Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Win 10 , Adobe Acrobat and Edge

LEGEND ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RANT WARNING

In the absence of an Acrobat Forum of any worth...I post here where there is at least a semblance of a pulse..

How does one stop Windows bloody 10 from constantly and regularly  associating pdfs with Windows bloody Edge?

I just want the .pdf association to stay with Acrobat DC (from my Cloud Subscription) but every Windows bloody 10 update changes it to Edge.

Must have changed this about 10 times now at least.

Does anyone even use Edge for anything!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is rather like the Adobe website - I have to fight off pressure to sign up to creative clod every time I want anything from their site!

Try going to "Set default Apps by file type" and selecting .pdf.  Clck on the Edge icon which inevitably displays, then select Acrobat/Reader.

This will not protect from major updates, but will keep Edge at bay for minor ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done that mnay times...always overridden by next Win 10 update.

Thats the frustration.

Not dissimilar to having to sort Adobe Fonts every update/upgrade to rid oneself of Font Bloat.!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx Alan.

Will try this next time my pdfs are hijacked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 08, 2017 Feb 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grrrr!!!!

Windows 10 has just reversed my block on performing driver updates and updated my graphics card driver while i was at lunch.  The result was a black screen with just a cursor when I got back

I have now turned this odd in group Policy Editor, alongside a lot of other "features".

I suppose that it is too much to hope that one can turn off Edge in this way!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 09, 2017 Feb 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 has just reversed my block on performing driver updates and updated my graphics card driver while i was at lunch.  The result was a black screen with just a cursor when I got back

I dont know what got updated yesterday but I turned my back on my Edit Rig for about 1/2 an hour...PPro was running...and when I got back to it

The result was a black screen with just a cursor

I forced a hot reboot as the only way to restart (button) although maybe I could have left it run its course.  I just did not know what it was doing.   BLACK SCREEN.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search Microsoft – Official Home Page  for all things Microsoft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have Win 10 pro   v1803 and Edge continues to hijack my PDF files.  Despite the basic temp solution of resetting the file association, each time windows updates it resets the default to Edge.  I have used a registry script,  This works well between windows updates.  However a more permanent fix is to stop Edge from launching by renaming the Edge launcher files in the Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder.  There are two that I suggest you rename by adding OLD before the .exe.  The files are:

MicrosoftEdge.exe

MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe

Note that you will need t change permissions to rename the files.

Since doing this over 6 mths ago, I have had no problem with Edge hijacking my PDF files from Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines