• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ATTACH FILE BUTTON REQUIRED FIELD

Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. I have created a pdf form, and i needed a button for the user to attach files to it (it is an application form). Got the javascript for it and it works fine BUT you can click and upload as many files you want (i wish i could limit the button to 1 attached file) and i can't get the field to be required. As it is an application form,  i need all fields to be required, including the attach your file field. In short: i need a button that attaches the person's file (like hers/his resume for example) and also be a required field, meaning, if there is no attachment, the form can not be sent. Anyone with an idea to help me? This is what I have been trying for the last four hours and got nowhere: 

1- tried to create a text button that can be set as required, but even though the script works, form doesnt understand that the button doesnt need to be filled with text, so it blocks the form to be sent because it understands it is an empty field.

2- tried to create a required field checkbox and link it with the field so when file is attached, checkbox is filled and ready to go - no success... maybe this could be a way but i have no idea how to execute it the proper way

3- tried to use the regular button like it is supposed to be and add a script for making it required but couldnt find a script that works...

Don't know what else to do... so please... help!!

TOPICS
How to , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A button isn't a type of field that can have a value, so it won't work. A check box (and radio button group) has a non-blank value whether it's selected (export value) or not ("Off"), so it won't work. In the script that you use to prompt the user to select a file, you could set the value of a text field to something other than blank, and also make it required, and that would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response. But i can't make it a text field, because there is nothing to be filled as text in that button and because there is nothing to be field than the form doesnt let the person submit it. I have tried it... Would you like to take a look at the form?

And so you know, and maybe have a better solution, the idea is to block it somehow, from being sent without all the attached files required. (there are around 6 buttons "attach a file" in the form. My other idea, since I cannot make it a required field, is to have a checkbox that turns "checked" if the file is attached. and i can make the checkbox required, so if the user didn't attach the file, form cannot be submitted. When he attaches all the files, all checkboxes turn "checked" and they can submit the form. What do you think? I am totally opened to other ideas. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++Adding to the discussion,

Would you mind sharing the code you're using, and possibly the file (or an example of this file)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ls_rbls could you take a look into the form??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, wil do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot control the presence of an attachment by making a field required, whatever its type.

Clicking on a button does not mean anything, the user can then cancel the action or delete the attachment he has just added.

You must use a JavaScript code that checks for the presence of an attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your response.

Let me explain it better: I did find a javascript code that "attach the file" to the form. Now, since it is an application form, I would like to block it somehow, from being sent without all the attached files required. (there are around 6 buttons "attach a file" in the form. My other idea, since I cannot make it a required field, is to have a checkbox that turns "checked" if the file was attached. and the checkbox is required, so if the user didn't attach the file, form cannot be submitted. What do you think? I am totally opened to other ideas. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just an update - I am a designer, so I know absolutely nothing about javascript, but i am very hopeful there will be someone eles out in this world that tried to make an application form on a pdf form and run into all this... Find me and help me , oh lord of the application forms!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines