• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Converting an Excel document to pdf format.

Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English style date on Excel document (day/month/year) changes to US style date on the pdf document. How do I retain the UK style date? I had a reply on a Community Forum 5 minutes ago but struggled to understand it. The response given was to set up the format in the Text Field Properties but that doesn't mean anything to me as all I am doing is converting Excel to pdf. I don't know where such a text Field is or whether it can be used when all I am doing is converting one format to another, not creating a pdf document from scratch 

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am the one who replied to your earlier question, Colin.

Let's start here: do you have Adobe Acrobat Professional or the free Adobe Reader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe Reader - that I paid for

Sent from my iPad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

Being new to any forum, I am unclear what options are now open to me. I replied

to Barbinder but have heard nothing in response. Do I assume that I am unlikely

to get an answer from anyone?

In case anyone is interested, my problem was:-

When I convert an Excel document to a pdf document the date dd/mm/yyyy in Excel

changes to mm/dd/yyyy in pdf. All I wanted to do was to retain the English

format dd/mm/yyyy.

I am using Adobe Reader X that I purchased from Adobe Systems in November, 2016.

Regards,

Colin Pryor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Colin.

Can you specify how you created the PDF?  The Adobe Reader does not create PDF files, only opens already-existing ones.  From within Excel, did you use the 'Save as Adobe PDF' option?  Also, what operating system are you running?  Mac? Windows?  I will try to recreate your issue once I learn how you created the PDF.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

Many thanks for the reply.

My version of Adobe Reader is labelled Adobe Reader X. I purchased it on line

from Adobe Systems last November. The only reason I bought it was to convert

Excel invoices to pdf's. It is obviously different from the basic Adobe Reader

that you can access for free. The opening frame of Adobe Reader X has a box

'create pdf files', click on it and all it asks you to do is search and find the

Excel you want to convert and press 'convert'. It is as simple as that. It does

it perfectly except for the transposition of the day and month.

I am a little embarrassed to say that I am still running Windows Vista and a

2007 version of Excel. I don't think they are the problem but I remain to be

convinced otherwise.

Regards.

Colin P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Adobe Reader X. I purchased

NO - Reader is FREE Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Install for all versions

Reader is only to read... not create

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

Although Adobe has long produced several different 'flavors' of their Acrobat products (Standard, Pro), I believe that only one version of "Reader" exists with each Acrobat release.  Also, if you purchased Reader, there is some sort of issue at hand, as Reader has always been free.  One other thought is that version X of the Adobe Acrobat products are a number of years old, and last year's 'current model' would not have been version X, I believe.

All that said, can you post a screenshot of the screen that you see that offers to create PDFs ? 

I created a new Excel doc and formatted a column to Date (UK) format.  In all my attempts to create a PDF from this, the resulting PDF maintained the UK date format.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again Dave,

Screenshot attached

Colin P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colin,

I received your email, but I don't see an attachment.  I would follow up on your purchase information.  I am inclined to believe that you may have purchased Acrobat as opposed to Reader.  And perhaps you did not download and install the acquired software?  In any case, we'll see what we can figure out once you have more details.  For that screenshot, can you insert the image into your next post here?  Click the icon that (barely) looks like a mountainside and sun in the sky.  That's the 'insert image' button.

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Since emailing you that screenshot, I have been onto Adobe's website to do a

search on the product I bought - and it is not there.

I have a bona fide receipt from Adobe Systems Software in Dublin. It lists a

product reference number 22002711.

My next course of action is to contact Adobe Systems to see what they supplied

and whether I should change it.

Strange as I only bought it 2 months ago on line from Adobe Systems

Regards,

Colin P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied to Barbinder but have heard nothing in response.

Hi Colin—sorry to disappear. This is a user-to-user forum—we are users like you, not Adobe staff members—and we volunteer on the forum in our spare time. I have been in class all day. You are in great hands with Dave__M —he knows his stuff. It looks he is waiting for a screen shot from you to be able to help, use this button on the chat toolbar to add an image to your response. The one you thought you added did not appear.

JIVE Add screen shot to reply.png

Where we are all confused is by your statement that you purchased Adobe Reader X last November. As John T Smith​ correctly noted above, Reader is—and has always been—free. You can purchase Acrobat Standard or Pro. Here is a feature comparison between he three products: Acrobat X Reader, Standard, Pro vs. Suite: Compare the Differences | ProDesignTools. The current version of Acrobat is DC—X was from 2010—so it wouldn't have been for sale in 2016.

I think we are all wondering what you did purchase from Adobe in November!

I'm guessing we can help if you show us exactly how you are creating the PDFs. As Dave__M mentioned, he was unable to recreate the issue using (presumably current versions of) Excel and Acrobat. Screen shots are better than words to get us back on track.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again,

Please excuse my ignorance but I am struggling to save a screen image (of the Adobe Reader X page to then drop it on an email using the Insert Image icon in email. I've tried the print screen function on my laptop, which allows me to drop the image on to a blank Word doc. But it won't allow me to drop it on to an outgoing email.

I sent an attachment to Dave showing that screen image but even though that attachment is clearly visible in my sent items, Dave can't see it - which I don't understand. So, can you tell me the correct way of taking a screen image (Adobe Reader X open on my laptop screen) and saving it, to then drop it on a new email using the Insert Image icon.

Thanks for your help thus far

Best regards

Colin P

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, Colin. I'm a Mac user and I haven't seen Vista in years. What you are trying to do is take screen shot, save it as a file, and use the button I showed above to add it to the chat window.

Googling, I see these instructions. I believe the Snipping tool has a File menu. Use it to save the screen shot to your desktop, then add it to your response.

Google Chromess_001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does have a save feature.  I found this video (a bit long winded), but it does show how to use the Vista snipping tool:

See how to take screenshots with the Windows Vista snipping tool. - YouTube

Once 'snipped' and saved, you can insert the saved image to a forum post with the insert image button!

My best,

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, I'll have a go in the morning.

Many thanks for your patience

Colin P

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a go in the morning. Thanks for your patience

Colin P

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem at all.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines