• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Just curious: Is CC worth the money and bondage ?

Guru ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

16 months after introduction of CC, I'm curious to know your feelings about the rental and bondage model of CC.

Was it worth it?

I know that by not going the rental route but remaining on CS6 Master Collection, I saved $ 1,500 (based on European prices) but forfeited the new 'features and bugs'. I'm glad I did not spend all that money on rent, but how about you? Did you get your money's worth from the rental? In hindsight, was it worth it? And in 3 or 5 years time, what do you think, after spending another $ 1,800 (US, 3 years) or $ 3,200 (Europe, 3 years) up to $ 3,000 (US, 5 years) or $ 5,400 (Europe, 5 years) and having to pay each month for eternity?

Of course, if your boss foots the bill, you don't worry about that, but what if you need to pay the bill? Still an attractive deal?

I found this diagram on the internet and that pretty much says it all:

Perpetual-CC.png

This does not take into account the possibility to BUY from MainConcept or Cineform extra plug-ins that add codecs for new camera formats not supported in CS6.

As I said, just curious.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 07, 2014 Sep 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In...before this gets moved to the Lounge

As I have just paid my second yearly subscription I am well placed to comment.

The work ( income) I did with Premiere alone in the 1st year easily amortised the cost of approx $50US per month, ( I pay it annually in NZD$).  Edits costing from $1000 to $5000 makes this cost "small potatoes" as an overhead!

This over head cost  more  when doing CS Upgrades during the  Perpetual Licence versions and I now have more apps in  the toolbox.

I have been very happy with the regular updates and fature sets ( ignoring the dumbness of the EOF Indicator)..and feel I am ahead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 08, 2014 Sep 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

shooternz wrote:

In...before this gets moved to the Lounge

One might ask:  why feed the troll?  His OP was pretty blatant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because I enjoy taunting  him in his permanent regret!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you actually generated extra income by using CC and the extra income was much more than you could have made while on CS6, which was already paid. Which features in CC generated this addditional, extra income that you could not make with CS6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2014 Sep 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really.

Just saying business as usual without regrets.

Guess I am also saying that CC is worth the money to me...but I certainly do more and more  post  in-house than before ( specifically CC/Grade)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like you no CC, in UK so saved enough by not subscribing to buy a new Panasonic DSLR.

So who is the monkey?

There have been to many problems induced by upgrades to even risk it, remember with CC you are the beta tester.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta Tester!

I have had no issues with anything in CC or CC2014.

Rock solid and powerful. ( New update features for you to salivate on...also coming as advised today in PPRO Forum)

BTW - would you like to see the brand new Sony FS700RH I just bought from what I saved (ie. "earned.") 

What the monkey bought..

P1020256sm.jpg

P1020259sm.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles Lamb wrote:

with CC you are the beta tester.

That's not any different than the CS versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the deal with costs and business. If the tool is required for you to be in business then you pay for it, whether it is office space or software that you rent or buy. The decision to purchase a subscription to Creative Cloud should be based entirely on the cost/benefit ratio. If the numbers look good then every argument you make about the unfair way you have to pay the monkey is just gibberish. It's just part of the cost of doing business. If you are not willing to pay the cost then you either have to change your business model or quit the business. If you have to raise your prices to cover the cost then you have to raise the prices.

Anyone who provides you with any product or service is bound by the same rules. If they do not support the product or provide a good value then they loose customers and go out of business. No one, not Adobe, Not Microsoft, not even Google is immune. Personally, in my business, I have learned that owning high end cameras, while nice, is bad for my bottom line, good for the EGO. Having the latest software and being expert in it's use is good for business so I subscribe to CC and several much more expensive software packages with much higher monthly costs and I rent high end cameras when I need them because my ego takes second place to my bottom line. If it didn't, I'd be broke.

If your creative endeavors are a hobby then the cost/benefit equations is completely reversed. You are feeding your ego entirely and you just have to figure out what you are willing to pay for that pleasure. If you are not willing to pay for the latest and greatest software then use something else and quit complaining. If you use it and complain then no body cares. Not the people that make the product. Not your friends. Not anyone. You are defining yourself by what you hate, not by what you love. If you love to do something then grow up and pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 11, 2014 Sep 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed 100%. When you need and are happy with the tools you use you don't mind paying for them. The adobe suite is priced to where you can recoup your investment fairly quick $600 US for 1 year for the whole package or PS for $120, single app (not PS) for $240 and they are as good as you would expect from Adobe. Also for some (myself included) this business model made it affordable. The low monthly payments vs the lump some is awesome. Worth it 100% for me. Income from work - price of tools = profit... good purchase!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 14, 2014 Sep 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Biggles Lamb wrote:

with CC you are the beta tester

Peru Bob wrote

That's not any different than the CS versions.

I Reply

Wrong, only an idiot upgraded on first release, those of sensible ones waited until X.1 by which time most of the idiots had Beta tested and the big A had debugged.

Now each time a minor upgrade is drip fed to you CCers you cannot wait to upgrade, hence you are Beta testers.

All you have to do is look at the main Premier forum to see masses of help posts after upgrades are installed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lol beta tester. Some have minors issues, few have major issues, most have none or unnoticed bugs as far as software. User and/or OS errors play a huge factor also. As far as CS6, its $2,600 for the full suite. Old software, years old. When will updates stop for CS6? At $600 per year it would take around 4 1/4 years for CC to equal CS6s full price. For my dollar I can't see going any other route if I'm spending with adobe. Why go backwards or stand still even? One last thing, as far as the bondage thing goes. Before CC, unless you had plans to switch to different software (which most people didn't of course) we bound ourselves to Adobe in a sense. Happy and upgrading to the next version as usual. Overall its cheaper to own/use, the tech is better, new features, access to more "legal" fonts for free etc. I really don't see why anyone has any gripes about it really (though I do respect everyones opinion about it). Maybe its about choosing to stay and some are feeling forced to stay... Btw how long does CS6 have before its no longer supported anyway? I honestly have wondered about this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now each time a minor upgrade is drip fed to you CCers you cannot wait to upgrade, hence you are Beta testers.

Not guts..no glory!

Not sure you can prove your "cannot wait"  or "minor upgrade" statements though.

Personally I give same period as I would have before and the upgrades are are usually more significant than "minor".

What ever.... zero issues for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not disputing the value of CC for all of those who never had a perpetual license.

As indicated in the diagram in the first post, that is not the issue. It is the question - when you already own the perpetual license for CS6 - whether the rental payments of $ 1,500 for the first 16 months are worth the extra costs over simply staying at CS6. Are the new 'features and bugs' that much worth to justify the extra cost? What are these 'features and bugs' that generate extra income over CS6 to justify the bottom line result?

You already have the perpetual license for CS6. No costs now or in the future. It has already been paid in full. What justifies the perpetual bondage to monthly payments of around $ 90 in Europe just for some new 'features and bugs' and how does it generate extra income over CS6? That is the question. Not only now, but also in 3 or 5 years time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would have continued to be a "Adobe" User no matter what.

Originally I was dissapointed (and a bit outraged) at the new subscription model.

Since I took it on...the benefits of the subscription and the upgrade features have paid off .  Compared to CS6 and other wise.

Income streams generated come from...

....more and improved applications in the Suite eg Speedgrade and Muse.

I am currently doing my own work on a new revised website..Call that a simple $1000 saving from Muse.

...and I do a lot more in house CC/Grade...an obvious saving via SG on out sourcing and an advantage to me and my clients in time and effort.

Could not have done that in CS6.!

I am very pleased with the regular updates / upgrades to all applications and generally find things that improve my edit and workflow.  Impossible to $ quantify that but CC2014 has evolved into a suerior program than CS6,.  ( I know becase I used CS6 last week for a legacy project.  After an hour in CS6 ..I took it into CC2014.

I will build a new machine for CCXXX next year.  PC of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Sep 13, 2014 Sep 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc_merchant wrote:

As I said, just curious.

As I'd stated to shooter, you're not "just curious".  You're trolling.

I'll play along.  I've come to appreciate the CC model, though I suspect I'd be happy/happier without it.  It has allowed me dabble with other software in the suite that I've begun using fairly regularly now.  Aside from Premiere and Photoshop, I'm using Audition a lot.  I've dabbled in AE a bit.  Muse is standing by when I finally decide to start building my website (some day.. honest).  The barrier to entry for a lot of these was a bit too high (cost) previously.  Now?  It's more affordable spread out over a longer term.

There are nice pricing deals that pop up from time to time.  I was paying $20/month for Pr and Ps when CC first launched.  When it came time to re-up, Adobe briefly offered a full CC license for $30/month.  For $360 for 12 months, I'll get to use any of the CC apps I want.  Next year, that monthly charge might go up to the standard $50/month.  But I'm kinda betting they'll have another "special" running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my situation is different than many, because I didn't upgrade from CS3 until I subscribed to the Creative Cloud just after it became available, which basically got me the CS6 Master Collection for only a monthly subscription. It has been over two years and I have not yet paid enough to cover the Master Collection. Add to that price what the upgrade might have been, and I think I am still a few years away from paying the full price. Or what would have been the full price plus upgrade fees.

If I had owned CS6 outright, I probably would not yet have upgraded.

But I would have liked to upgrade, and would have resented not doing so until I might have given in. Maybe just the $9.95 Photoshop/Lightroom bundle though.

As for beta testing, I used to do that for Adobe. This is not like that at all. Not even close. But I do agree that Adobe needs to enhance their beta testing to catch more bugs. Unlike shooternz, I did have a problem that prevented me from using CC 2014 until the H.264 problem was fixed. But it wasn't that long and I did have software I could use to do the job. I just didn't get the new toys right away.

I really like some of the new features, and I am not at all unhappy paying a monthly fee to get the latest and greatest Adobe software. But as I said, my situation is different. I didn't spend the big bucks to get CS6 and then have the rug pulled out from under me like you did. I signed up for a low entry fee and it worked out nicely. And living in the USA I don't get shafted with unreasonably high foreign prices and the additional VAT.

Besides, if all I had to do to live for eternity was pay Adobe a monthly fee - it would be well worth it!

Edit: I am very curious to see what kind of changes Adobe is talking about in the announcement they made recently about the enhancements across the video products. If they add "Adobe Camera RAW" to Premiere Pro (taken from Photoshop), I will be a very happy guy. I am so much better at using Photoshop to grade my footage than I am at SpeedGrade - all because I learned Camera RAW for my photos.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 15, 2014 Sep 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the CC costs equated more fairly to the product cycle upgrade costs that we used to have then I would have been a CCer by now.

it is being ripped off after years of use, since 1994 to be precise, that I cannot stand.

Anyway, retirement is only a few months away, then it is hobbyist editing for me with the kit I have and maybe an upgrade to another producers software system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines