• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch OCR multiple PDFs in Acrobat DC

New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies if this is covered in another thread (they all seem to relate to pre-DC stuff). I have 100s of PDF files that I want to batch OCR/text recognise so that I can easily search for particular words across all of the files. Acrobat 8 used to allow this. Having just installed DC Mac I cannot find a way to start such a batch operation. It seems that you have to 'edit' each PDF, one at a time, which is going to take ages. I'm sure I've just missed something, as I can't believe Adobe would remove such an obviously useful feature. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? Thanks

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Hi,

Kindly follow the below mentioned steps to avoid getting a prompt to enter settings while applying OCR to each Pdf:-

1) Click on specify settings:-

1.png

2) You will receive a prompt to specify settings for all of the files as shown below:-

2.PNG

Specify the settings and click on "OK".

3). There is a chcek box just below this option which says "Prompt User" , kindly uncheck this box to receive the prompt for settings for every Pdf:-

3.PNG

4). Click on Save to save your action and run it. You will not receive the pr

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
May 28, 2015 May 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the risk of having a conversation with myself, I've made some progress with a workaround: By using the "Action Wizard" tool I have set it to optimize a batch of files. This process includes text recognition. HOWEVER, the process still requires me to confirm the quality settings for each document in turn, and to confirm I'd like to save the file in its optimised state after OCR, all of which is still frustrating. If I could find a way to have it automatically apply the same quality settings, and save each file, I'd be home and dry. Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I am looking for the same solution. Did you end up finding one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 15, 2015 Jun 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Kindly follow the below mentioned steps to avoid getting a prompt to enter settings while applying OCR to each Pdf:-

1) Click on specify settings:-

1.png

2) You will receive a prompt to specify settings for all of the files as shown below:-

2.PNG

Specify the settings and click on "OK".

3). There is a chcek box just below this option which says "Prompt User" , kindly uncheck this box to receive the prompt for settings for every Pdf:-

3.PNG

4). Click on Save to save your action and run it. You will not receive the prompt to specify settings on every Pdf and also you will be able to OCR on all your files.

Hope this helps !! Kindly let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tanvi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I have the same concern as the original question and found Tanvi's help very useful. I'm using Acrobat Pro DC. Here's what I did:

Action Wizard --> Recognise Text Using OCR --> Unchecked "Prompt User" --> Set "Default Option" to "Add Folder" so that I could select the folder with all my single-page PDFs --> saved tool as "Recognise Text Using OCR".

I then ran it on a folder full of single-page PDFs, but the problem is that after converting each file, it asks me whether I want to save it. This won't do for thousands of files. Any ideas? I could try combining my PDFs into one, running OCR and then splitting them up again, but that seems inefficient.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2016 May 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the end of the action add a save step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It worked for me. Thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a related question:  I run Adobe Acrobat DC Pro.  I OCR multiple files which have attachments (e.g., emails converted to pdf with pdf attachments imbedded and accessed via the paper clip in the side panel).  Can you include the attachments in the batch OCR process?  I've been unable to locate any solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way to have a drag and drop action....  or an action that runs when the document to be converted is dragged onto a droplet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2017 Feb 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Acrobat processes for OCR Text Under is the image recompressed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Tools > Enhance Scans there is an option that says "Or recognize text in multiple files" so you don't have to create the action, this does it all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines