• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

color contrast for accessibility

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am porting a document from MS Word 13 into a PDF. I converted it to PDF from Word and am running Acrobat Pro. I need the document to be 508 compliant but when I run "Full Check" on the "Accessibility" panel, it flags the document with a "Color Contrast" error. The document is only one page, using 11 point Arial solid black text (r,g,b = 0,0,0) on a plain white background with no graphics. I tried correcting the issues by playing with the settings under "Edit > Preferences > Document Colors Options". The error still will not clear. Any suggestions?

TOPICS
Standards and accessibility

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the checker telling you "Color contrast - Needs manual check"? If so, this is not an error, just a friendly reminder. Color contrast, along with correct reading order and many other accessibility factors, cannot be reliably machine-checked and requires knowledgeable human inspection. Passing the Acrobat accessibility checker is a great first step, but should never be confused with 508 compliance. 

For human inspection of color contrast, a great tool is the Colour Contrast Analyser from the Paciello Group (https://developer.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/)

For reading order and other accessibility factors that required human inspection, a great tool is the Screen Reader Preview built into PAC3 from Access for All (https://www.access-for-all.ch/en/pdf-lab/pdf-accessibility-checker-pac/downloading-pac.html)

Both of these tools are free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bevi---

This is very helpful----thanks.

- michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The color contrast - check manually does warrant a further check if you are trying for government level (Section 508) compliance. There is an add on that only checks color contrast. I've had to deal with this a few times lately, and even though the PDF was approved by the in-system checker, it failed the 508 compliance for contrast. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the add-on and where can it be gotten?

Thanks,

P James Norris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This (free) software should be mandatory on all computers : https://www.colororacle.org/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JR Boulay, do you know who makes the Color Oracle add-on?

There isn't any clue on the website, other than the website's developer is from Australia.

My government and corporate clients need to know the who and where of software before they can download and install on their system computers.

It looks like a fabulous gem!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can find him at the Monash University, Melbourne, Australia.

His email address is at the bottom of this page: http://berniejenny.info/

I can't help you furthermore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines