• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat Pro 8 and Reader X - Enable Extended Features for Form

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2012 Feb 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Acrobat Pro 8.3.0, I "Enabled Usage Rights for Adobe Reader" for a fillable form created in LiveCycle Designer 8.0.  The following error message occurs when opening this form in Reader X:

"This document enabled extended features in Adobe Reader.  The document has been changed since it was created and use of extended features is no longer available.  Please contact the author for the original version of this document."

The form has not been changed and as mentioned, I am the author.  Any solutions to allow user in Reader X to fill-in form?  Do I need to upgrade to Acrobat Pro X?

TOPICS
PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

With assistance from our IT department, the following solution solves the problem!

Beginning with the original document, open in Acrobat Pro.  Save a copy which disables the usage rights for Reader.

Open the new file in Acrobat Pro.  Enable the usage rights for Reader under the Advanced menu.  Save file.

Next, open the new file in Reader X…and voila!  I was able to fill-in the form and subsequently save this information!

Why you have to disable and then enable again is a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please tell me the version of Reader installed on your machine. If you're not on the latest version of Adobe Reader i.e. 10.1.2. You can dowload the latest version from : http://get.adobe.com/reader/

After updating Reader check if the issue still exists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The version of Reader I am using is 10.1.2, also known as Reader X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2012 Feb 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem and have the most current version of reader 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With assistance from our IT department, the following solution solves the problem!

Beginning with the original document, open in Acrobat Pro.  Save a copy which disables the usage rights for Reader.

Open the new file in Acrobat Pro.  Enable the usage rights for Reader under the Advanced menu.  Save file.

Next, open the new file in Reader X…and voila!  I was able to fill-in the form and subsequently save this information!

Why you have to disable and then enable again is a mystery to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fought with this for days ... this fix worked great, thanks!

Numerous of the forms I was filling out (from a government agency) consistently exhibited this issue. It drove me crazy!  They were fillable forms and (in theory) could be saved and edited later.  My experimentation showed that whenever I entered data in a multi-line field and then saved the file, the next time I opened the file I would get the dreaded "extended features no longer available" error message and the form would no longer be editable.  I could enter data in single line fields, checkboxes, and date fields without triggering the problem.  And the problem was triggered if I used Reader, Acrobat Pro, CutePDF Pro or CutePDF filler to edit and save, so I really doubt this is has anything to do with the version of Adobe reader, or the date on my computer, or any of the other suggested fixes I read sprinkled over the Internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a suggestion, if you add "restrict editing" security to the document, will that prevent this from happening?

I had the same issue and realised afterward that there was no security assigned to the document, and what probably happened is that a user used Acrobat Pro to open the document which resulted in the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2012 Oct 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem with a 2011 year tax PDF fill in form I JUST got from IRS website.  The actual form is the 2011 8829.

I can not open the PDF from the web browser or if I save it to my local drive. 

I have not been able to open it at all ... thus I have made NO changes.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Adobe Reader X version 10.1.4.

After trying to open the doc (nothing displays) I go to properties, and it says ...

Title: 2011 Form 8829

Author: SE:W:CAR:MP

Created: 12/23/2008

PDF Producer: Adobe LiveCycle DSesigner ES 8.2.

PDF Version: 1.7 (Acrobat 8.x)

Tagged PDF: No

Fast Web View: No

What do I do to resolve this ... I only have this version of Reader ... nothing else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello thed51,

Please reference the solution above that worked for my particular situation!  Adobe Pro 8 and Reader X are the programs I used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2012 Oct 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just opened fine in my AA8 in a browser window. You may want to ask in the Reader forum since that is what you are using and not Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2013 Mar 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you SOOOOO much, this was exactly what I needed.  I searched high and low for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2015 Apr 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Worked for me as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU, it works like a charm!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2016 Feb 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what solved the problem for me:

1. From Acrobat Reader, select Edit > Preferences.

2. Select Security (Enhanced) on the left pane.

3. Uncheck the Enable Protected Mode at startup box.

4. Select Yes to the prompt about being sure about making this change.

5. Click OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2016 Apr 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After hours of experimentation, I have come across a reliable fix for this problem.  The issue can be fixed using Adobe LiveCycle Designer.  Here is how to do it.

