documentaries, check out "DSLR documentary filmmaking" as a search.

I have the feeling that more hours of training, that I would actually be interested in, are created every week than I have time to watch, let alone all the ones from the last few years.

B&H has a great series of free sessions available from their Event Space. Long videos, but worthwhile. Check out the search using "b&h photo video channel"

And just to be fair, Adorama fans can get their fix searching this way "adoramatv".

Be warned, these darned things are forcing me to cut back on my sleep in order to watch as many as possible.

I know you are retired now, but I don't know how long you are willing to sit in one place watching this stuff. While driving around with my wife from store to store last night, after Kohl's she let me just sit in the car as she ran in and out of many places. While she shopped, I got over an hour of a B&H video watched on my SmartPhone.

Also, with my latest HDTV purchase, I can watch YouTube on the big screen - from my easy chair. It doesn't get any better than that. Beer-Thirty, an easy chair, and videos about Photography.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That pan looks good...is it called pan in AE and not motion / scale , as in PrPro ? I haven't looked at AE yet...more than just see if it opened okay and what version it is..

I saved your notes re: the pixel numbers and frame rate..thanks !  also saved links to tutorials etc..

I have to stop for a little while...like maybe a day...going out tomorrow on lake in someone's boat...so that will be good, get away from this stuff for a bit..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny, but I have been using Ae for these things for a long time. I just looked again to make sure it was the same name in Ae as in Pr, which is the "position" parameter. I could swear that Ae used pixels and Pr used percentages, but I guess when the Motion effect in Pr became a "fixed" effect, the problem was resolved because Pr uses pixel position as well. I never noticed.

Hmm. I guess that I could have done the pan in Pr as well.

Just know that the drop frame issue can really mess you up when you forget about it. Make sure you are not crossing over the one minute mark that skips from 00;59;29 to 01;00;02 without thinking about what you are doing. Otherwise the number of frames gets fouled and your pan looks bad. The easiest way around that is to always set up your pans at the beginning of a new sequence and either copy it over or nest the sequence.

As for the boat? Have fun. I used to enjoy boats, but about 20 years ago I was out sailing with a friend and he asked me to go below and tie something off. No sweat. I had done similar things 1000 times. I was a Sea Explorer Scout in my younger days. Well, this time I turned green. And ever since then, I am unhappy on a boat if I can't concentrate on the horizen to eliminate the motion sickness. And going over curvy roads with my wife driving? No way. As long as I am driving I am OK. With someone else, anyone else, not so much.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And going over curvy roads with my wife driving? No way. As long as I am driving I am OK. With someone else, anyone else, not so much.

On those, I usually get to drive. Last time that we came over from Temecula to Palm Desert, through Anza, I tightened up the suspension, put the anti-slip on full, and lit the fires in her AMG. Out of Anza, there were headlamps behind us, but they disappeared instantly. We had some slush on the road, but the big MB hung in there nicely. When we got down, it took almost 45 mins. for the next car to approach. We were already into our second course, and third glass of wine.

It was kinda' like the last time that I did The Road to Hana, http://www.frommers.com/destinations/maui/0015020319.html. Some locals had written into the Maui paper, about "tourists" hanging up traffic. Well, I did that road in 53 mins., from the Hana cutoff (Paia near Mama's Fish House) to Hana, and not one local stayed in my rearview mirror, for more than a minute, after I passed each one, plus a few dozen "tourists." Now, on the way back, I did stop to see the streams, that we crossed at about 50 mph, just to see what we missed. I am sure that the locals then wrote in about the "crazed tourists," who drifted through each of the 189 curves, and over the 82 bridges. They should not have thrown down the gauntlet. If I had had the AMG, I think that I could have done that trip in less than 45 mins.. If I had had the XKE, I would think that about 35 mins. would be doable, depending on construction.

To this day, my S-I-L will ONLY ride the High Country, if I am driving. Unlike my loving wife, she trusts me with every move.

Now, if I had Mitchell's TT, who knows how quickly I could do The Road to Hana, and especially if the "locals" threw down the gauntlet? Of course, his sticky tires, and brake pads would need replacing, but hey, that is life "in the fast lane." I'd love to have that road closed, with a Porche 939 Turbo, and racing rubber.

Hunt

PS - sorry about the sickness. I had one bad bout, but think that it was due to bad fish. My father almost did not let me live that one down, but it was a "one-n-only" situation, and I was about 13. Yeah, bad fish for lunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only curvy road around here is about a three mile stretch or so up and over the National forest to get over to our Accountant's house. When you dive a Chevy Aveo, exciting is not part of your vernacular when discussing driving. And the Dodge van I drive for work - even less so.

I am grateful that automobiles are no longer my passion. That ended when I bought my first "sensible" car when I got out of the Army and was planning on moving to where it snows. I already had the car when plans changed, and I always seem to have other things I want to do with my money. Mostly go on vacations. I used to travel so much the airfare in first class was always free on vacations. Not anymore.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

AAM was replaced by the CC app.  Do like it says.

Wouldn't that be considered a new CS6 feature?

I thought there weren't going to be any feature updates to CS6, only:

"...provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary."

http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html

Is this considered a bug fix, or is it a security update?

I submit it is neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe

"Is this considered a bug fix, or is it a security update?

I submit it is neither"

Ouch, that is near the knuckle

Its not the same programe ergo its new, therefore Joe they will have to charge you for it

Sorry to be blunt but that is the new Adobe way, money talks

Col

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines