• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobot XI Pro - wrong icon (Bug)

Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.jpg

I m using Win 8 Pro, 64-Bit. You can see there is a wrong icon-association in Win 8. Did somebody else noticed this?

thankhttp://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&p=DOKJAA&search=association&trestr=0x8001s

TOPICS
Install update and subscribe to Acrobat

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Sorry, but I do not remember that one showing up when I installed AAXI on Win8. In any case, you should be able to use the windows tools to change the icon that Acrobat uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but I do not remember that one showing up when I installed AAXI on Win8. In any case, you should be able to use the windows tools to change the icon that Acrobat uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2012 Dec 18, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you use as well Office 2010 with Microsoft Picture Manager?

Than please give me instructions how to change that. It is not so easy as you think.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had installed OFFICE 2010 on a Win8 pre-release. Since installing Win8 I have not been successful with reinstalling OFFICE. SO I guess I can't answer that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can somebody else reproduce this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem too with the Acrobat XI Pro icon, only mine showed the Photoshop "PS" icon instead, in both the Windows 8 Apps and taskbar. Usually I would easily fix an icon problem this by changing the icon using the "Change Icon" setting in the Acrobat's Programs shortcut properties, but for some reason the "Change Icon" button was disabled for the Acrobat XI Pro icon, so I deleted the shortcut with the wrong icon and just created a new shortcut in Start Menu/Programs. Now the correct icon appears in both the Windows 8 Apps and taskbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I signed in to tell you how I solved this problem.

I have Adobe Acrobat XI Pro and Windows 7 64 bit.

All PDF icons are correct except in the taskbar... in my case it's showing the Gimp icon in stead.

Here's my fix:

1) Remove, unpin or delete Adobe  Acrobat icon from the Start Menu, the desktop and (if you have it there) from the taskbar.

2) Go to C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs  and you'll find the "sinner" "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro" with the wrong icon. The that looks like a shortcut. Delete it!.. Close the window.

3) Go to C: > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Acrobat 11.0 > Acrobat... and find Acrobat.exe

4) Right click on Acrobat.exe > Send to > Desktop

5) Right click again on Acrobat.exe > Pin to Start Menu... and close the window

6) Right click on Acrobat.exe - shortcut (that you just created on your desktop) > Copy

7) Go back to: C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs... and Paste the shortcut here (you need administrator privileges for that)

8) Rename this shortcut from "Acrobat.exe - shortcut" to "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro"

9) Close the window

10) Now if you open any PDF document, the right icon will appear on the taskbar.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2013 Nov 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your fix works, but it's an old icon for Acrobat - not the nice red one that it should be. But, better than the Photoshop PS icon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2013 Dec 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's what i did.... Windows 8.1 64bit...

1. Programs and features
  2. Right click on Adobe Acrobat
  3. Click change
  4. Click Repair

When it finished all of my icons were correct other than the START shortcut...so..

1. Go to start screen
  2. Right click on adobe (the one with the wrong icon)
  3. Click open file location at the bottom of the screen
  4. delete the shortcut from the folder it is in...not just the start screen...(if you only delete it from the start screen and pin it back it will still have the wrong icon...at least mine did)
  5. go to your desktop view right click on Adobe and click pin to start
  6. Icons should all be correct now

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2014 Aug 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks. I had the identical problem and spent ages trying to find a solution before seeing your simple answer. Worked a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2016 Feb 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I work in both programs frequently, and it was driving me nuts to have both show PS icons on my taskbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your fu is flawless.

Just a small hint: In order to find the ProgramData folder enter %ProgramData% in the Run command (Win+R) .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2014 Nov 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey ,

What you suggested works. Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2015 Jul 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fun2play's answer is the best one. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! Your instructions are well-written and worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2017 Sep 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks bro, its work!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Joshua...It really worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I fixed this on latest version of Windows 10 - 22/09/2016. For Adobe Acrobat Pro DC, although this should work for any program with a similar wrong icon issue. For the good PC proficient people I bolded the main steps for ease of access.

Unpin program from taskbar. (if applicable)

Unpin program from start menu. (if applicable)

Go to

Start Menu>All Apps>Adobe Acrobat Pro DC

and right click

More>Open File location

this should take you to

ProgramData>Microsoft>Windows>Start menu>Programs

Find the the "Adobe Acrobat Pro DC" shortcut.

To make sure it is a shortcut make sure your view mode is "details" and then have "type" as a detail enabled and it should say shortcut under type.

Delete this shortcut.

Find the original file exe. You have to do this manually as you deleted the start menu shortcut.

Mine was under

Program Files (x86)>Adobe>Acrobat DC>Acrobat

File name was

"Acrobat.exe"

right click and create shortcut of this exe

it should prompt you that you can't create shortcut here and ask to place on desktop, click yes

Rename the shortcut to  "Adobe Acrobat Pro DC"

Cut the shortcut and paste it to the original shortcut location that you deleted

that was: ProgramData>Microsoft>Windows>Start menu>Programs

To get to this location quicker: go to

Start Menu>All Apps

and right click any application

More>Open File location

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2016 Oct 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks that fixed it in my Win 10 installation.

Ridiculous how Adobe can't even get their icon right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2016 Oct 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how  you fix it in Windows 10:

1. Remove, unpin or delete Adobe Acrobat icon from the Start Menu, the desktop and (if you have it there) from the taskbar.
  2. Go to C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs and you'll find the "sinner" "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro" with the wrong icon. The that looks like a shortcut. Delete it!.. Close the window.
  3. Go to C: > Program Files (x86) > Adobe > Acrobat 11.0 > Reader... and find Acrobat.exe
  4. Right click on Acrobat.exe > Send to > Desktop
  5. Right click again on Acrobat.exe > Pin to Start Menu... and close the window
  6. Right click on Acrobat.exe - shortcut (that you just created on your desktop) > Copy
  7. Go back to: C: > ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs... and Paste the shortcut here (you need administrator privileges for that)
  8. Rename this shortcut from "Acrobat.exe - shortcut" to "Adobe Acrobat XI Pro"
  9. Close the window
  10. Now if you open any PDF document, the right icon will appear on the taskbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I believe the underlying reason is the Adobe MSI installer breaks Microsoft's rules for creating a Windows installer package. Under the documentation, we read:

Icon files that are associated with shortcuts must be in the EXE binary format and must be named such that their extension matches the extension of the target.... For example, if a shortcut is to point to a resource having the key file Red.bar, then the icon file must also have the extension .bar.

(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa369210(v=vs.85).aspx)

In the MSI installer for Adobe Reader DC / 2015 / 2017 we see the 'Icon' table entries, all of which have the extension '.ico' by default:

xUol3.png

If this was resolved, it would be possible to fix the problem permanently, even when the software is repaired / reinstalled.

If you edit the MSI with Orca and do a find/replace to change '.ico' to '.exe' on every relevant table, and then repair / reinstall the MSI, the problem does not reoccur. It would be helpful for Adobe to fix this in the MSI directly for everyone in another release.

I've also posted about this problem on Superuser: Adobe Acrobat Pro DC Shows Wrong Icon - Super User

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a frustrating issue in my corporate environment. Any update on this ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2018 Sep 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There will be no updates to Acrobat XI, ever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines