Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat v8 doesn't like Cambria

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2009 Oct 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have started using Cambria font in all my MS Word 2007 documents. When I try print the documents to pdf using the Acrobat plug-in, I am unable to do. Problem seems to be caused by an incompatibility with Cambria font.

Current version of Acrobat Professional is 8.1.7.

MS Word's "Save As PDF" addon works. Is there a fix to the Acrobat plug-in I can use?

Interestingly, I don't have any problems with Cambria font and Excel 2007 printing to pdf.

Rael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generally

This problem never occurs

Can you tell me in detail exactly what happened when you did this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also run into this problem.  Windows 7, MS Word 2007, up to date version of Acrobat 8 is the setup.  If I uncheck the box on the print>>properties >>rely on system fonts only;do not use document fots, it seems to work.

I also added the fonts in the acrobat screens as per another poster's suggestions, but the conversion process stops when Acrobat sees the Cambria font.

Another poster used old fonts - perhaps I sould pull someoff another old machine and test it out.

Is Adobe going to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2010 Aug 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim06812: Acrobat 8 is not Windows 7 compatible.

Nothing but security fixes for any version but 9. Even version 9 fixes may be not be available for long since version 10 should be around the corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2011 Apr 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have almost all the problems detailed in this forum, and none of the proposed solutions solve them.

I am using Office 2010, and Adobe Acrobat Pro 9 Extended on Windows XP.  When I choose "Save As" and choose pdf, my Cambria Math equations are missing pieces.  When I choose "Print" and then employ the Adobe PDF Printer, The equations are replaced by a horizontal line.

I have tried to disable "Rely on system fonts only; do not use document fonts" in Adobe PDF Printing Preferences.  This does nothing.

I have tried to  "Always Embed" all 5 Cambria Fonts (Cambria, Bambria-Bold, Cambria-BoldItalic, Cambria-Italic, and CambriaMath) in the Adobe PDF Settings box stemming from the "Edit" option in the preferences.  This does nothing.

I have tried reinstalling old cambria.ttc, cambriaz.ttf, cambriab.ttf, and cambriai.ttf fonts from 2009 to my windows/fonts folder.  This does nothing.

I have tried installing new cambria.ttc, cambriaz.ttf, cambriab.ttf, and cambriai.ttf fonts from 2011 to my windows/fonts folder.  This does nothing.

It's impressive how there is NO solution to this problem, and I depend on creating pdfs with equations from Word.  Help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mnhoff,

Why don't you use MS Office's SaveAs PDF functionality and give Acrobat the flick?

Rael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PDFill is the freebie product that works great for me. I continue to have the problem with Cambria, or barfing Acrobat. Never have a problem with PDFill and the files it creates are editable in Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at the Adobe KB article

Acrobat 9 PDFMaker and Microsoft Office 2010 | Known issues

Can you print to the Acrobat PDF printer?

Have you tried OpenOffice.org?

Does your version of the cambia font have any licensing restrictions?

Math symbols may require special handling or even a special program created to deal with them. Look at a product like LaTex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks all for your efforts.  Unfortunately I still have the problem...

-Rael, read my post #28, 2nd paragraph, to see that indeed I tried the 'Save As, .pdf', but the equations were missing pieces.

-LizBRLA, I tried installing PDFill on top of Acrobat Pro 9, and it corrupted all my Word files.  I deinstalled Acrobat Pro, installed Acrobat Reader, then installed PDFill...it worked, but it doesn't fix the Cambria Math conversion problem; the equations do not survive in the final product.  For all those that are thinking of using PDFill, it is only useful if you don't have Acrobat Pro, which offers the same functionality.

-GKaiseril, very good suggestions.  Printing to an Acrobat PDF Printer using Acrobat Pro OR PDFill works, but the Cambria Math equations disappear.

How do I find out whether I have licensing restrictions on the Cambria font?

I was hoping to avoid installing something like openoffice or LaTeX, as I have a lot of work already set in Word.  There should be a workaround where Word can still be employed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have XP for OS? Here is the Microsoft solution

Try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

Windows XP > Control panel > Regional and language options > Languages tab > check the box for 'install files for complex script' and click on apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WOW!!!  You solved it, jallisy!  Thank you so much, you are my savior.  Indeed I'm still on XP, but setting the regional settings killed the Cambria Math pdf problem.  Hooray!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I read blurbs about the equation editor issue but don't work with it myself.

So glad it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are two solutions that have worked. It seems like it may be a problem with the equation editor in Office 2007+ on XP OS

per Natasha Dsouza at Microsoft Support:

Try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps:

Windows XP > Control panel > Regional and language options > Languages tab > check the box for 'install files for complex script' and click on apply.

Vista &7 should have complex script auto installed. See if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines