• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot Print Any PDF file - MacOS High Sierra 10.13.2 Error can't open /private/var/spool/cups/tmp/

New Here ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS 10.13.2

Adobe Pro DC 2018.009.20050 - no further updates are available to download

Printing to HP Deskjet F4280

Had no problems with pdf printing before, ever.

All MacOS print drivers up to date; no further HP drivers available; no PDFs print at all.

All other apps print - Word, multiple browsers, test prints from the print utility, etc.

Update: Printing works when printing using Preview -- but not native Adobe Pro DC.

Please help.

--Thanks, Russ K

Title and Message was edited by: Russ Krauss

Message was updated by: Russ Krauss

TOPICS
Print and prepress

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Solved with the new update mac os x 10.13.6

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markthemoment  wrote

Printer not relevant.

The printer is always relevant. As is the OS (you gave it) and the dot version of the program!

There are a lot of complaints about printing problems that let me assume that some printer drivers are not conforming. There are also complaints where Adobe acknowledged a problem.

Mostly, users claim that when Preview prints, Adobe Acrobat should also print. But according to people with some MacOS experience, Preview is not a complete implementation of the PDF standard.

(I do not have a MacOS system so I can’t do a troubleshoot in this sense, but it’s always problematic with Apple when you do an upgrade that some programs do not work anymore as they used before.)

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will seek out the data and post. But I think your point, while generally sensible, ignores the key fact that quite a number of users have the same issue with different printers, only since the Mojave upgrade, and only with Adobe. I'm agnostic as to whether Mojave is at fault or Adobe but it seems quite a number of users have same issue and nothing fixes it but total reinstall. So I hope Adobe and Apple work out the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markthemoment  wrote

I will seek out the data and post. But I think your point, while generally sensible, ignores the key fact that quite a number of users have the same issue with different printers, only since the Mojave upgrade, and only with Adobe. I'm agnostic as to whether Mojave is at fault or Adobe but it seems quite a number of users have same issue and nothing fixes it but total reinstall. So I hope Adobe and Apple work out the issue

Upgrades are always problematic. I always try to avoid being the first on my productive systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that after Mojave upgrade, I cannot print pdfs from Mac OS but, I can print from my IPAD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your iPad runs a different OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also am having this issue.  I'm amazed at the folks here who want to suggest it is something other than an Adobe Issue.

Rather than run down all the specifics of my situation, how do we expedite this to Adobe to get their attention.  Here are some facts that make it seem to be an Adobe app problem.

We can print PDFs fine through other applications (not a PDF corruption problem)

We can print other documents on the same printer just fine (not a printer problem)

I can't print PDFs from Adobe's own application!

I'm running Mac OSX 10.14.2

Adobe Acrobat DC:

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 19.10.20064.311007

AGM: 4.30.83

CoolType: 5.14.5

JP2K: 1.2.2.42216

Someone at Adobe please respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2 years later and the problem is still not fixed

While trying to print a pdf from Adobe Acrobat DC version :

Architecture: x86_64

Build: 19.10.20069.311970

On OSX 10.13.3, that I can't update to keep compatibility with other softwares.

To an epson L360 printers

It results in an error "Stopped - Can't open /private/var+spool/cups/074ec8c4fbab0"

Printing PDF works perfectly fine with OSX preview app, it is 100% Adobe incompatibility with OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

the issue seems pretty unpredictable. According to our tech gurus here it doesn't arise if you have a postscript driver, but not all printers have such a thing. My Brother Laser does not.

In my case, the issue has just disappeared with the latest upgrade to Mojave. But since this problem seems to affect people so randomly, I'm not sure this is an improvement to Mojave or just a system change on my MacBook Pro that happens to have allowed Adobe to work. 

A work around is to print from Preview, or to print as image from Adobe.

Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Markthemoment  wrote

In my case, the issue has just disappeared with the latest upgrade to Mojave.

Well that looks like an OS induced problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It ONLY happens when printing from within the Adobe Acrobat Pro software.  Word works fine.  Preview works fine.  Printing from Google works fine.  Printing from Safari works fine.  Xcel works fine.  Notes works fine.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2023 Jun 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is dead.  Set Preview as default and or open in Chrome.

there is no Adobe for Mac users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like ☹️. This issue is open since around 2017 (for five years now!!) , there are several community threads, I have reported it serveral times to Adobe, sent them log files, talked to their engineering, entered juicy feedbacks into their client survey Acrobat popup boxes - nothing happened so far. I am currently printing PDFs with macOS preview, but some options aren't available there (e.g. booklets). Frustrating, disappointing and unprofessional!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 04, 2023 Jun 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope this is fixed soon. Some pdfs that are printed from the internet do print. Those attached to emails  generally do not unless you change the preference to view  with PREVIEW.  This is a real pain. I have talked to Adobe Support and  to Apple Support, no relief in site.

MAC OS 10.14.2

Adobe Reader & the New Adobe Acrobat

Epson ET -4750 Printer with updated drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2019 Jan 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pruyn  wrote

Some pdfs that are printed from the internet do print.

Printing from inside a browser does use the internal browser's PDF engine, not Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2019 Mar 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here,

Running High Sierra 10.13.6, so i don't know how to reinstall the same upgrade

using 2 epson wf 3620 and Stylus b1100 and a Brother dcp 7030

2 days ago everything was working, yesterday Acrobat 9 Pro stopped printing

same error code "Stopped - Can't open /private/var+spool/cups/*********"

does anyone tried to install a new Acrobat to see if it fixes the issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2019 Jul 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Print as image" -- did the trick for me. Much easier than reinstalling the OS, and all that that entails. Thank you Markthemoment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print as image does 2 things:

• It rips the PDF content using Adobe's built in ripping engine.
  • It sends a picture to the printer.

In general, when "Print as image" works, that would mean that anything that does not work is not connected to Acrobat and the printing subsystem controlled by Adobe.

I wouldn't have guessed this as a solution to be honest.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

10.14.6 and same problem with PDF files. Everything updated Thanks for the tip to use Preview. That works great! Fantastic to use my Brother printer again for PDFs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same effect (see my forum entry) - it occured to me the first time after I upgraded to macOS Catalina. I have followed up a few times with Adobe through DM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it was printing from InDesign with default settings. I would get the error unless I printed as bitmap.

I was able to fix this issue and replicate it numerous times by disabling the Email Shield in Avast for Mac's Core Shield section. No idea why the File Shield wouldn't be the culprit but whatevs. This one was driving me nuts. Now on to Avast's site to report it to their devs. Onward and upward. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2020 Dec 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this tip!

I encountered the problem using InDesign + Mojave as well. Tried updating printer driver, reset printer system, manually deleting and re-adding the printer. Still had the problem. 

Only using the "Print as Bitmap" option under "Advanced" allowed me to successfully print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any new real solutions? I use Mac OS10.14 and had no problem with 10.13. It affects both Acrobat and Indesign. I have re-installed the printer, re-set it, but no luck.  I use work-arounds such as printing from Preview, in bitmap, but it adds extra work several times a day. Surely someone in Adobe knows a solution? Or is this the future way for Adobe users to print - not to use Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 02, 2021 Oct 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on macOS 11.6 now (Big Sur), and the issue is still unsolved. Adobe doesn't care despite several feedbacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I WAS on macOS 10.14, Adobe DC printed fine via USB and airpint, I upgraded to 10.15, then my PWD was not any more accepted when screen went on pause, they told me, I had to upgrade to 10.16 -same- so I downgraded from Backup to 10.14 and see:

ADOBE cannot open private/var/spool/cups/tmp

AND: endless reinstallations and set backs from printers Adobe Apps SMC in various combinations endless CHitChats with Apple, Chatbots from Adobe, Brother have not led to a change....

It is definitely the wonderful Apple-World which is overcome and started to fall apart - and for us time to live with the mesaage that this and that is not working as we learned from MS - shame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines