• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Premiere ever get faster and use the GPU more like Davinci?

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Premiere ever keep up with Danvinci?

I am wondering because I have the feeling that Premiere is getting slower and more unstable with every update. There are great new features and hardware decoding is now available for rendering, but the timeline performance and the general stability of the program leave a lot to be desired.

Is the Adobe team aware of this issue? Are you working on revising the program? I think (and I'm not alone in this) that I really have to switch to Resolve soon.

I really want to use Premiere Pro and have a stable environment. It would be great to no longer see the GPU sitting betweeen 2-15% useage while Premiere ist struggling to playback 1/4 quality of my timeline..

Would like to hear something from the Premiere Pro Team 🙂

Have a great day!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe team

This is a public forum with "some" Adobe staff participation, use the link below to make a report or request
-https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They've been going through a massive rebuilding project dumping old code and support for old kit as part of a process to get both better performance across the user-base and make bug checking vastly easier. More logical.

For most of us, it means the program is more stable and faster for many things. Including rendering/exporting. For some user with older kit, it's most certainly not faster. And for some users even with newer kit, it isn't performing as it should.

My "old" desktop is a 6-core i7 with 32GB of RAM and a 1060 GPU. It's much faster with most things than the first couple of 14.x versions were.

My new desktop is a 24 core Ryzen with 128GB of RAM and a 2080 ... and it screams. I'm transferring to that rig sometime over the next week. Eagerly ... other than I hate migrating to new computers.

My laptop processes about the same in 13.x and any 14.x.

And on none of my rigs is Resolve notably faster. On the laptop, it's notably slower.

Everyone's mileage will vary.

So ... what is the media you're working with? What effects?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2021 Jan 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, thanks for your feedback!

I can briefly clarify: I am currently working with on a Ryzen 9 3950x with a NVIDIA 2080 Super and 3 different SSDs. A NVME 2TB for System + Premiere, a 1TB NVME for cache and a 4TB SSD for project files and footage.

Shooting is mainly done with Canon Cinema cameras (C300mk II + III, C200, C70 and now and then GH5, as well as S1H)

Everything from .mp4, .mxf, raw and prores is included.

I regularly empty the cache after finishing the projects.

I've never heard of "kits" and I'm not involved in the Premiere code. I only work with Resolve every now and then and am always amazed how fast and fluid the timeline runs. Even with larger projects, Permiere can be brought to its knees quickly. Premiere is currently running a bit more stable again, but in 2019 and especially in 2020 I had a lot of problems with various bugs and crashes.

Chris

A good example: In Resolve, the cursor is always exactly at the mouse pointer and in Premiere it lags behind in a small project. No matter which material and which settings are selected.

And yes, of course, Premiere uses CUDA and various hardware supports like hardware decoding is active with the NVIDIA button selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is faster than Davinci Resolve on my system for most things. Keep in mind Premiere Pro can also make use of Intel's Quick Sync. The video below might be worth watching. That being said what are your system specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im talking about timeline performance. Not rendering. I know that rendering in premiere ist better with also a higher quality output.
On my "old" machine there is an i7 6750k or smth like that with an NVIDIA 1070 .. and also there it felt like Resolve is much more responsive while cutting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what do you mean by "much more responsive while cutting?"   I've never seen much if any difference in performance while editing in resolve vs premiere.  and "kits" just refers to your equipment...  your setup... 

I much prefer premiere for it's editing interface and resolve for it's color correction interface and it's responsiveness in color correction.  I do find that adjusting the parameters in complex effects in premiere can lack responsiveness particularly on an older underpowered machine, but I'll usually send these sort of effects tasks to After Effects.  Every NLE has it's plusses and minuses.  I can tell you horror stories of problems with media linking, workflow oddities etc. in resolve if you like.  Of course the price is right and it, like Premiere is constantly evolving.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Chrism,

My previous video demonstrates Premiere Pro for real-time playback and rendering. I can get my GPU to hit 90% useage. The video below is for playback only. Your system should be able to do the same thing. What video codec are you using? Premiere Pro strugles with variable frame rate. That being said I can play multiple layers of 4K video from Pro Res, Red R3D, H.264 8 bit and BRAW at full resolution. I have a  mediocre i9 9900K and a mediocre RTX 2070.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines