Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Calculating quarters between dates with JavaScript

New Here ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have two boxes that capture input for time and date. I need to calculate the number of quarters between the input but I'm new to JS so I'm not sure where to start.

I have the formula in Excel with A4 being estarrival and B4 being estdeparture

=ROUNDUP((B4-0.0416666666666667-A4)*4,0)

How can I make this in Javascript?

So far, I only have: 

var f = this.getField("estdeparture").value;
event.value = f;

I'm thinking something like this but it's not giving me a value obviously because "this.getField("estdeparture").value;" is giving me the literal string when i try some basic debugging.

var depart = this.getField("estdeparture").value;
var return = this.getField("estreturn").value;

var final =  return - 0.0416666666666667 - depart * 4;
event.value = final;

Any help is appreciated!

TOPICS
JavaScript , PDF forms

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2023 May 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script you provided seems to have a couple of issues. Here are the problems and their respective solutions:

1. Invalid variable name: You are using a reserved keyword, "return," as a variable name. This will cause a syntax error. Change the variable name to something else, such as "returnDate."

2. Incorrect calculation: The formula for calculating the number of quarters between two dates is incorrect. Subtracting a constant value (0.0416666666666667) and multiplying the difference by 4 will not yield the desired result. Instead, you need to calculate the difference between the two dates and divide it by the number of milliseconds in a quarter.

Try this:

var depart = this.getField("estdeparture").value;

var returnDate = this.getField("estreturn").value;

var startDate = new Date(depart); var endDate = new Date(returnDate);

var differenceInMilliseconds = endDate - startDate;

var quarters = differenceInMilliseconds / (1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 30 * 3); // Assuming each quarter has 3 months

event.value = quarters;

The script calculates the difference in milliseconds between the two dates and divides it by the number of milliseconds in a quarter. The result will be the number of quarters between the dates, which will be assigned to event.value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2023 May 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks maxwithdax for this reply. I think there was a misunderstanding on the intent of this script. I'm calculating the quarters between two dates and time. There are four quarters to a day. I think your script calculates how many quarters per month.

The excel formula i provided works but I'm trying to translate that into JS. In Excel, a date like "6/9/2023 2:00 PM" can be represented by 45086.58 in Excel. I'm not sure what this number is or what excel did to make it represent that number. I think if I can get JS to convert that time and date to the same number, I can figure out the rest of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah..days... okay. yeah 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

var depart = new Date(this.getField("estdeparture").value);

var returnDate = new Date(this.getField("estreturn").value);

var differenceInMilliseconds = returnDate - depart;

var quarters = differenceInMilliseconds / (1000 * 60 * 15);
// Assuming each quarter is 15 minutes (60 minutes / 4)

event.value = quarters;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Check for empty fields if you don't want NaN error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines