• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add a date field to a document?

Guru ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received a W9 PDF (US Tax form) to sign. There is a space for my signature where I have been able to insert a signature using Fill & Sign.

But when I try to use the Add Text in Edit PDF, I get an error message that I have to use Adobe LiveCycle to edit the document.

Is there no way to add the text to the existing document.

It seems strange that I can sign, but not date.

Acro edit irs.png

TOPICS
Edit and convert PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

For a digital signature use Tools > Certificates > Digitally Sign

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a digital signature field? If so, it will automatically contain the date when signed. Also, it's possible a script will populate the Date field when you sign it.

If not, there's not much you can (or should) do about it. If you believe it's not working correctly you should report the issue to the authors of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know where the company got the form, but I suspect it is from the US IRS.

As I said, "There is a space for my signature where I have been able to insert a signature using Fill & Sign."

When I use Fill and Sign, my signature shows in that area. But unlike the older "signatures" in previous versions of Acrobat, this contains only a simulation of handwriting.

sig in acro document.png

It would be great to know if a date is hiding electronically in the Fill and Sign signature, but I can't see where.

So, once again I ask, "Is there no way to add the text to the existing document?"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can type your name in that spot then you should be able to use the same tool to type the date as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67,

Please read this carefully as your answers are so wrong that they are frustrating me.

When I opened the PDF, there were quite a few highlighted form fields where I could type in information. Acrobat automatically highlights these fields in blue (sometimes purple) so people know where they can type.

Fields circled in red for this screen shot. It was very easy to click into those form fields and enter the information.

However, there were two empty spaces at the bottom of the field for "Signature" and "Date". I have pointed them out using red arrows in the screen shot. They were NOT highlighted form fields.

acro fields.png

I was able to use Acrobat's Fill & Sign tool to apply my signature over the blank area for Signature. This entered a signature, but no date. Do you need me to show you the steps to insert the signature using Fill & Sign? There is no opportunity to enter a date.

acro sign.png

Once I entered the signature, I wanted to enter a date in that space. Here's what I tried:

Clicking the "Add Text" tool. Using the Edit Form feature. Changing the Fill & Sign signature. None of those worked! I got the original error message that the form cannot be edited.

So, my original question was how to add a date field to the document?

But that may be the wrong question to ask. So how about, "How do I get the electronic signature added using the Fill & Sign controls in Acrobat Pro DC to show a date, similar to the signature created in previous versions of Acrobat Pro that showed a date?"

Now, if you don't understand the question, let me know.

At this point I am asking not because I need to apply the date. I've given up on that fantasy. I just want this to get some resolution because I know I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON WHO WILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until now you didn't mention there were form fields in this file. So I agree with Bernd, this was obviously meant to be printed and signed by hand, or they would have added fields to do it digitally.

Contact the IRS for further questions regarding this form.

PS. As an MVP you should be a bit more appreciative of the help you're getting from others. Remember we are volunteers, just like you, so be a bit more respectful. Also, it will help if you actually answer the questions you're asked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Jan 27, 2016 Jan 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67,

You are absolutely right. I was not clear in my original post that there were form fields in the file.

So I got frustrated by your replies. But you answered my question in good faith.

I apologize.

Now, here is a screen shot of what the older dig sigs looked like. You had a space for a sig image as well as printed name, date, and "reason" for signing. There was also any option to watermark the sig with a version of the Acro logo but I couldn't find a screen shot example.

Is there a way to have this info appear in the digital signature available for Fill and Sign?

dig sigs old.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Fill and Sign "signature" you're adding is not a real digital signature, it's just a stylized textual comment with your name in it.

The features you mention above still exist when you sign a real DigSig field. For whatever reason, the authors of this form decide not to add such a field to this file, so you can't really sign it. You can just stamp your name (and the date, as Bernd explained above) on the page, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a digital signature use Tools > Certificates > Digitally Sign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!!!

That's what I've been looking for!

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all of this! I, too, had the problem. Brilliant to put the date in the initials box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Fill & Sign tool you can add the date like your signature. Use the current date as initials.

Bild4b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Print the form and fill the printout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bernd,

You are kidding?

Please tell me you are kidding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2021 Jan 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would she want to know about digitally inserting a signature or a date if she was creating a manual paper document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is still an issue and I'd like to share my workaround. 

Fillout the provided text fields (full name, address, SSN).

Print to PDF (available in the printer select dropdown). This removes the edit restrictions.

Bring new PDF into Acrobat and add a text field for date.

Only downside I've found is that this process give the form a washedout look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines