• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat DC Fill and Sign feature crashes program.

New Here ,
Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I'm currently running into an issue with Acrobat DC's Fill and Sign feature for signing a document where any time I use fill and sign and type in ACC it crashes the entire program. I've tried running repairs on the program and uninstalling and reinstalling and it continues to do this. I'm trying to type in ACC because it is part of my job title but can't because it crashes after the second c is typed. It does not do this with any other AC combination, only ACC. It also doesn't matter if the letters are uppercase or lower case. It seems the letter combination itself is causing the crash. Has anyone come across an issue like this or know of a solution?

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on MacOS: when opening a PDF and then trying to Fill&Sign (sign) Acrobat DC crashes immediately when the signature is placed on the page.

I have used Document Cloud online, and can use Fill&Sign there without problem.

Seems to be a problem with the local installation on my Mac.

MacOS is current, Acrobat is up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not very knowledgeable with this feature but looking at it from a digital signature security standpoint,  did you check the signing order ?

When the "Sign & Fill" tool wizard was used to create this signature field who was assigned to sign first?

fill and sign.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only ever use "me" as first assigned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also was this signature field copied and pasted from another form into the new one ?

are there any java scripts running as an action with this field?

is it anything executing in the digital signature properties dialogue box?

signature properties.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The signature field was not c&p from somewhere else.

No java scripts

I can't find the window you are referencing (I'm on MacOS Mojave)

Not sure if this helps, but this is part of the crash report:

Process:               AdobeAcrobat [17539]

Path:                  /Applications/Adobe Acrobat DC/Adobe Acrobat.app/Contents/MacOS/AdobeAcrobat

Identifier:            com.adobe.Acrobat.Pro

Version:               19.012.20034 (19.012.20034)

Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:        ??? [1]

Responsible:           AdobeAcrobat [17539]

User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2019-06-24 15:40:24.475 +0200

OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.14.5 (18F132)

Report Version:        12

Bridge OS Version:     3.0 (14Y901)

Anonymous UUID:        BDD27BD2-9315-1092-2261-9F55456252CD

Sleep/Wake UUID:       58AEC501-CAAC-456C-AFC6-F2FC43FD061A

Time Awake Since Boot: 70000 seconds

Time Since Wake:       1700 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        22

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_GPFLT

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process:   exc handler [17539]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the Digital Signature Properties dialogue box , withyour  document with  Adobe, right-click on the signature field, click on "Tools" ---->"Prepare Form".

Once you get into the edit mode, right-click on the signature field that is crashing and select "Properties"-----> then click on the tab that is labeled as "Signed". See if anything is marked as read-only, locked or anything that appears marked as read-only.

This is just to make sure if any prior user settings or if when the original form when it was created by somebody else was not sanitized and is blocking or restricting access in any way, or set as read-only access, and that it  may be still be retaining those  configurations.

-------------------BREAK-------------------------------

From a compter repair POV : You have in your log a segmentation fault problem. It could be 2 things; that Adobe program is trying to write (or store) the file in a read-only directory in your Mac. If this is the case check if accessing a shared folder or with read/write access avoids the application from crashing when it tries to save it.

OR,  you might want to check if one of the memory sticks in your Mac is bad and the program is having a hard time placing temporary instructions in some areas of the RAM due to the file that you are using is corrupt. In this case try creating just a new blank document and create a new signature field and see if that works. If it does recreate the document from scratch do not use the old file.

The same troubleshooting approach should be considered for the software: if there were any corrupt hardware drivers and chipset drivers that were installed during a prior update or upgrade for your OS; try and check for an new update to your OS,  install it, and try again.

If you already did an update and it went well, check also if there are hotfixes or patches available from the Mac vendor support website; install them too and try again.

A similar issue was answered here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2349624

I am curious though, that you were very specific when you mentioned about typing the letter C and experiencing a crash.

Does this happen with other programs that require you to type in the same letter?

Have you checked what happens if you type any other alphanumerical characters rather than just that letter and see if it crash ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your suggestions!

Maybe I have not given enough information: The documents I am trying to sign are all either scans or Word docs converted to PDF. These docs have in 99% of the time not been run through "Prepare Form" or have had signature fields defined. -> Consider the workflow to be: docs are scanned or saved-as by users into PDF format, then the PDF is sent to another user that has to "Fill & Sign" the doc + save and resend to the initial user (sending is simply done in Outlook).

This has been working great for the past 2 years, the crashes only started happening last week.

I have uninstalled and re-installed Adobe DC, and it seems to have solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

disregard the last line you already answered that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the latest version of Acrobat Pro DC

Only when the user clicks the Sign does it crash.

What can re-install the ucrtbase.dll for example ?

Faulting application name: Acrobat.exe, version: 19.12.20034.1161, time stamp: 0x5ccb9be1

Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.15063.1182, time stamp: 0x73290ff4

Exception code: 0xc0000409

Fault offset: 0x000a550b

Faulting process id: 0x3188

Faulting application start time: 0x01d53337e4575778

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ucrtbase.dll

Report Id: 3242e099-0746-44b9-93dc-d8080a4a822a

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue is on MacOS - no .DLL there...

In any case as I mentioned up thread, I resolved the issue by re-installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everyone out there facing this issue,

Just rename your user profile.

Deleted the old profile from registery.

Watch YouTube videos for profile renaming.

Then try acrobat with new profile.

Issue Fixed instantly😌.

If possible, Get me  a good high, paying IT support  job  😁.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly have this issue now in the latest version of Adobe Acrobat in 2024. I have requested signatures in the past and without issue. This suddenly started happening. Is there a permanent fix to this issue as from the thread it seems to be a long time persistent bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2024 Jan 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jasonmase

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

Is this an issue with a particular PDF file or with all the PDFs? Please try with a different PDF file and check. If the file is stored on a shared network/drive please download it to your computer locally and then try again.

What is the version of the Acrobat DC you are using? To check the version go to Help > About Acrobat and make sure you have the recent version 23.08.20458 installed. Go to Help > Check for updates and reboot the computer once.

Also try to repair the installation from the help menu (Win Only) and see if that works.

Please try to reset the Acrobat preferences as described here https://adobe.ly/3TV5K0y and see if that works.

~Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to add that this is still an issue as of 2024/01/24.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 24, 2024 Jan 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for updating the thread.

My Acrobat Pro doesn't have an issue with the Fill & Sign, but it crashes when trying to use the Combine Files tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2024 Jan 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also seeing this issue in the latest update of Acrobat. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2024 Feb 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @defaultkcre7x3phbu4 

Hope you are doing well and thanks for reaching out.

Please make sure you have the application updated to the recent version, 23.08.20470 from the help menu > check for updates and reboot the computer.

Also collect the Crash/freeze logs https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/collect-logs-crash-freeze.html  share them via any cloud storage. Just upload the log file to the cloud and generate the link and share that link with us for further investigation.

Regards
Amal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines