We use network logins via Open Directory on our network. For users with either 10.5.4 or 10.4.11, whenever they try to open Acrobat on their network accounts, it hangs and eventually crashes. It will open fine on local machine accounts. This has been seen on all machines, be their Intel or G5. Here is the crash log via console. Any ideas?
We are having the same problem with Reader 9 on our 10.4.11 macs. Local users have no problem, but network users all experience a stall that requires a force-quit. It's disheartening to see that you have no responses after 15 days.
We recently downloaded a parking permit from one of our local community colleges and normally we would just use the preview app, but this document requires reader 9. So much for PDF being a standard any more.
I am having this problem with the plugin and the Acrobat application. The programs are local and the accounts and homes are on the network. I removed the Adobe pdf plugin and now Safari doesn't crash 10 seconds after opening a pdf. Acrobat Pro 9 does the same thing. So we are using Preview.
No Fix yet....
Adobe Still refuses to help over the phone,
or even send word to programmers.
They even were brazen enough to blamed it on the network,
which works for every other application I've installed. Curious.
Since so many of you seem to be having this particular issue with remote user directories then this scenario was likely not tested by Adobe. The question to ask yourselves is "Did this ever work?" If it did, then what has changed? If not, then it may not be possible to get it to work at this time.
So, what has changed? If you are using Acrobat 9.0 and not version 8.0 then obviously the version of Acrobat, but has anything else changed? Server version? Did you previously use Tiger Server and move to Leopard server?
To all concerned: This is a known issue with people using folder redirection software. To my knowledge Adobe is working on an update that will address this issue; however there is no release date as far as I have seen on the Internet. Acrobat 8 will not cause this issue.
Sanctus, to answer your question more fully, the version of server doesn't seem to make a difference, in that Reader 7 or 8 will work fine with accounts hosted on a OS10.4.x server or on a 10.5.x server. Reader 9 won't work with accounts hosted on a 10.5.x server ( I haven't tested it with a 10.4.x as it easier to roll back the Reader version than it is the server version)
As was mentioned before a local user has no problem. With a networked user (home on a 10.5.4 server) we observe the same lockup as described above. However, when I create a mobile account whereby the user home is synched to the local harddisk Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 (and Adobe Reader 9 as well) work flawlessly.
Same problem here.
Tried disabling Acrobat plugins. No luck.
Tried copying user plist files from local admin account to remote user account. No luck.
Read something about acrobat 7 having this issue and solution being to alias cache to local computer's shared folder. I tried this unsuccessfully.