First open the problematic document in LiveCycle Designer.  Then create a new blank form in LiveCycle Designer.  Ensure that you set the correct 'Paper Type' in the Master Page tab of the Object palette to match that of the problematic file.  Next go to the XML view of both forms.  (You may need to enable this in the 'View' menu.)

Then copy absolutely all of the XML from the problematic form.  Go to the new blank form and delete all of the XML completely.  Then paste the copied XML into the new form.  Save the form.  This new form can now be reader enabled using Adobe Acrobat.  The error messages will be gone. 

This process can be repeated if further work is done on the form causing the error message to appear again in Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 18, 2016 Oct 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix the "This document enabled extended features in Adobe Reader...." message in Acrobat Reader X by going to the latest update for version X. I updated from 10.0.0 to 10.1.16 and the problem resolved itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same issue, only we no longer have Pro X, only Pro DC.... is there any way to still make the extended features save and work?

This seems to only be an issue with 1 out of our 100s of computers using this form...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It the time and date set correctly on that one computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue. 

Removing data bindings from all fields seemed to work initially. However, after some other changes to the form were made, and I resaved as a Reader Extended file with a new name, the error has reappeared. I've checked the form, and there are no data bindings on any field.

The date/time thing is not an issue -- all PCs are on the same network.

I cannot demand that everyone upgrade to the latest version of Adobe Reader.

Even after extensive Googling, I have no idea how to save a copy that disables the usage rights for Reader as Indiana Homeland suggested.

It's an extremely complex form, so I do not want to create a new form as Lund UK suggested.

Any thoughts? This is an extremely frustrating situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2017 Feb 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem that drove me nuts and I found a solution and wanted to post it here.

I live in Georgia and our State Income Tax Form 500 is very poorly designed.  The menu buttons in Reader are hidden and you have to click a print button at the top of the form to print the form out.

I found that if I edited the form and closed it, I was prompted to save it, but then if I opened it, I got a message that extended features were disabled and I couldn't print or edit it further.

I was able to continue editing and save it in Foxit Reader, but then the print button wouldn't work in either Reader, Pro, or Foxit.

I did have one shot - i.e. I could enter ALL the data, then use the print button in the same session and then save it - but I wouldn't be able to save or even print it again.

What I found that works is saving the file in Reader first: I had to use CTRL-SHIFT-S as there is no file menu visible - I think using the original name works - and then closing the file and saying "don't save" when prompted, I was able to re-open and continue editing and printing the file in Reader.

Update - it isn't as simple as I thought.  The computer I was using had Pro as the default Adobe option.  There are workarounds for it though, but you need more than Adobe Reader.

If I open the file in Adobe Reader and save it as above using CTRL-SHIFT-S, and re-open it in Adobe Reader, I still get the extended features disabled message and can't edit the file, but I can print it using the blue button at the top and javascript, so it does work.

Now I also found that if I open the file in Foxit Reader (preferred) or Adobe Pro or Nuance Power PC - I can edit the file and save it as above and it will still print.  Nuance uses a different font than Adobe or Foxit, so I'm not crazy about using it.

One final note - I found out that only Acrobat Pro retains the form preferences - for example, if I input the data using Pro, all of the character fields are uppercase regardless of the CAPS key position, all of the numeric fields are 0-9 with no $ or commas.  I can edit and update the file using any of the other programs, but I can't be certain that it is in the format the state expects unless I use Pro.  (But I could print and pen-and-ink the form with anything I wanted, so I'm not sure it matters.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very simple. Install Adobe DC Reader.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi All, 

For a normal PDF file, I experienced this issue in Adobe Reader and not Acrobat Pro. I performed the following steps: https://helpx.adobe.com/reader/kb/error-opening-acrobat-reader-extended-pdfs.html and it worked for me. Please try it and see if it helps you.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines